Author Topic: Puppy fluff  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Puppy fluff
« on: August 09, 2016, 06:11:52 AM »
I have been taking my boy to a lovely groomer since he was young to get him used to going and it has always been great. My boy is a pet dog but wanted him to have the best adult coat he could. My groomer doesn't hand strip but will give him a more natural cocker look using coat king and thinning scissors if needed, which I was quite happy with. I don't like using scissors which is why I take him to the groomer but was happy to try to hand strip him myself when he is ready and bought the spratts comb etc.
 Well I took my little woolly mammoth for a bath and trim and his puppy fluff has been trimmed so it's nearly all off. He looks lovely, his coat is still long and he has come out in a most gorgeous shinning rich dark chocolate colour...who knew that was under all that ginger frizz!  :005
Never had a cocker before and everyone said not to be tempted to clip off the puppy fluff. Will a light trim all over ( basically cut off most the fluff) like this have the same effect on his coat a clipping?
Thanks
Tracy

Offline moneypenny

• Donator
Re: Puppy fluff
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 10:10:29 PM »
I see no one has replied so I'm just bumping this thread along. I don't really know the answer to your question. All I can tell you is that I battled on for three years before Penny's luxurious coat got too much for me. I finally gave up and got her clipped. Now I get her clipped twice a year and use the coat King and scissors to keep her coat under control for the rest of the time.
But it seems to me that all cocker coats are different. Some don't need much grooming at all.
Hope someone with more expertise comes along to answer your question.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 07:11:58 AM »
I'm a bit the same, which is why I didn't feel qualified to answer. I'd read everywhere that the puppy fluff should be plucked out, or handstripped but when I first took Humphrey (at about 8 months) the groomer said it wasn't really at the stage where she could do that, so she just did a tidy up with the coat king and scissors. She also remarked that the cockers often don't have such thick coats "these days", so I imagine they do vary....
Humphrey's now coming up to 15 months, I go over with a comb/elastic band once a week and that's got rid of most of the fluff and I've got an appt. with a groomer, who just does cockers, at the end of the month. She's adamant that clipping and coat king should never be used along the back, as it spoils the coat but As my breeder told us to buy a coat king, I am confused!! I shall ask the new groomer to explain it to me properly and will let you know how we get on! Sorry not to be of more help!

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:44:21 PM »
Thank you.  :D  It sounds like I am not the only one getting different information.
That would be great if you could let me know what your new groomers advice is.
He does have some fluff left so will keep trying withe the spratts and band and see what happens until his next appointment.
Thanks again
Tracy

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »
I have a Coat King but only use it in Henry's ears, chest and feathers. The fur on his back is very smooth and glossy and I don't think much would come out anyway.

We had him clipped because he REALLY doesn't deal well with warm weather and I was concerned when I could see he'd been clipped along his back as well. But it has grown out very nicely. Before that he had just been scissor trimmed and combed out.

Sorry, that doesn't address the puppy fluff issue! As we never intended to hand strip I didn't look into the ins and outs. Our groomer is great at keeping the Cocker look while not hand stripping and I find his coat fairly easy to manage with a weekly going over with the Coat King and a slicker brush.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »
It's impossible to give you a definite answer as it so often depends on the coat - a fine, silky coat can be ok after light trimming (using tools like a coat king or thinning scissors) but other thicker coats may not be & can grow back woolly/wavy after the use of tools. If the coat has been clipped, it can look lovely initially but the regrowth again may be woolly/wavy. If tools have only been used once, it's quite possible you will still be able to hand strip the coat when regrowth starts again but only time will tell so it's a waiting game!
Jane

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 04:27:34 PM »
Thank you all for your replies,  it does really help. I must admit I think he seems happier in the heat with it off.  :D