Author Topic: Is castration really necessary after lump removal?  (Read 490 times)

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
Is castration really necessary after lump removal?
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:40:37 PM »
I found a small pea size lump about an inch under Pepper's bottom about three months ago and had it checked out at the vets who after a biopsy told me it was nothing to worry about. It has grown a bit since then so I took him back last week and although they said it looked OK still, it was up to me if I wanted to monitor it or just get it removed. They did say however that if I did have it removed they would normally carry out castration in this situation as this could reduce the risk of more lumps in the future.

Is this normal? I've read a lot of the other posts on here about lump removal but can't see anything that talks about castration. I don't really want to get Pepper castrated unless I really have to but also don't want to not have it done (if that makes sense) if that's best for him.

He will be seven in May, if that makes a difference.

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Is castration really necessary after lump removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:25:30 PM »
Have they said what the lump is? My first Cocker had an Anal Adenoma when he was 8 or maybe 9. It wasn't cancerous but was something to do with his hormones, or triggered by his hormones, so the vet recommended castration as well as removal of the lump. We went ahead with that and he had no further "man" problems.

If I were you I'd be asking the vet for some clarification about the apparent link between Pepper's lump and castration.

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:54:20 PM »
Hi Elaine,

I think it was a benign tumour but couldn't be 100%, just remember it wasn't anything to be worried about...

I think they just said that neutered males have less occurrences of these types of lumps so guess it's something to do with excessive testosterone?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 10:07:36 PM »
I sometimes find it a bit hard to concentrate on exactly what the  vet's telling me as I get a bit distracted trying to keep Humphrey calm. It sounds as if you're not really clear about what the vet means. Maybe if you pop back in,  without Pepper, or give them a call, and just ask them to explain it again. Its a big decision to make and you'll feel happier making it when you understand the facts and they've answered all your questions.
All the best for Pepper!