Author Topic: Conjunctive Itus?  (Read 749 times)

Offline tris

Conjunctive Itus?
« on: January 04, 2016, 07:02:06 AM »
Does this look like conjuctive itus? Has been weepy for a week or so more so in the mornings when I come down to her. Eyes are not red or irritated/angry looking. My wife is going to book her in with the vet later on as a precaution but thought I'd gauge the opinion here.

Offline tris

Re: Conjunctive Itus?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 07:03:10 AM »

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 07:51:39 AM »
Could be a number of things - allergies etc - but it is impossible to diagnose it from a photo.  Best to get the vet to check.  You can bathe her eyes with cold black tea in the meantime as that is very soothing for sore eyes  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline tris

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:16:09 PM »
Thankyou Joules will try the tea later on this evening. She is booked in for Weds to see the Vet.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »
I had lots of problems with conjunctivitis. The GP nurse told me to get Baby Shampoo. This does not sting eyes.
Well at least not much.

You use just a few drops ina wash-basin of warm water and wash the eyes as much as possible.
This worked om me.

Any kind of eye problem on the dog, grit, flies, weeping etc and I do this. So far has worked out fine.
All that is happening is that the liquid allows the water to "wet" the eye more easily.

I use a small sponge and just go for it. He really does not mind.
And he would moan like mad if it hurt.

Offline daw

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:19:05 PM »
You can buy something called Golden Eye Ointment from chemists...it's safe for children so fine for dogs. I always use it when there's a sore eye and a delay getting to vets. It's really soothing.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 08:42:24 PM »
The usual human antibiotic for conjunctivitis is Chloramphenicol.
I believe this is now available off prescription and it is extremely effective.

Do your own web research but I believe this is safe for dogs.

When my dog had an operation to remove a corn-cob he had swallowed whole, every single vet-drug used was in fact a common human drug.

In fact he took the full adult human dose of Morphine for a week. The dosage worried me.
On checking up on this i found its because a dog passes the dose through more quickly so less gets into the blood.

I was very careful with when and how I gave him this however. Time of day, amount hydration, time after food etc all more critical.

Offline tris

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »
Thanks everyone, Alan I felt this was the case as when my ols springer was old with arthritis alot of the drugs were common to human drugs. In the end we went to the vet to the tune of £50 for a drug that is avail online for about 1/4 of the price with a prescription! In future will be asking the vet for a prescription and sourcing it myself.