Author Topic: advice on front legs  (Read 826 times)

Offline lescef

advice on front legs
« on: August 31, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »
Bramble is a light blue roan. The white bits of her coat are very thin, fluffy and knot easily. The top of her body stays silky and flat,  using the elastic band method.  I manage the rest of her with the comb, coat king and thinning scissors.. Because her body top  is so flat I don't want to clip her if can help it, but her front legs are a nightmare. I like the legs to look 'chunky' rather than shaped to the bone but they are so thick and woolly, I've tried coat king, thinning and just scissors but they just seem a mess.
 I  don't know the best way to deal with them. Any suggestions please?
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: advice on front legs
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 06:24:08 PM »
Sounds like she has a very similar coat to Louis. He's a medium blue roan show type, but with less coat than many show types. His coat along the top of his back is flat and silky and I just use a comb with a rubber band threaded through it there, and down the back of his neck and the outsides of his back legs.

I use a 10 blade on my clippers to clip under his chin and down his throat to the breast bone. I do the same on the front of his front legs and a little way round the sides of them, leaving feathering at the back. I know what you mean by not clipping really short on the front legs and I clip carefully and leave enough hair that I can then blend in the edge between the clipped bits and the feathering so he doesn't end up looking out of proportion with skinny legs and a hairier body!

Hope that makes sense :D

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:44:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Elaine. I had been wondering about the possibility of clipping bits and combing other bits, but didn't want to make even more mess. I had wondered about a No 5 blade on the kegs which might leave them chunkier looking.?
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 09:35:52 PM »
I think I've used a 7 blade on the legs before now. I used the 10 when I did Louis this morning because I couldn't be bothered to change blades! Give the 5 a try and see what it looks like :D