Author Topic: Archie bitten daughter again - out of options  (Read 27702 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Archie bitten daughter again - out of options
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »
Unfortunately, we are not progressing as well as I'd have liked.  Also, the rescue is in Cornwall, I'm in Yorkshire.  Hubby runs a small business and can rarely have any time off at present, that is why I'm hesitating for the moment....

There are avenues to explore re transport: first of all you would need to get the official agreement of the rescue that they accept responsibility for him once he has permanently left your house on the transport run.
The forum Rescue Helpers Unite has a transport section. Take a look (free).The rescue itself needs to be a member (free)  and then they can set up a rescue chain.  Id suggest that you let the rescue organise transport, rather than have the worry of doing it yourself., as it can be very frustrating 😉  you have enough worries as it is... All transporters are usually volunteers. Dogs are taken in controlled situations, eg crated or behind guards, always on lead, watered, toilet breaks etc.
I do know of dogs that have gone from South Essex to Scotland, so your distance isn't insurmountable, just takes a bit longer to coordinate.

I agree - four paws now do all of their transport runs all the way but have had to arrange transport runs before to bring dogs into rescue - often I ask how far can you reasonably take a dog re owner 1st (one owner brought her daughter's dog for her on train down to Bristol from Hull and then Nicola on here met her and took cocker to Lizzies Barn) - even if its a short distance its a help
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2015, 06:24:02 PM »
My concern is that it might be too upsetting for Lesley to take Archie all that way even if with her husband.

So if there are folks out there with knowledge that might help Lesley if she were to take the steps.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline PennyB

« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2015, 06:31:41 PM »
My concern is that it might be too upsetting for Lesley to take Archie all that way even if with her husband.

So if there are folks out there with knowledge that might help Lesley if she were to take the steps.

Julie
No one was suggesting that but it really helps if someone can go a few miles at least and there is some advice above re rescue helpers plus she needs to ask rescue really not here
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2015, 06:56:51 PM »
am not sure if I missed it but when he's biting is he marking the skin or drawing blood

The first two bites were deep wounds (teeth weals), bruising and lots of bleeding, around 5cm in size, the second one has left a scar on her thigh  :'(  The third he made contact with her foot and bruised/grazed it but I managed to grab his collar before he bit deeply (he'd have savaged me also whilst I was doing this had I not been able to twist his collar tight and get him in the crate). 

I will contact Spaniel Aid, I've also contacted a few more rescues but all have said they cannot rehome a biter.

Re. transport, we may be able to get him down to Cornwall but not until mid November.  Hubby runs a small business and staff have holidays booked in the coming couple of months so he can't be off. 

Thank you everyone for your continued kind words/offers of accommodation and suggestions, they are very much appreciated.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2015, 07:36:35 PM »

Julie

Just discovered The Animal Team... Sounds worth trying...  http://theanimalteam.org.uk
This could be door to door, so no worry about hubby having time off.
Other rescues I've done this for have always welcomed a donation towards transport, but its not essential.
The receiving rescue really ought to be organising transport, but its good to know that there are avenues you could suggest if needed.

Offline cockerlover1

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2015, 09:49:15 PM »
I'm sorry but yet again I'm going against the grain here, but wanting to form some sort of transport chain in my eyes would be more stress for Archie, plus people will be in danger of getting bitten.

I'm sorry but I still stand by what I said before, you are doing what any true animal lover should do and take responsibility for your dog. You have given everything a go he sounds so unhappy, don't pass the problem and stress to Archie on. Yes it's hard but Pts is the kindest thing for him. Let him go have fun over the bridge and put your family first. Anything could happen between now and November.

I couldn't live with myself knowing he's been past on. I am in NO way saying any of the above rescues would do this but a lot of rescues are not what they say they are. Think of the stress he's going through now and double it in an environment he doesn't know.

Has your vet agreed to PTS? Have you had that conversation with him/her?

The odd person in this thread has made the toughest decision to PTS but they all know where there pet is and in the long run its for the better.

You have said your daughter already has a scar, she has to live with this for the rest of her life. If a random dog did that in the street you would have it reported and Pts but yet you have a dog in your house that bites for no reason.

Do you know it's now law under the DDA to report any dog bite? Have you done that?

I'm so sorry if this post is too blunt and upsetting but I feel it needs to be said. Take care and hugs to you at this hard time.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »
Maybe this will help you think about what to do!

Do you think Archie has a good quality of life as it is at the moment ?
Is he happy ?
Is he stressed ?
How will he cope if moved to kennels or in a new home ?
Will you be able to move on if REHOMED or will you want to find out what happened to him?
How will you feel if a rescue decides to have him PTS ?

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2015, 08:37:40 AM »
TBH it is time to stop analysing and I am going to be blunt and stop pussyfooting around.   :shades: 

You know what you need to do.  Archie cannot stay with you whatever.

So, there are 2 options:

1.  You have a potential rescue space for him with a place that is experienced with his type of issue.  They are far more likely to be able to turn round his behaviour than you are.  Yes, it is a long way and difficult to get him there but, if you can't do it yourself, you have plenty of suggestions of how it could be done.  If you want to give him every chance of a life at all, you need to get him down there asap, no excuses!  There are people on here who have turned round dogs not dissimilar to him and in a different, child free, household the dogs have been perfectly fine.

2.  You have him PTS - problem solved, although it is not a great outcome for you or Archie.  :'(

His (and your) quality of life sounds pretty grim at the moment and so this situation cannot continue.

There is no magic solution to this, you have tried, it is not working, so you need to make a decision and go through with it!!
Julie and Watson

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2015, 09:35:12 AM »
I absolutely agree with Joules and really hope you will put Archie first here. He has been thrown a remarkable lifeline that many of us didn't think he would get from a rescue.  You need to grab it with both hands and do whatever it takes to get him there.  It might not be there in November.  Are the rescue going to keep that space open indefinitely?  What if he bites your daughter again or someone else between now and then?  Will they still take him?

He has badly attacked and bitten your daughter to the point of causing bleeding wounds twice and scarring her for life.  How many times do you want her to be attacked?  You might think you are managing the situation but I should imagine after the first bite, you thought you were managing it enough to prevent the second and yet he still got to her a third time.

I think Joules sums it up perfectly when she points out that this rescue stands a much better chance of rehabilitating Archie than you do.  You can't fix him.  I'm not being critical of you.  I couldn't fix him either.  I spoke to you weeks ago when you first started this post because I thought we might be able to help as we have dealt with dog aggression before, but I have no experience of a dog with the scale of Archie's problems who has attacked several times drawing blood in the way he has and I wouldn't know where to start.  Let him have this final opportunity with people who have the experience to give him a chance at life.

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2015, 10:57:02 AM »
I just want to add my experience - not with a cocker but with a border collie.  For unknown reasons he didn't like my youngest son (9 at the time).  He snapped at him a few times, I was offered a rescue space but didn't take it as I wanted to persevere. He then bit my son on the ear, he needed hospital treatment and antibiotics so we made the decision to put the dog to sleep - I couldn't risk worse injury to my son or anyone else.
I am so sorry you are in this position, you have tried so very hard, but I do feel it is time to put an end to the situation as soon as you possibly can.  Sending hugs, I know the guilt you will feel but it really isn't your fault.

Offline fionad

« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »
Shouldn't this post be closed? So many opinions but only one family who can ultimately sort it.

Don't put off your decision any longer. You are just prolonging the agony.

(And I speak from experience)

Big hugs to you all.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »
Shouldn't this post be closed? So many opinions but only one family who can ultimately sort it.

Don't put off your decision any longer. You are just prolonging the agony.

(And I speak from experience)

Big hugs to you all.

Good idea to close the topic.  I don't think there's any more advice that hasn't already been given.

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
I agree - there have been plenty of suggestions and opinions - now Lesley and her family will have to decide what they are going to do in the best interests of everyone concerned.

I will lock this thread for now and Geordietyke, you can perhaps message a mod when you have made a decision.  We can then re-open it or you can start a new one.

Good luck whatever you decide  ;)
Julie and Watson