Author Topic: Training with another dog around  (Read 1236 times)

Offline chelle83

Training with another dog around
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »
Hi

Orla is currently on her second obedience course which is the next step up from the puppy class. We have also decided to take with us our 8 year old springer spaniel as I wanted Orla to realise she couldn't be with Ozzy at every moment and she needed to listen and respond to me even when he is about as this is an issue we currently have.
She is great when I take her out o a walk alone but as soon as we walk them together she follows him everywhere and completely ignores any command  I give her.
Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this as it can be very frustrating when I know she is more than capable of understanding me.

Thanks
Chelle and Orla

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Re: Training with another dog around
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:04:19 PM »
I'm in the same situation as you so will be interested in any comments!
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
It can certainly be a mixed blessing, having an older dog the same time as a pup,  I am going through the puppy/bronze course with Branston and certainly any 'at home' training needs to be done on a 1 to 1 basis, as  Branston is far more interested in what Minstrel is doing. (though he will do a sit/stay for a minute with Minstrel around  :angel:.

I did find though that Minstrel certainly helps Branston's confidence in various ways, when they are together, like getting on the bus or going into vet's room, Branston on his own was nervous, but with big bruv. around to show him the way, to start with definitely helped.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:37:48 PM »
I have a 4.5 year old cocker and a 7 month old - they both have different training needs, attention span and exercise duration/requirements so invariably they are taken out separately.  Once the pup us a little older I will take them at the same time but not until the basics are consistent   ;)

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 02:52:31 PM »
I have a young puppy (14 weeks) and 2 adult dogs.  The puppy is always trained separately.  They are allowed to run together sometimes, but when they do I never recall the puppy or do any other training with him.  That's play/down time.  If I were to try and recall him, or expect him to focus on me at such a young age, I would be setting him up to fail.  He would have a difficult time trying to work out what to concentrate on and would likely ignore some recalls - so teaching him to selectively respond.  Have always trained/ worked with my dogs individually until I can be sure they know what I am asking and are reliable.  Plus they enjoy the 121 time, as do I.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 06:53:32 PM »
What I'm interested in is how do you cope with the basic training that you can do indoors? Obviously it's treat based, and I have trouble with the older one wanting to muscle in on the action! I live in a bungalow with not enough space to keep them separate. If I shut her in the hall while I'm in the lounge attempting some training she just barks all the time! Which is quite distracting.....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 09:58:49 PM »
I don't really do much training indoors aside from asking for a sit when I feed them or give a treat. They all have to wait their turn. If i do any bits then I shut the ones not being 'trained' either in the kitchen if am in the garden, or behind the stair gate if am indoors. And then I make sure each one has a 'turn'.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 10:37:10 AM »
Plus one to Emilyoliver's post, its impossible to train a young pup with that kind of distraction.   
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline chelle83

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 01:46:04 PM »
I still have this problem as I also live in a bungalow. If I take Orla out of sight Ozzy knows immediately that I am training and barks at the door which then takes Orlas focus from the training.
At class she is getting better but is still very distracted by what Ozzy is up to and when we go out for a walk, even if its just me and orla she is so distracted and doesn't take a bit of notice of me when I am trying to practice recall etc. Its all very frustrating. Last night when we were out I just wanted to cry because I know when we are in class she listens fine.
Owning a cocker is definately a roller coaster of emotions, I just keep trying to remind myself that everyone on here says everything will suddenly click and she will turn into a lovely obedient dog instead of the tearaway puppy she currently is at 5 months. Its just very hard as one look at those eyes and I turn to mush however angry it makes me.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 02:51:39 PM »
Perhaps take Orla out somewhere in the car for all her training?  Don't do any training within close proximity of Ozzy.  And start with teaching her a 'watch' command.  Show her a treat and hold it up to your face.  She should watch it.  While she's watching say 'watch' and then give her the treat (but only if her focus is on you).  Keep any training sessions super short, and give loads praise when she gets anything right.  If you only get one exercise right, stop there, give loads of praise and go home.  Make the training fun.  Recall can be practiced by someone else holding the dog, you walking (or running better) away and then calling pup excitedly to you.  When she's really desperate to get to you, get the person to release her.  You can start with short distances and build them up.  But make sure there are very few distractions to start with.  But one thing I learned years ago (and one of the most valuable lessons ever) is never ever call your dog unless you are sure she will come back.  So don't get into the habit of trying to recall your pup when she is on her way off to investigate something else.  If you do recall her and she starts coming back then veers off elsewhere, don't persist in calling her.  Rather go and collect her and put her back on lead.