Author Topic: Tug of war  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Neil

Tug of war
« on: September 06, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »
Bobby's favourite game is tug of war. He will bring me a toy to hold onto while he pulls.

He really is the most sociable dog, there's not normally the slightest hint of any aggression from him, the vets can do whatever they need to in complete safety. But when he plays tug of war he takes it seriously. He will shake the toy violently (he's very strong) and will growl. I don't think there's any threat in it, it never leads onto anything more, it's just part of the game.

I guess this is normal....

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Tug of war
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
It's Archies favourite too! He absolutely loves it and I guess his growls while doing it it could sound quite frightening to someone who didn't know him. He does have a dark side (he's a resource guarder) but his play growls and body language are totally different to when he is really warning me off! So yes, I would say all part of the game.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:05:40 PM »
Ben growls when we play tug with a toy, it sounds hideous but I know it's only playing, like Archie Bean says there is a clear difference in sound and body language.

Harry on the other hand is also a resource guarder, and he starts off play growling, but sometimes gets too wound up and it tips over into being guardy and a bit temperamental, but again you can see the difference and I always can see the signs and stop the game before it gets to that point. 

You soon learn what the different growls and noises mean, and you know your dog better than anyone so watch his body language and you should be able to see if it's part of the game, cockers are so vocal though they do like the sound of their own voice  :005:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 11:31:56 PM »
the staffies loved a game of tug  of war complete with nasty growls. all good fun, except they were quick and would let go and grab further up the rope until their teeth would meet your knuckle if you were still brave enough to hang on  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:27 AM »
All part of the game! Even more fun if they can get you down on the floor to growl back at them!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 02:31:22 PM »
All part of the game! Even more fun if they can get you down on the floor to growl back at them!

That made me laugh out loud!!
Before we had dogs my OH was very bottled up and straight laced  ph34r  If you had told me I would ever see him down on the floor growling and chasing the dogs I would have said no chance, but it surprised me so much when Ben came and he used to get on the floor to rough and tumble, I've even seen him chasing the dogs across a beach with other people watching, who would have thought it  :005: :005:

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »
Our dog trainer says you're not making the game fun enough if your dog isn't growling  :shades:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 12:41:32 PM »
You soon learn what the different growls and noises mean, and you know your dog better than anyone so watch his body language and you should be able to see if it's part of the game, cockers are so vocal though they do like the sound of their own voice  :005:

Yep this is often quite enlightening when you do - Bosley (sprocker) scared the vet today when he was holding his head when Bosley did one of his funny talks (continuation of a conversation he'd been having in the waiting room to his audience). Wilf is the same, he has a variety of vocalisations - he will headbut you when he has a toy in his mouth and make a growly sound which isn't aggressive
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 05:50:14 PM »
Murphy is a growly tug of war player too.

In fact, he loves a fight and I could understand if people think he is being aggressive because his teeth are always on display. He has fantastic bite control though and will stop straight away if told.

Offline jessika

• Ozzie
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »
Ozzie does this, then again he just growls and barks at everything  ph34r he even does it while hes having a pee  :005: and like Bens mum said, they really do love the sound of their own voices

Follow Ozzie at  instagram.com/ozzie_cockerdile