Author Topic: Preparation for a separation?  (Read 3316 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Preparation for a separation?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 06:55:31 AM »

Sometimes there isn't a choice and for me there is some key information missing from the post to allow suggestion or alternatives - I'm not clear why Mandy has to go away for a month? The post says that Teddy is most attached to Mandy but there are others in the house - can they take holidays?

I know when I was in Oz a lot of dogs lived outside and few I knew inside so it may be a problem with ideas of how a dog should live - only guessing here but I do remember having this discussion when I was there, well in Melbourne anyhow (mind you a lot of dogs we come across re the rescue in South Wales live outside too - well a lot more than I've ever come across in the UK). Also I guess it depends on what the make up of the rest of the house is as to how the dog fits within that household.

Hope whatever the situation is that something is sorted while the OP is away

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 04:21:16 AM »
I hope people who have read this understand why I am now removing it from the thread.

Offline Panda

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 06:33:06 AM »
Mandy, please don't be upset and have a wonderful holiday, it certainly sounds like you deserve it. If you had explained a bit more in the first place and I don't mean about your illness or reasons for going away I mean about the environment that you were leaving Teddy in and about your daughters being home then the comments posted may have been slightly different. 

I wish you well and hope you have a lovely holiday - sounds to me like Teddy will be fine.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 08:08:07 AM »
Mandy, please don't be upset and have a wonderful holiday, it certainly sounds like you deserve it. If you had explained a bit more in the first place and I don't mean about your illness or reasons for going away I mean about the environment that you were leaving Teddy in and about your daughters being home then the comments posted may have been slightly different. 

I wish you well and hope you have a lovely holiday - sounds to me like Teddy will be fine.

Mandy, please don't be up-set, I agree with all the above & apologize for my reply.    We in England are not "outdoor" people as you are in Australia,   I'm sure this is why you got some of the reactions that you did.             Have a lovely time.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 08:15:06 AM »
Oh Mandy please don't be upset.
Your love for little Ted shines through and
you clearly want to do the best for him.
I wonder if you have any retired, dog loving neighbours
that might like to spend some time with your lad, just keeping him
company or a little walk. Maybe you could negotiate an
exchange of services...
I wish you all the best for your holidays :D   
steffxxx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 08:48:39 AM »
I too will apologise but will say in my defence that had I known a bit more about the circumstances, would have replied differently.

Hope you have a lovely holiday and feel better for it, and that you find a suitable solution for Teddy.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »
Hi what a lovely thing your daughters have done for you  :D

Some thoughts about separation: I'm not sure what your set up with Ted is at home, if he doesn't already, I would suggest keeping him in a separate area overnight and start popping him in the outdoor space during the day, even when you are at home.  I guess it's a bit like crate training but essentially you need to create a safe place for him hen train him that it's ok to be there....

With taking on the new pup I made the decision they both need to live in the kitchen - previously Pearl followed me everywhere and slept in my bedroom at night.  She's not been upstairs for 5 months now and although wasn't happy to start with does seem to be very much more content now.

Have a great holiday - it does sound as though you are doing everything you can for Ted x

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »
Hi Mandy, as Pearly has said – getting him more used to his ‘new’ situation (with less dependence on you) now should help.  To (hopefully) help allay your fears, my 2 and a half year old cocker has recently adapted to being an outside kennelled dog during the day when I am at work.  This after having been inside up till now.  He is outside with my young dog, and while there was some initial unsettled barking, he is now quiet (according to my neighbours and dog walker ), and is more than happy to go in there in the morning.  I have a dog walker visit at lunch time to let them out and check on them – you may want to do the same.  It gives me peace of mind too.  I’d put Ted outside (perhaps on the vreandah) with some toys and a filled kong/hoof – something to keep him occupied - and slowly extend the time you do this.  Also maybe start feeding him out there so he associates the experience with positive things.  Suppose it’d be quite similar to teaching a puppy that when you go out, he goes into a crate with a kong.  They are very adaptable – and while it may be a bit upsetting to hear him cry (if he does at first), I’m sure he will settle fine with a bit of time and patience.  Hope it goes well, and you have a good restful holiday.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 02:56:27 PM »
^^^ as Michelle says but only go out to him or let him back in when he's quiet, otherwise he'll quickly realise barking gets your attention and there's no such thing as bad attention in a dogs view  ;)

Online MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »
that's the thing with us poms, outside means cold, wet and miserable and some of us are to soft to even think about keeping our pets outside. We also have  tendencies to assume the worst of everything. ph34r

After reading your description of your "palatial" shed  I would not mind staying there my self for a couple of weeks or more. Get yourself packed and ready to go. Teddy will be okay, he knows you will be spending all your holiday thinking about him (as we do), and he will be the same old Ted when you return. Just brace yourself for the " mums home" moment when you get back.

ps, where are you going ( us brits are also quite nosy)

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Sorry you were upset by some of the responses here, but I guess it shows just what a forum of passionate dog lovers we are on here (as you are too), and none of us would stand by and keep quiet if we thought a dog was not being cared for properly.  I'm guessing you would be just as passionate if you thought someone was doing something not right to any animal, it's just that in this case we didn't know all the facts, which clearly are very personal to you and your family, but judgments were made on what you said in your post, I didn't post but being honest my initial reaction would have been the same  ph34r

However now you have shared a little more, its clear, that things are different there, as Min said a lot of us have no experience of outside dogs, and that what you are doing now is preparing to ensure that while you are away your gorgeous Teddy copes as well as possible with the change. Hope you have a fantastic holiday, sounds like you deserve it, and try not to think to badly of us for being a bit quick off the mark and getting it so wrong, it's just that we care  :luv:

Offline moneypenny

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 10:03:50 PM »
Mandy already I knows that I support her. What I wanted to say is that I have found the differences between us Aussies and you Brits on this post very interesting. In my suburb there is a dog in probably every second house, and just about all of them are left alone in their back yards for at least some time during the week. In the early morning and the evening there is an army of owners out walking their dogs to settle them down before they leave for work. Maybe it's because we have big backyards - but I've been to the UK and so do lots of you . Maybe it's the weather- but it's pretty cold over here at the moment.   

But be assured we adore our cockers just as much as you do and spend every minute we can playing with them!

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 03:19:03 AM »
Hi everyone, sorry I have left this so long to reply, some not very happy rubbish happening at home but hopefully after today all will be on the mend.
Thank you all for making some great suggestions as to how to get Teddy ready for the break, we have been implementing some already due to necessity and he is actually enjoying playing in the sunshine without company more and more, so far only for an hour or two but it's a start.
For the nosy Englishwoman  :005: we are going to Mexico! I am so very excited just waiting to see if we can still go ahead but fingers crossed.
My daughter took Teddy on the million paws walk earlier this year and they won a photography session we have just got the photos back so I will try to post them.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »
Mandy

Why have I only just read this firstly there is one English women who would come over and look after darling Teddy only her Ollie Dog would not let Mummy do it plus I would comeback to a very fat cocker as hubby gives him too much food :005: not that Ollie complains.

I am horrified you have been upset, but sadly as you know some have a blunter way than others, but I do hope you know that so many of us who like me adore Teddy and the lovely photo's you post show a dog who is adored.  The photo shoot photo's spell this out :luv:

I am sending positive thoughts that all is OK at home and you are able to go away.
As always  :big armhug: to Teddy and special big  :bigarmhug: to you.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed