Author Topic: Showing and Markings  (Read 1985 times)

Offline mark_chitty

• Site Member
    • Mark's Blog
Showing and Markings
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:56:36 PM »
I've just got a quick question about showing and the side of the dog that is shown.

Snoop isn't going to be a problem but Honey has got one side that is lovely with really nice markings and another that has only one small orange spot.  The side with the one spot is the side that a dog would usually (I guess) be shown on (her left side) - while standing her head will be in my right hand and tail in my left.  I have seen some people show their dog on the other side while they are standing at the beginning and end of the class but wondered if this is common practice?  I've been told by a couple of family members that I should stand her so the judge sees the heavily marked side so that it she will look shorter (length way) than she is due to the colours breaking up her body.

I may be completely wrong here and totally not understanding how dogs are shown, but when the dogs are walked up and down/triangle the judge will only see the left side unless they move to a position when I would have to change hands so I'm not between them and the dog.  Also, when standing the dog on the table I've never noticed anyone stand their dog to show the right side towards the judge, only the left.

I guess I'm just trying to find out if there is a preferred way to show the dog with markings like Honey?  Personally, and again I may be wrong, I thought that the judge looked at the dog, not the markings, so in my probably misguided opinion, it shouldn't matter....

Any thoughts and advice would really be appreciated to help me out of this rather confused state!!!

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Re: Showing and Markings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 04:17:06 PM »
Can't really help on the why's and wherefore's with regards to markings, as I have only done one show and have solid cockers, but I have definitely seen dogs stacked on the table facing the opposite way, ie. head in your left hand, tail in your right.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 04:19:46 PM »
Judges shouldn't in theory take any notice of markings when they're judging but some do seem to find it easier to judge particolour dogs without any heavy markings on the body ;) Heavy markings on the shoulders etc can create an optical illusion of a short neck and straight shoulders but experienced judges should be able to see past this and use their hands to assess angulation etc. Our first champion was very heavily marked on one side and she won a lot of puppy classes that side but later she was shown the side with only one small patch and won all her CCs that side as we were told that she looked "flashier" that side. So what I'm saying is that markings shouldn't matter but there are undoubtedly some judges who don't like heavier marked dogs and some who pay no attention to markings - that's just human nature :D

It's up to you which side you show your dog whether standing or on the table. Most judges do not mind if you choose to stand your dog the unconventional way on the table as long as they've got room to handle the dog - sometimes it's not possible in cramped rings where the table is close to a wall etc.
Jane

Offline mark_chitty

• Site Member
    • Mark's Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 04:46:45 PM »
Many thanks for that reply Jane, I'll have to tell that story to a certain family member that is apparently never wrong ;) :005:

Anyway, I think I'll see how it goes but will mor ethan likely just stick to the way Honey and either me or my partner feel most comfortable with :)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 04:57:19 PM »
I show Gracie with her head in my right hand as she has a half mask on the other side  ;)

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 10:48:56 PM »
i'll be showing Daisey with her head in my left hand as her right side is better looking.
I know it shouldn't matter which side you show but if one is more apealing to eye and as equally as good as another less pretty, you know who'll they'll choose don't you.

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 08:37:23 PM »
Just wait until you get another one and you need to start showing him/her on the opposite side - I find it very difficult to change when I have a new puppy out that I start showing on the opposite side to what I am used to - silly isn't it?! Is almost like writing left handed when you are right handed!
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline mark_chitty

• Site Member
    • Mark's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 12:32:04 PM »
Finally managed to get some photos online of Snoop and Honey standing.  Sorry they're not standing as well as they should, not sure why they were such a pain on this occaision!!  Honey has started to stand a lot better since these were taken (thankfully!!)  They were taken about six weeks ago and Honey has grown since then.

Snoop @ 8 months, Honey @ 4 1/2 months:

This is the side I prefer to stand them on regardless of markings, I find that both the dogs and me can slip into it easier.  I prefer them both on this side:

Other side, not so keen on Snoop, but can't decide with Honey:

We won't be showing Snoop now anyway, we took him to a show in November and although he was one of the youngest cockers there, he was also the biggest.  We measured him to the withers at 18 inches, so much bigger than the breed standard :(  Shame really because he loves going to shows and his temprament is wonderful!

Honey is due at her first show this month, although still not sure if she'll be going, depends if she's ready or not.  She does stand very well and the way she walks is really nice when she doesn't try and play around!

Any comments are welcome!!

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
Prefer Honey the first way round as she looks like she has more depth, not sure about Snoop hard to tell as he is so dark but he does look like a big lad! I was always told to stand them in front of a mirror, so that you can see from the judges angle.

Good luck.

Michelle

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 12:55:27 PM »
Honey looks fine either side - with her markings, you don't have to worry which way round you show her. Snoop does look a big chap but that's partly because he has a lot of daylight underneath him - if he had more feathering underneath, he wouldn't look so leggy but sometimes coats can take a long time to come. You could still have fun with Snoop at companion shows in the summer even if he's a bit on the big side for the more serious shows ;)
Jane

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 02:46:09 PM »
I have got the same problem with my Jade, she is sooooo.... beautiful but just too big, she is a bit leggy and measures 16", so for now I will keep taking her to ringcraft and see what happens when her featherings come down.  It is such a shame as she enjoys it so much whereas Amber is not that keen and Jade definitely has the better temperament for it, not quite so giddy and overly affectionate (Amber kept snogging the judge  :luv: ).

Snoopy is a very handsome chap though and Honey looks great either side.   :luv:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 02:51:37 PM »
I dont think it matter's really which ever side you stand them beacause when you come to move the dog the judge is still going to see the marking

Good luck with Honey,which show have you entered we may be there  :blink:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 03:03:42 PM »
I dont think it matter's really which ever side you stand them beacause when you come to move the dog the judge is still going to see the marking

That's the theory but we all know those judges who hardly seem to look at the dogs moving but spend hours staring at the dogs standing at the end (hoping for divine inspiration maybe :lol:)
Jane

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 07:55:03 PM »
I personally don't like heavy markings, the fewer patches the better for me  :blink:
Cayley.

Offline mark_chitty

• Site Member
    • Mark's Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 12:24:15 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Sarah - going to a local show in north Wales - Llandudno & District Canine Society I believe!  As I said, still not sure if we will be attending, we have some work to do with Honey before we decide!