Author Topic: Thinking of going back to kibble....  (Read 3614 times)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Thinking of going back to kibble....
« on: April 21, 2018, 06:02:48 PM »
Please don't shout at me, all you raw feeders out there, but after Ozzy being on a commercially produced raw food for about 18 months, and having had more illnesses in that time, than the whole of his previous 4 1/2 years, and having just suffered a whole week of vomiting and squits from both Ozzy and Jess (who are on the same food, the second bout of stomach problems for both of them in 3 months) we are starting to worry that their food may occasionally contain bacteria that ought not to be there.  We have decided to put them both back on a good kibble for a while to see whether they are any better.  We have researched other raw foods and, quite frankly we cant afford their exorbitant prices for 2 dogs.  Ozzy needs to be on a grain free kibble, but I'm not sure of which is good quality these days and which isnt.  Can somebody please point me in the direction of that website which compares them all and gives them ratings - I cant remember what it's called.

Thanks in advance.

PS, I really dont want to be preparing raw from scratch, so kibble is the only way to go.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Thinking of going back to kibble....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »
I had Pearl on Barking Heads salmon and potato for a while.  She did really well on it. 

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »
Some dogs have sensitive stomachs. I gave my dog raw meat for a few weeks it was no good for him. Tried him on a grain free lamb and pork flavour kibble for working dogs again no good squits often. Now he's on CSJ dog food kibble fit n fast salmon and I'm now pleased to say that he's much improved. I give him some fish now and again but most other meats are no good for him especially lamb and pork.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 06:54:31 PM »
tbh I don't think anyone should shout at you for doing your best for your dogs.

I think some dogs find the raw foods unsuitable (as in too rich) for their tums.

For years I fed mine wet foods (naturediet, forthglade etc but for some reason - whether they changed recipes, but I found them either eating the food with resulting diawotsits or not eating (which is ok for a short period but not long term). They are now on Tribal TLC Turkey Grain Free and all doing well.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 07:07:03 PM »
Pearly I said that a bit tongue in cheek, but there are some people on here that can be a bit militant about raw  feeding and would dream of feeding anything else! Itmay be fine when i putthem back on after their tummies clear up but it just seems a bit suspect.

Sharon, thanks for the link.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
I can‘t get any decent raw mixes here (Germany), so have always mixed it myself. I read up on it first to make sure I got it well balanced , Humphrey gets a variety of meats and  I include a portion of  raw tripe, offal  and bone (usually a chicken wing) plus a portion of vegetable or fruit.. I usually buy enough for about a month, divide it into portions and freeze. Sounds a lot of work but once you‘re into a routine, its no problem. Obviously its important to get the quantities right but there‘s so much information available, its not too difficult, there a raw feeding facebook group which is very supportive if you decide to go it alone,
It might just be worth considering before you have to abandon raw food altogether......although I do agree with the other comments, it isn‘t for everyone/everydog, my previous dogs were fed on a mixture of dried and wet (Pedigree chum, horor of horrors) and they both lived until they were 14,! ;))
 :D

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 07:49:14 PM »
Dylan was brought up on Barking Heads puppy days, eh did really well. And as adult I,put him,on Evolution. Again no problems. He is fit, slim, healthy and has a great skin and coat. Unfortunately evolution has just ceased to be  :'( , so I have gone back to Barkingheads. I did loads of research till my head was spinning, and am happy with BH. I did try him on Raw once, but he was sick as a dog  ;), so back to the kibble.

My vet said don't give them a food with too many ingredients, eg loads of herbs or different meats and veg. Then if they have a bad reaction it's easier to work out what is not agreeing with them.

My,last spaniel had Bakers  :fear2: :fear2:, I didn't know any better, and he lived til 16, and it was dodgy spinal discs that saw him off, nothing organic.

I think as lon g as the ingredients are quality, kiBble is fine.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 08:57:07 AM »
No one is going to shout at you - not on here anyway  :lol2:

The best food for your dog is the one that suits him best.  ;)

I am a massive fan of raw feeding. Coco has been raw fed since she was 6 months old and does really well on it, but obviously it doesn't suit all dogs.   :-\

If Ozzy isn't doing well and you think it is the raw food, then it would be mad not to try an alternative diet for him. There are quite a few good quality kibbles nowadays although I am not at all up on which are best and you may have to try a few to see what suits.

Good luck - I hope you find something that suits him soon  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 09:07:02 AM »
When you have narrowed it down to a few likely brands, some of them do small sample packs so you can see if they suit.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 02:22:56 PM »
I've gone from Raw to home cook and now to kibble,

I have to admit, I didn't want her to come off Raw as she was enjoying it but I took advise from the RVC ( I know, vets usually don't like it ) and I decided it was for the best,

Bea loved being home Cooked for but , as I'm no nutritionalist I recided to go back to kibble with the occasional Home Cook.

Millies woolfhart ,Forthglade and Mc Adams are some of the Kibble Bea enjoys.

There are some very good quality kibble out there now, it's just finding the best fit, good luck.

Sharon.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »
Unfortunately it's only recently that both dogs seems to be getting more than their fair share of tummy upsets.  It may be nothing to do with the brand of raw food, Ozzy has been fine for the last 18 months on it, and Jess was also fine on their puppy complete until we changed her to the adult in January, her being a year old.  But I do seriously wonder whether the company (sorry, I don't want to name them on a public forum  ph34r) might have got over-large and that hygiene standards might have slipped a bit.  The first time the dogs had the tummy upset I called the company to let them know and they assured me that each batch is tested for bacteria before it goes out.  However, their vans are not refrigerated, just sprayed with insulating foam inside, and the food is sometimes starting to thaw by the time we get it.  If it's more than just a tiny bit soft on the surface, I put the few packs (never more than 2 or three) in the fridge rather than re-freezing it.  We were using 2 packs a day so they were never in the fridge for more than 24 hours before being eaten, so I don't think that's the problem.

If anyone would like to know the company name, then PM me and I'll tell you.

Anyone have any experience of Pero kibbles? It seems reasonably priced, but worried that it might not be decent food.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
Rosie is on Fishmongers Finest Salmon and potato, grain free, wet and dry combination.She also has various veg with the kibble as analternative to the wet food and natural yoghurt( I make my own) .We had so many issues when She was younger I was very tempted to dry raw feeding but We have a campervan, tiny fridge, so everytime We went away I would have had to change Her diet so We have stuck with the Salmon and She seems to be doing really well.