Author Topic: Skinners Life v. Field and Stream  (Read 3094 times)

Offline poptart

Skinners Life v. Field and Stream
« on: June 03, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »
Tiree has been on Skinners Field and Stream since weaning, first the puppy version then junior. The thing is, it's designed for working dogs and although he's a working cocker he doesn't work, he's just a household pet, so I wondered if it's making him hyper. I noticed Skinners also do "Life" dry dog food for all breeds. Do you think he'd be better on that?

Offline Gazrob

Re: Skinners Life v. Field and Stream
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:26:38 AM »
Hi I also have a working cocker who is just a pet. He was originally getting fed on some grain free working dog food that I think was too rich for him. He often had the runs and was hyper. I've now changed him onto csj fit n fast and also csj complete tripe. His poo is much better and he's not as hyper. This food has less protein than the working dog food. I would try switching to a non working dog food if he's just a pet as he probably doesn't need the extra energy the food will provide him with.

Offline poptart

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
Hi I also have a working cocker who is just a pet. He was originally getting fed on some grain free working dog food that I think was too rich for him. He often had the runs and was hyper. I've now changed him onto csj fit n fast and also csj complete tripe. His poo is much better and he's not as hyper. This food has less protein than the working dog food. I would try switching to a non working dog food if he's just a pet as he probably doesn't need the extra energy the food will provide him with.
Thanks, Gazrob, that was exactly what I was thinking. Tiree is pretty much fully grown now and my feeling is the working dog feed is too rich for him. I think I'll switch and see how it goes.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 03:22:01 PM »
Yeah I think it's worth a try. Some dogs just don't suit certain types of food. Have a look at the protein levels and go for the food with the lowest levels. But you know working cockers will always be hyper to some degree. My dog is now two years old and he's calmed down only very slightly.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 09:19:12 PM »
Gemma has Skinners Field and Trial Maintenance. She does well on it. ( has not worked in the field for 2 years). We did put her on the salmon one but it sent her hypo. 
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline poptart

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »
Yeah I think it's worth a try. Some dogs just don't suit certain types of food. Have a look at the protein levels and go for the food with the lowest levels. But you know working cockers will always be hyper to some degree. My dog is now two years old and he's calmed down only very slightly.
Oh, yes, he's full of beans that's true. I don't mind energy, that's to be expected in a young dog, but it's that head buzzing frantic can't-sit-down type of hyperactivity that concerns me. And the diarrhoea, of course.

Getting the Life feed delivered today so I'll start off on a mixture to break him in and we'll see how it goes. Thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted.

Offline poptart

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
Gemma has Skinners Field and Trial Maintenance. She does well on it. ( has not worked in the field for 2 years). We did put her on the salmon one but it sent her hypo.

Thanks Min, I guess the salmon might have some additive that disagrees with her. You never know till you try, I suppose.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 11:30:58 AM »
My Marley doesn't do well with pork, duck and lamb but he's much better with Tripe and fish based food such as salmon. It's just a case of trial and error. Please do keep us posted.

Offline poptart

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 03:13:38 PM »
Just updating this. Tiree has been on the half and half mix since I last posted and so far so good. He's definitely not as gassy as he was before and doesn't seem so hyper either, although he's still full of beans. So I'll gradually reduce the Field and Stream in the mix until he's on 100% Life. All in all I'm pleased with the result. Thanks all for your inputs.