Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 3504 times)

Offline bmthmark

Is this normal?
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
Every time I feed Jett (19 months old) I put his food in his bowl and within seconds he eats every bit.

I was watching him yesterday and he eats like he has never been fed  :o

I divide his food up so he has 3 meal times as it i'm always around to feed him.

He also has a few treats throughout the day (carrot/banana/cheese/biscuits etc). I measure his food out according to the information on the pack.

Do you think this is this normal behavior?

The reason why i'm asking is because some of my friends leave dog food in their bowls but the dog doesn't eat it all. It got me thinking that Jett would literally demolish it within seconds.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:42:45 PM »
Perfectly normal and healthy!! Dogs may leave their food for a number of reasons, they don‘t like it, its too much, they’re not  feeling well or they‘ve been simply encouraged to be faddy. Watch any animal in a zoo or whereever and most will wolf their food down (before anyone else gets it probably).
If Jett eats it so quickly he‘s having problems, e.g, he‘s being sick, you can get special bowls to encourage slower eating but it sounds to me like a normal spaniel.  ;)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »
Perfectly normal and healthy!! Dogs may leave their food for a number of reasons, they don‘t like it, its too much, they’re not  feeling well or they‘ve been simply encouraged to be faddy. Watch any animal in a zoo or whereever and most will wolf their food down (before anyone else gets it probably).
If Jett eats it so quickly he‘s having problems, e.g, he‘s being sick, you can get special bowls to encourage slower eating but it sounds to me like a normal spaniel.  ;)

Thank you, I will look at bowls that slow down eating. He sure does enjoy food, he even gets his bowl for me when he wants feeding   :lol2:

Its quite funny when I am carving a meat joint and I turn round to see Jett sat there with his bowl in his mouth  :005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 04:24:46 PM »
My Monty (2 yrs) has always been a greedy gobbler  :lol2:  His meals go within seconds, he'll eat anything and everything.  He uses a "gobble bowl" to slow him down and it does - by about 10 seconds....  I did get him a giant plastic Kong which screws open.  I fill it with part of his meal and it takes him a lot longer to eat it, maybe this will help?
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 05:34:25 PM »

Thank you, I will look at bowls that slow down eating. He sure does enjoy food, he even gets his bowl for me when he wants feeding   :lol2:

Its quite funny when I am carving a meat joint and I turn round to see Jett sat there with his bowl in his mouth  :005:

:luv: sounds as if you should have called him Oliver (aka Twist!!)  :lol2:

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 05:46:17 PM »
Alfie is a gobbler too. I used to feel so sorry for him as he started looked for his tea at 4pm & when he got it at 5.15 it was gone before I replaced his kibble container on the shelf. I got him 2 different types of maze bowls and that stretches the eating time to 2-3 mins. As soon as he's finished he's looking up wondering what's coming next. He's permanently on the look out for food on his walks & will go and pinch the cat's food from next door given half a chance! So in answer to your question it's very normal behaviour!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »
Branston gobbles his food, he would eat his in the the time it took me to put the other dogs food down, and if he were not fed in his crate would have eaten theirs too. He was eating it so quickly he would either regurgitate it or give himself bad hiccups. So now I hand feed him ( luckily it is dry food) I count to 2 between each piece and it certainly has helped. Just glad he is not Great Dane or it would take forever.  :lol2:

I did try one of the slow feeders but to be honest it didn't seem to make much difference, he simply flipped the bowl over to get at the food.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »
I actually took Poppy for a check up at the vets on Tuesday as she had been in kennels with Smudge for the weekend and came out eating like a lady rather than the vacuum she is normally  :dunno:. I was worried after her balloon eating episode that she had something stuck that I couldn’t see but he felt she had a bit of a virus ( she was fine in all other respects) and reassuringly her inner gannet is returning.  She can clear her bowl of food at least as quickly as Smudge and he is fast  :011:.  So definitely normal in this house.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 08:55:56 PM »
Thanks all, sounds like he is a normal cocker then :lol:

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 07:30:30 AM »

:luv: sounds as if you should have called him Oliver (aka Twist!!)  :lol2:

:lol2: yes Oliver would of been a very suitable name. He will always want more  :005:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »
This made me smile, Ben used to inhale his food while I was still putting it in his bowl, he never chewed it  :lol2:  I never managed to slow him down, but did split it up into small meals so he didn't do himself any harm.  Harry is super speedy if its something good like cereal, eggs or sunday lunch, but he does as least crunch biscuits properly  :luv:

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 03:59:22 PM »
My 2 boys are like chalk and cheese re-feeding. Hugo is normally calm, reserved, a bit wary of life as a whole but put a bowl of food in front of him and it's gone before you can straighten up! The best thing is that he always burps while his nose is in his bowl so it echoes  :005: And you definitely have to watch your fingers when treats are in the offing ph34r
Morgan is a Tigger of a dog, cocky, independent, bull-in-a-china-shop lad who actually has impeccable table manners  :luv: If he were human he'd drink his tea with his little finger curled and would insist on a starched linen napkin when fine dining  :005: he nibbles his meals, relishing every little bit and always takes his treats gently as though he were eternally grateful for the kind thought   :luv:

I just love the difference in these 2 boys
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 06:46:58 PM »
My 2 boys are like chalk and cheese re-feeding. Hugo is normally calm, reserved, a bit wary of life as a whole but put a bowl of food in front of him and it's gone before you can straighten up! The best thing is that he always burps while his nose is in his bowl so it echoes  :005: And you definitely have to watch your fingers when treats are in the offing ph34r
Morgan is a Tigger of a dog, cocky, independent, bull-in-a-china-shop lad who actually has impeccable table manners  :luv: If he were human he'd drink his tea with his little finger curled and would insist on a starched linen napkin when fine dining  :005: he nibbles his meals, relishing every little bit and always takes his treats gently as though he were eternally grateful for the kind thought   :luv:

I just love the difference in these 2 boys

:luv: love that description Elaine!!  :lol2:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 06:48:18 PM »
sounds like a normal cocker or lab (I have one of both) feed in this house - they don't eat they inhale  :005:

I have never had a dog that leaves food in their dish once it has been put down unless they are unwell