Author Topic: Changed to raw food too quickly  (Read 429 times)

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
Changed to raw food too quickly
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:55:17 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I need some help and advice on Oscar's food because I think I've made a mistake.

About 3 weeks ago Oscar's groomer said she thought Oscar may have some food intolerances because he has scaley patches on his skin, runny poos and smell from his stomach. She suggested a supplier of frozen raw food which she uses for her dogs.

So I checked out there website - seemed to know what they were talking about. Lots of frozen stuff mostly this "Pansen" (sorry, I'm not sure what the correct translation would be "tripe" or "rumen" - I think it's the half regurgetated stuff from a cows 1st stomach. Does that sound right?). They suggested dogs with runny poos should have green tripe with stomach bacteria for 4 days then go on to the "mixed tripe" with bone, muscle and all the stuff a dog needs apparently.

Now Oscar isn't pooing at all. Hardly. And when he does, he struggles and wiggles and paces and only a few slug-shaped and sized poos come out.

Also, they say for a cocker spaniel, he would need around 250g a day as a guideline. After two portions he's begging for more and one or two days he even had a kilo spread over the day and I'm worried I'm giving him too much. Where is it all going, he certainly isn't pooing it!

What should I do everyone? Keep him at it and see if he settles? He seems happy in himself - definately wolfs it all down and loves the food. He's still active and doesn't seem unfit?

Have I made a big mistake or is it just taking time for his stomach to settle?

Thanks for all your ideas and help everyone.

Chris & Oscar

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Changed to raw food too quickly
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »

It sounds like there is too much bone in the mix for Oscar.
Could you give one meal of the mixed tripe (containing the bone and everything else) and one of the simple green tripe?  That should help get him going again.... You can then play with the proportions a bit - giving a little bit more of the bone mix until you hit the level which is right for him.  :D

His poo output will dramatically decrease on a raw food diet, as there is far less wastage, but there shouldn't be a struggle.

250g is a fair starting point for raw food for a cocker - a full kilo would definately be too much!  Maybe try upping it to 300-350g a day, but keep a close eye on his weight.  If he is begging it could be he just really likes the food, or he is used to feeling fuller on his previous food - either way adding some blended (liquidised) veg could help - it adds bulk without the risk of weight gain (and will also help stop him becoming constipated).
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
Re: Changed to raw food too quickly
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:02:57 AM »
Thanks so much for the advice. I was beginning to think I was poisoning him. Will definately order more green tripe.