Author Topic: Barking howling and crying all night!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Lambie13

Barking howling and crying all night!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!
« on: December 23, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »
We have just re-homed a 2 year old cocker call George. He is fine when we are in the same room but as soon as he is on his own he barks crys and howls. This is a big problem at night as he will bark cry and howl all night. I go down to him tell him off he is then quiet for a short while and starts again. I have left the radio on, given him a bone covered his crate with a blanket and all make no difference. Is this just because he is in new surroundings or just wants attention?? I need sleep please help any ideas????

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Re: Barking howling and crying all night!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 11:54:33 AM »
Oh dear, poor you! Is he house-trained? With young puppies they usually cry because they need the toilet, or because they're lonely or both. With older dogs I'd imagine it's just a question of getting used to their surroundings, and would probably advise you to put in some ear-plugs and try to ignore it, so the dog learns that it won't get it wants on demand. Difficult one though. How many nights have you had him? It may just take a little while to settle in.

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
Poor you, but 2 is still only a baby in the Cocker world. He must be very scared and uncertain in his new world. Please don't tell him off !!! It will take time and understanding Good Luck but I'm sure when he settles all will be fine XX

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »

Do you know anything of his history?  Has he actually been crate-trained?
It sounds like he is scared and confused - a crate needs to be introduced gently and gradually if a dog isn't used to it, starting with just a few seconds. 
I would echo not telling him off - he is communicating his distress.

I would be tempted to be sleeping near him until he becomes used to his new life and then gradually get him used to being on his own...
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Lovely

Barking crying and howling all night!!! Help!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 01:18:09 PM »
I agree with karma, it's expecting alot of a newly re homed dog to settle immediately on his own especially if not used to crate. It would be really helpful to know what his sleeping arrangements were before you got him. I'd definitely have him with you until he's used to his new home.
Ali

Offline Lambie13

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »
Hi thanks for all your advice so far. He is house trained and has used a crate and a basket before so we have both for him. I realise it will take time for him to settle I just didn't know if it was something I needed to address or just give him time. Any other advice to help him settle in would be great. We just want him to be happy. But again I know this will just take time.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »
Poor you, lack of sleep is not the best thing and being tired is probably causing you to tell him off. 

Why don't you put his crate in your bedroom so he is near you at night time.  It might help to settle him then you can gradually move the crate out of the bedroom and back down stairs (assuming that's where you ultimately want him to sleep) as he gets used to his new surroundings.

He is still a baby and, add to that, everything is new to him so it may take some time for him to settle so gently does it and he will get there.  Good luck and have a pat on the back for rehoming him.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 05:40:20 PM »
I have to agree with Neon, put the crate in your bedroom for a few night then move it out to the landing for a further few nights, then try at the foot of the stairs then to what ever room you want the dog to sleep in, this worked well for me on a 3 year old cocker we re homed
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Lambie13

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
Thanks neon and jeffd. That sounds like a really good plan. We will try it tonight and see how we get on. Thanks for the idea.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 08:21:07 AM »
Newly rehomed rescue dogs can sometimes suffer from separation anxiety and overattachment problems - as Karma suggested its sometimes better for you to sleep nearby but ensure the dog sleeps in their own bed/crate. This can mean, in my case, sleeping on the sofa as no dogs go upstairs, or put a crate/bed in your bedroom and slowly move crate away from you as time goes by.

Also, a recently rehomed dog to is a new dog to you and sometimes owners do too much with their new dog - best thing is to treat the dog as if they've been there all along and try to quickly establish a routine. Don't try to overcompensate for a life you feel the dog may or may not have had before - dogs live in the here and now and don't sit worrying about their previous lives the way we might.

When I foster dogs they along with my own will often then try to keep my attention so I try to ignore this as they overdo it too.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
Not the same as you as we have had Darcy from a pup, but we moved house 4 months a go and he is one of them dogs that does not settle well. For the first few weeks we had a baby gate on our bedroom door so he could see us and that seemed to help, all was going well but this last month, he as started whining through the night, one of the things I have found that seems to help is I put a jumper on him and he just falls a sleep.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Lambie13

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »
Update!!!!! Three nights of sleep. We moved George's crate upto just inside our bedroom door and he has slept every night all night. So at least for Xmas we have got some sleep. Tonight we are going to start him just outside the door in his crate but with our bedroom door open so he still knows we are close. Fingers crossed for him to sleep well like this for the next three nights.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
That's wonderful news :D

Offline beanbag

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »
Oh im so pleased that you have had some sleep :)
A little different but we got Bonnie when she was 8 weeks old. She would not sleep downstairs where we wanted her too, she had to know that we were in the next room so she sleeps in our ensuite bathroom. She is 14 weeks old now. Its not ideal and she will be moved our eventually but for now its just fine. Her problem was that she was so small that being in the kitchen in a big room on her own upset her. She still has her moments even in the ensuite but its alot better now :)

Fingers crossed for more nights sleep for you  :D x

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »
Ahhh blissful sleep........... ;)  Glad it's working for you all.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: