Author Topic: You Have Me Worried  (Read 833 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
You Have Me Worried
« on: May 20, 2005, 12:26:07 AM »
Hi new to this forum live in Sydney Australia, I have a 5 month blue roan  Indianna(Indi) my first cocker spaniel. My previous dogs (now in heaven) were Airedale Terriers so this is all new to me. After reading about the wallpaper should I be worried :unsure:  So far she has chewed one pair of shoes,eaten a candle the size of a walnut, nibbled on my slippers still wearable and runs off with anything she can grab of the coffee table as fast as her legs will go. I work a few days a week and she is fine with that but does go a little crazy and not settle or sleep until fairly late last night about 10.00 before she got into her bed. I think while I'm not here she just sleeps so full of energy when I get home.She is very cute and very cheeky and has the devil behind those beautiful black eyes :D We are going well with obedience training but still having problems with just going for a walk she has not worked out how to just walk nicely next to me she pulls and breathes heavy sounds like a giant rotti trying to get at something. Is this standard for the breed do they all have their noses down and pull. She can heel quite nicely in class but I want to keep heeling as a seperate command for trailing any suggestions
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline PennyB

You Have Me Worried
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 12:43:16 AM »
Welcome to COL.

The most important thing I found with training my cockers was focusing them. If they've got their noses on the ground all the time then they're not listening to you. I use treats, vocal commands ('what's this') and games to keep them focused, and making them work harder for treats as time goes on and then only reserving the high value treats for new stuff. The more you focus them the greater the bond you develop.

At 5 months she's still learning and some days will be better than others, and other days you find yourself revisiting the scene of a crime you visited before (what I'm saying is that at this age and possibly for the next 18 months don't expect that even though you think you've solved one problem it doesn't occur somewhere else along the line)! Some things you have to do in stages/parts before you can fulfil the thing you actually want to do. The bit I love about cockers is that they keep you on your toes. With patience and persistence you'll get there in the end (but you need a very good sense of humour), even though it may be a bit frustrating at times.

Can't you use a different command for trailing as I assume it doesn't matter what you call a command as long as you're consistent and your dog associates a command with any word you want to use.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!