Author Topic: why do they greet you with toys?  (Read 4257 times)

Offline kate2

• ** Kiwi & Lilly ** 4yr old WCS girls
why do they greet you with toys?
« on: February 02, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
daft question and just a curiosity really, but whenever I come home one or both dogs usually grabs hold of a stuffed toy and runs round with it in their mouth, wagging their little bums like mad :P  :005:

they don't hand over or drop the toy, so not inviting play I don't think, or giving me a present :P they just pick something up and hold it and run round in silly circles wagging their whole rear end! and even when they are laying in their bed they take a toy in there and wag their tail in their bed holding onto the toy :huh:

I'm sure its not just spaniels, so why do they pick up a toy when someone comes in? 

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: why do they greet you with toys?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »
Both mine have and do that, I always thought it was because of their past working and retrieving origins.

Hope someone can give a more concrete answer :lol2:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
Mollie does this all the time.  She has to run and grab something in her mouth and then runs round and round you in circles.  Then, after a while, she stops and then runs round and round you the other way!!!  If she can't find a toy quick enough, you can literally see her panicking trying to find one!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:17:37 PM »
I always thought it was a gundog thing - they are bred to retrieve things  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline rubybella

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:26:21 PM »
Both my lab and spaniel do this. As soon as the door goes they rush to find a toy to take, my spaniel often snatches the toy of my lab if she can't find another one in time !!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »
Gemma has to have a toy in her mouth. if anybody comes to the house or if they are just passing but G thinks they might come she has to grab a toy. it is panic stations if she can not get to one ( then a slipper has to do). also a toy in her mouth is the last thing we see at bedtime and the first thing we see in the morning . she also knows each toy by name and will fetch which ever one we ask for (we use this as part of her training)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ruby n millies mum

• ruby and millies mum
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 06:58:07 PM »
mine do this to... except they greet visitor with gifts as well , i have to be quick if i'm in the middle of doing laundry, it gets a little embarrassing sometimes :013:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »
I read some where recently that dogs carry things because in the wild they would have carried food to a safe place to eat, also back to pups etc.  it's probably the biggest compliment a dog can give it's owner  ;) and is a natural instinct

Pearl not only doesn't carry anything and won't retrieve but knows that the fridge is her ready supply of food so why bother  :005:

Offline hnnhncklss

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 10:57:52 AM »
I thought it was only mine that does this, and he'll panic and grab a plastic bottle from the recycling if he can't find a toy!  :005:

I've always thought it was because of their working origins too, but apparently it's not just gundogs that do it. I've just had a quick google and this blog post has an interesting answer  :blink:

http://patch.com/virginia/greateralexandria/for-doggy-greetings-the-slobbery-toy-is-mans-best-compliment

Offline fionad

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 02:17:20 PM »
I once had a whippet who couldn't find a toy so he greeted me with a fresh egg. He didn't drop or crush it either!

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »
Murphy has to have a toy in his mouth.

If I bend down to stroke him, he will shy away and run off to get one of his toys.

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 09:25:24 PM »
My Amber is a little bit strange , when I start hoovering she takes all her teddies out of her bed and puts them in another room !? :005:

Offline kate2

• ** Kiwi & Lilly ** 4yr old WCS girls
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:41:12 AM »
haha perhaps she thinks you'll suck them up!! :o  :005:

I was greeted with a roll of masking tape, and the innards out of a fleece lined bed yesterday  :005: :luv:

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 06:46:31 PM »
My Amber is a little bit strange , when I start hoovering she takes all her teddies out of her bed and puts them in another room !? :005:

Yes, Mollie does this too... she pulls her bed into another room!

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »
Yes, Pebbles does this too.  I thought it was a just a spaniel thing as my Lab. never did it.  Mind you it's useful is she's barking at a newcomer at the door as soon quiets her down once the toy is in her mouth.  It is so sweet though isn't it?
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara