Author Topic: 10 month old male dog just wee'd on our bed  (Read 1791 times)

Offline jha508

10 month old male dog just wee'd on our bed
« on: April 05, 2016, 12:55:27 AM »
Jesse P our youngest (of 3 boys) earlier this evening wee'd on our bed. It was turned down- airing- and he jumped up and pee'd right in the middle of the sheet. We did not see him do it, but it was him. He has never done anything like it before, he's been exemplary in the toilet department since he was tiny. The 2 older ones are similarly good. Having had a quick 'Google' it would seem to be possibly hormones/ marking behaviour. Anyone had anything similar?
I would be grateful for any advice.

Offline AlanT

Re: 10 month old male dog just wee'd on our bed
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
They tend to do this. But you never know where or what sets it off.

It's scent-marking. Is he entire?

Offline moneypenny

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:35:31 AM »
Penny also did this when she was about 2 years old, from memory. She was scratching around making a nest with the bedsheets, and then right in front of me she crouched down and did a wee in the bed. I was horrified. I never worked out why and she's never done it again. I didn't react , I just took her outside. Strange little things aren't they, our cockers!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 08:43:29 AM »
This is a topic that comes up every so often. It seems that many of our dogs will do this as a one off when they're puppies or adolescent, and never do it again! My first Cocker did it once when he was a puppy. It was straight after I'd given him a bath and when I finished towel drying him and was getting the hairdryer out he just jumped on the bed and did a huge pee. I never knew if he was just desperate for a pee or if there was another reason. He never did it again despite having access to the bed frequently. The other Cocker we had at the same time never did it. Both were entire males and neither ever marked in the house.

Fast forward many years to my current two. William (castrated at 15 months for medical reasons) has never done it. Louis (entire) had a little sprinkle one day when I was changing the duvet cover etc. Interestingly the item he sprinkled on was a brand new pillow, so perhaps there was an element of marking. I think he was about a year old at the time. He's now almost 7 and has never marked indoors since.

Hopefully it will remain a mystery one off with Jesse too :D

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:46:34 AM »
Ellie did a little pee on the bed when she
was about 2 also , again she was clean in the
house and it hasn't happened again.

Offline Millipede

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:01:28 AM »
Millie did this around a similar age as she was excitedly running around upstairs with her border terrier friend who had just arrived and I think got caught sort in her excitement.
However also had this with my brothers 10month old cocker Stanley, who was also fully housetrained but started scent marking around our house (Millie's bed, our bed, sofa) when he came to visit... :o He has since had the snip...

Offline jha508

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »
Thanks to all! It was the strangest thing. OH called me through to look and there it was- a veritable yellow flood and the aforementioned culprit little Jesse P on the bedroom sofa looking horrified. He was miserable all evening- as was I having to bin an expensive feather mattress topper! Hey ho... Hoping it was a one off.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 11:50:34 AM »
Same has happened to me, I took my down duvet to the launderette and they cleaned it....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 02:08:44 PM »
Archie did this a couple of times at a similar age. Came out of the blue and went just as quickly!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
Thanks to all! It was the strangest thing. OH called me through to look and there it was- a veritable yellow flood and the aforementioned culprit little Jesse P on the bedroom sofa looking horrified. He was miserable all evening- as was I having to bin an expensive feather mattress topper! Hey ho... Hoping it was a one off.

If it was a flood I doubt very much that it was scent marking. Perhaps he just got caught short, although that still doesn't really explain why it's happened with so many of us and it's been on a bed :dunno: