Author Topic: New House--my Poor Doggy  (Read 527 times)

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
New House--my Poor Doggy
« on: August 20, 2005, 03:43:48 PM »
We just moved to a new townhouse 1 month ago and we thought Bailey was doing soooooo good when we left him alone b/c I didn't hear him making any noises when I came back.  Also, we never had any problems in our old place with neighbours on all sides of us.  Well to my surprise, my new neighbour just told me this morning that he barked incessantly for hours when we went out last night (which of course woke her up) and he has generally been barking on and off during the day until it turns into whimpering/crying/whining.  I am not happy to hear that at all.   I understand that moving to a new house is a big change for Bailey, but how long is it going to take him to be back to his old secure self in the house???  Anyone with the same experience as me?  I feel like I can't go out at night anymore b/c Bailey will wake up the neighbour. :(
Bailey and Mom

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
New House--my Poor Doggy
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 04:05:30 PM »
my new neighbour just told me this morning that he barked incessantly for hours when we went out last night (which of course woke her up) and he has generally been barking on and off during the day until it turns into whimpering/crying/whining. 

If you are sure that this is a "new" problem and not one that you just didn't know about before (he may have been barking but your old neighbours not say anything <_< ) then  there are several things it could be:

Can he hear different things to the old house? Traffic, other dogs barking, or maybe silence when it was noisy before?

Can he see out of a window or door to see passers-by or neighbours?

If its not any of these then it may be that the move has caused Bailey to become slightly anxious when apart from you. Try doing a search of previous threads for separation anxiety - you'll find loads of useful advice  :)

If he's being left during the day, then he will need company in the evenings/at night to be happy and healthy  - dogs are pack animals and unhappy in their own company for long periods.
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
New House--my Poor Doggy
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 05:03:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  The old neighbours DEFINITELY would have said something b/c on the one night out of a billion that he did bark (we were trying to baby gate him in a different room), the concierge in our appartment called and said a FEW of our neighbours were complaining about the barking.

Barking at things out the window and hearing the mailman and our neighbour, etc. is definitely a possibility.  This morning, I drew all the curtains and Bailey looked all confused and was wondering what happened to all that fun stuff he used to watch!  Do you think he will eventually get accustomed to the noises or should I start leaving the TV/radio on to block out the noises?
Bailey and Mom