Author Topic: ..probably a futile question..  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Digger

..probably a futile question..
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:24:13 AM »
...but does anyone have any successful methods on how to stop dog from taking stuff?Anything and everything left within reach or dropped on the floor is gone within seconds. To make things worse, if it is hard, it will be chewed up.
At 16 months old this behaviour is showing no sign of decreasing-in fact, I think she's getting worse. I've never known a dog like it!

Offline Barry H

Re: ..probably a futile question..
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »
Hi Digger - you need to teach the 'leave' and/or 'drop' command asap.   Not difficult and fun to do.  Easier said than done, but don't 'leave' things lying around!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:06:33 AM »
Agree with Barry (on both points  :005:)
Does she have access to „her“ toys? Humphrey always has to find something to greet me with when I come  in, if there are no toys in sight, he‘ll grab anything else he can find. Only other thing I can suggest is doing a swap with whatever she has by giving her something of hers and making it firmly clear  :lol2:  that a is yours and b is hers.  (Hasn‘t worked for me yet but theoretically it should  :lol2:)
If anyone comes into my lounge, they‘ll see shelves and windowsills adorned with socks, scarves gloves, jumpers etc that have been hurridly put out of reach, all paper bins now have lids on. It‘ll be interesting to learn if anyone has actually managed to cure this but after 3,5 years, I‘ve resigned myself to the fact that I have a very tidy cocker who just doesn‘t like living in an untidy house...(there‘s ALWAYS anpositive side!!  :lol2:)

Offline Digger

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
If only it were that simple. I taught the leave it command from day one as per instructions with treats for giving stuff up. She will leave a treat at the end of her nose until told to take it, and will usually give stuff up in exchange for a treat. However, I did read something the other day that said if you are giving your dog an instruction because you are having to then it shouldn't get treated for it which I can see is a point. Also, this one will take stuff for attention which I try not to get hooked into.
I personally don't leave anything lying around, chairs are always in, stair gate shut, doors to other rooms closed, etc etc, but enter a visitor...it's embarrassing-you have to go round after your visitor, putting their chair back in every time they get up, picking up their handbag, taking their coat off the back of the chair before the pockets get raided I . It is ridiculous. Yes, you can say leave it and (usually) get the thing back, but my question is...how do you stop them taking everything in the first place???....Surely there should be a time where you can resume some sort of normality in the house?! Children can't play on the floor in my house because any toys they get out are chewed up by the dog! My other dog grew out of this stupidity by about 7 months old' and quickly realised what was his and what was not.  I don't think you should have to be performing the leave it command every 20 seconds whenever you have a visitor. Yes I could lock her away but then a) she would think visitors are a bad thing and b) she would not be learning any alternative. This dog doesn't seem to have any ability to generalise. I am completely stumped.

Offline Digger

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
Oh God bizzylizzy! Now I'm really depressed!!!  :lol2: Yes-she has a million toys-lying around all over the place (all in perfect condition I might add >:D), She has a chew on her bones and antlers now and then, and loves balls, but other toys don't seem to hold any interest. Anything that doesn't belong to her though....

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
Dylan's fixation, apart from the odd sock or pair of knickers (don't ask!), is tea towels. We can't have them hanging on the cooker rail as he will have them off in a flash. He has a box full of toys that he will play with occasionally but nothing is as good as a tea towel. We've given him his own TT, cut up TTS for him to have, but they are not as good as the used ones from the kitchen. We,ve given up, just try to keep them out of reach, but he gets one at least twice a day. Fortunately he isn't destructive, just mouths them and takes them in his bed. I wish he'd learn the real,purpose of TTS and do the washing up!  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »
If you don’t want to shut her away from visitors or children playing on the floor, then you need to teach her a settle command either on a bed or mat or specific area in the room.  If commanded to go to her bed or settle or whatever she must then go and lie down away from the activity until you tell her otherwise.  If you have a look online/ on FB for Absolutedogs you will see some of the exercises.  What do you do with your dog on a daily basis in terms of training/ exercise?  It may be that she’s high drive and needs a job to do rather than just walking.  One of mine is high drive and has a tendency to pace in the house unless I tell him to settle.  It may be that yours needs stricter boundaries and to use her retrieving and hunting instincts more when out.  It may help her to relax once she’s back in the house.  Also if she’s high drive, she may actually need to be shut away from visitors, children, etc as these type of dogs often find that kind of environment very stimulating.  She needs to learn what is acceptable in terms of activity and behaviour.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 11:11:55 AM »
Dylan's fixation, apart from the odd sock or pair of knickers (don't ask!), is tea towels. We can't have them hanging on the cooker rail as he will have them off in a flash. He has a box full of toys that he will play with occasionally but nothing is as good as a tea towel. We've given him his own TT, cut up TTS for him to have, but they are not as good as the used ones from the kitchen. We,ve given up, just try to keep them out of reach, but he gets one at least twice a day. Fortunately he isn't destructive, just mouths them and takes them in his bed. I wish he'd learn the real,purpose of TTS and do the washing up!  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Humphrey LOVES  to do the washing up !! - soon as the dishwasher door is open, he appears from nowhere, nose in, tongue out......saves the pre-rinse programme!!  :lol2: :lol2:

Offline Digger

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
Ha! Finvarra- I just re-read your post, as the first time I read it I thought it said the teatowels were on the 'cocker' rail. Freudian slip of the mind...

Hi emilyoliver - yes I hear what you're saying about the differences between dog personalities-boy do I know it after casually assuming that after very successfully training and living harmoniously with a working springer, I thought I was well set up for this one...
In answer to your question- here is a quite typical day: during breakfast she is usually an irritating attention seeking pain.  After breakfast we go out for at least an hour. This includes open fields, playing with other dogs, hunting around in woodlands, blind ball finds  in the woods, some whistle recalls etc. It is certainly stimulating. Once we get back, she has her breakfast and usually chills out quite well until the afternoon walk which is similar but a bit shorter, or on days I work, my husband plays ball with her in the garden. Now the evenings are longer I sometimes also do some silly tricks with her indoors or some hide it games.  I have tried the 'go to your mat' thing but unless you remain engaged in the scenario she won't stay there. It's not that she won't settle when visitors are there-once the initial excitement is over she will settle down- it's just the taking objects thing that I can't seem to crack.
Btw, going to see AW on Monday :D-Thanks for that.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »
AW will be able to help I'm sure  :D

It may be that she has a bit too much freedom, in and out of the house.  My wired one isn't allowed to self-entertain while out.  He hunts under control or is on lead or at heel.  At home, they all have toys to carry around and hooves to chew, but i don't entertain them in the house or garden.  It probably sounds a bit miserable, but honestly - it's not.  They know when we're out it's games and hunting/ training.  At home it's time to relax.  They do pinch shoes, but i let them carry them and then ask for them to bring them to me.  I don't tell them to leave anything and i never chase them.  So they don't associate taking things with any extra attention. I wonder whether yours is a bit over-stimulated and is expecting a reaction/ attention every time she pinches something.

As for the mat training - they're smart little dogs and some training will require persistence.  They learn very quickly how to win  :005:.  They also need to think that whatever you are asking them to do was their idea  :lol2:.  Anyway, hope you manage to sort out the frustrating bits of training.  Mine are at their happiest when out working on the shoot, and the most calm and relaxed when they're back home after a day's beating.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 12:07:24 PM »
Cockers just love finding things! Socks, handkerchiefs, underwear are all fair game! My old girl Sophie was always on the look out for a tea towel because, just once, she pulled one down from the work top and the Great Cocker Spaniel in the Sky dropped a freshly baked scone to her! After that, no tea towel was safe again! Annie is a regular sock monster with pairs and odd ones cached in her bed.

Not sure that I have ever found an answer - sorry to disappoint

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »
Cockers just love finding things! Socks, handkerchiefs, underwear are all fair game! My old girl Sophie was always on the look out for a tea towel because, just once, she pulled one down from the work top and the Great Cocker Spaniel in the Sky dropped a freshly baked scone to her! After that, no tea towel was safe again! Annie is a regular sock monster with pairs and odd ones cached in her bed.

Not sure that I have ever found an answer - sorry to disappoint

:rofl1: :rofl1:
I've given up too. In the grand scheme of things it's harmless enough. And the bonus is that guest think what clean people we are as there are always tea towels lying around the place  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo