Author Topic: Chicken attack  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Digger

Chicken attack
« on: January 15, 2019, 02:04:12 PM »
Anyone got any ideas on dogs with chickens?
Had a bit of a disaster yesterday-Inca managed to slip in to the chicken garden and attacked one of them. I always suspected she would, as her prey drive is insane, but she has now proved it. I now have a badly injured chicken and the dog managed to break her own claw in the scuffle.
I strongly suspect that they are that way or not that way inclined and there's probably very little you can do but I'm all ears if anyone hass any ideas..
 >:D

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Chicken attack
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 05:38:54 PM »
Anyone got any ideas on dogs with chickens?
Had a bit of a disaster yesterday-Inca managed to slip in to the chicken garden and attacked one of them. I always suspected she would, as her prey drive is insane, but she has now proved it. I now have a badly injured chicken and the dog managed to break her own claw in the scuffle.
I strongly suspect that they are that way or not that way inclined and there's probably very little you can do but I'm all ears if anyone hass any ideas..
 >:D

There is a huge amount you can do to steady your dog around livestock, which chickens are just one variety.  A well respected spaniel owner, sadly no longer with us, once told me that you’re not a proper Gundog owner if your dogs never “had a chicken” oh and the chickens are just there to be had  :lol:

You need to get into a pen, under supervision and start some serious steadiness work.  Then progress to our feathered friends.  You will find as Inca gets older she will have better impulse control but does need to learn not to harm the chucks!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 06:34:34 PM »
I have a photo somewhere of my daughters free range chickens sitting on first floor scaffolding after a visit from Jinley!  I feel your pain xx

Offline Digger

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:01:57 PM »
Thanks pearly- nice to know there is hope. My other dog lived in perfect harmony with our cats, guinea pigs and chickens all roaming free. He did pick up a chick in his mouth once which was so funny- we just said 'what on earth do you think you're doing?!' and he looked like oh God I've let myself down and very carefully placed it back on the floor, right way up and off it toddled! When our cats had kittens they used to pop out and leave him in charge-it was very funny watching him worrying about them and trying not to stand on any as they scampered all over him. He was an usual dog I think- I reckon it is more normal that they are like Inca.
I will see if  there is a gun dog trainer locally who could maybe help me out with a pen.

I love that visual of all the chickens on the scaffold!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
Ah yes, chickens!

Annie couldn't care less about them - we have about 30 free rangers - but Buster is a different story. He doesn't bite them, which I suppose is something to be thankful for, instead he sets off after them like an Exocet and then tries to swat them with his paws. Fortunately they are behind a fence, but not easy when a dog just locks on to a target.

Good luck

Offline Digger

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
Yep I think they are all just different aren't they? I had thought I was getting somewhere as Inca had begun to walk through them (on lead) without lunging at them but yeah- once free...She would have killed the one the other day. Poor thing was shredded but I am pleased to say after some good dustings of antiseptic powder she is looking ok and clucking around with the others as normal. I think she'll be alright.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 05:07:22 PM »
Although large white ducks are a different kettle of fish altogether!  Anybody that doesnt believe in animal hierarchy should have visited my daughters house when she had some very large white ducks (one pinned Jinley down when she visited as a pup).  When these ducks walked up the fields, goats, horses and the chickens would respectfully part to allow them through!

Offline Digger

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:28:43 AM »
Ha! That's brilliant. We did have a couple of geese once and they were pretty hard core. I came out one morning and something had managed to get in with them. The male goose had some horrific injuries but his wife was still sitting on her eggs in pristine condition without so much as a feather ruffled and no sign of the attacker. What a guy.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 02:48:41 PM »
Although large white ducks are a different kettle of fish altogether!

You don't want to mess with a duck. Some years ago we looked after a wild duck who was recovering from a broken leg. Those bills hurt when they grab hold! She had me and the vet and was well able to make grown men cry.

For those who may be wondering - Mrs Dillie made a full recovery and flew off with her mate who had stayed with her all the time.

Offline Blondeduke

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 04:08:42 PM »
Well my old boy RIP up until 2 years age, a show cocker soft mouthed( will come to that in mo) went on a blood lust with rabbits until about 2. I had chickens and they were enclosed and free range ducks that disappeared to pond over the back so we're out way. He was just too stupid to get them? He caught a bantam and run round garden with it in his mouth( whilst I was on holiday) that was 10 years ago the bantam is still here. I never thought I could introduce them to live in perfect harmony but decided to as I do let them free range.I put him on lead told him NO in no uncertain terms, let him sniff etc up close a few times in lead. It took a few very supervised introductions until he learnt quite fast NOT to even dare think of eating one. But he was let off and in short bursts time gradually ignored them under close supervision. I did see the occasional glint in his eye to revert to blood lust but after his juvenile rabbit killing spree he got bored accepted the chickens and we never looked back. Soft mouthed yes the bantam was unharmed but he had it for while in his mouth. Perhaps make sure intro is after he has eaten his dinner too!

Offline Digger

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 06:23:02 PM »
Ah thank you for that blondeduke.
My old springer was super soft mouthed and I once found him with a chick in his mouth! I said oh my God digger what are you doing??! And he gently popped it down on the floor and it toddled off.
Unfortunately my 20 month old cocker is not soft mouthed at all. She wants to kill things. The chicken she caught was shredded terribly. Luckily with some antibacterial powder and care she miraculously survived but I think she would do it again in a heartbeat.
I had her on the lead around the chickens and cats, telling her no  for ages but she doesn't care. She is a brick of a dog. It is such a Shame as we have had to build a larger run so the chickens are permanently secure and a tree house for one of my cats who's had enough of being chased. The other one is toughing it out in the house but life is not as nice for her.
It's really disappointing as our other dog lived beautifully peacefully with all our other animals and I never trained him not to hurt them-he just didn't want to. This one is quite frankly a bit nasty. I don't suppose you can ever tell their nature as tiny pups but this one has some really unpleasant characteristics that I can't seem to train out.  :huh: