Author Topic: Toilet training issue  (Read 1568 times)

Offline KieranHawthorne

Toilet training issue
« on: January 15, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »
Hi,

We have a 6 month old cocker spaniel we have had her since she was 12 weeks old she is doing great but we are having an issue with her doing the toilet overnight.  Her last meal is at 4pm and we make sure we take her out before bed.  A lot of the time when we take her out before bed she only does a pee nothing else and even when she has done a poo we will still come down to 1 maybe more in the morning.  She sleeps in the kitchen and I feel sometimes she is waiting to get back there to then eliminate. Is this normal at this age? Are we doing anything wrong? Any advice would be great thanks  :D

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Toilet training issue
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 10:25:17 AM »
Many dogs are fully house trained by 6 months, but some aren't, so she may just be one of those. If she was mine I'd feed her evening meal later, at 6.00 or 7.00pm, which might increase her chances of being able to hold on all night while her evening meal is being digested. Feeding early can mean they're hungry and wakeful during the night, which probably increases the likelihood of needing to poo then.

Offline KieranHawthorne

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:37:45 PM »
No worries we will try that thanks Elaine 😊

Offline lucybennett

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »
I agree. Also a contributor may be the time of year. It’s not as much fun being out in the garden pottering about then pooping in wet cold January x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk