Author Topic: Proof that all it takes is perserverance  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
Proof that all it takes is perserverance
« on: May 07, 2007, 12:27:42 PM »
Just a thread to give hope to anyone who is having difficulty with recall that all it takes is a bit of perseverance (and lots of smelly treats).
Loki has never gotten recall, in the 7 months of training I have never been able to let him off lead ( we had to use a long line when we were out) but today it finally clicked and he was an  :angel: I have spent hours on training recall and was getting really frustrated but decided not to give up. I was so proud of him when he came back even though there were a few other dogs about.
So please anyone who is feeling really down about training dont give up yes it has taken 7 months but its all worth it just to be able to let him have a real good run around.

PS our local asda have started stocking their own brand puppy treats and they are at least 60% pure beef they stink like pepparami but well worth it (about 70p for a pack)

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: Proof that all it takes is perserverance
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 01:05:36 PM »
Well done to you and Loki, keep up the good work.  :D

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 01:42:40 PM »
well done - that's fab news.

It must be a relief to be able to let him off the lead knowing that he going to come back!!!
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:44:59 PM »
Well done

Bet you feel a lot better too knowing you can let him off lead  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 02:11:18 PM »
Well done! That's great news  :D

Alfie was the opposite, he had perfect recall until he got to about 6 and a half months old and then it all went to hell in a handbag until he was about a year again  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline kellymac

• Site Member
  • monty
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »
encouraging to read your post, monty is coming up to 6 months and recall does not seem to happen, guess keep perservering and smelly treats will help....

Well done tho :D

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 07:36:31 AM »
encouraging to read your post, monty is coming up to 6 months and recall does not seem to happen, guess keep perservering and smelly treats will help....

Well done tho :D

As long as it gives a bit of hope to at least one person this thread will have done its purpose  :D

Thank you everyone It is very encouraging and is definitely a sign to us that Loki is growing up and actually listening to mum and dad (or at least the treat bag  :shades: )

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 09:41:14 AM »
Way to go :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 09:32:41 PM »
Great news - I remember how frustrating and depressing it was when Molo couldn't go off-lead; I cried more than once......but it is worth it in the end; I remember taking him to the New Forest Meet and knowing I could let him off and see him playing with all the other dogs.......I had tears in my eyes again, but they were of delight  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 10:04:12 AM »
Aw that's fantastic news! I can't even imagine the horrors of not being able to let Chloe off the lead! In the couple of months she's been with us she's only twice run off and not come back! i've put these down to her just getting a little bit too excited and distracted by something else, the first time was with OH as well not long after she joined us!  :005:

Offline Moss

• Site Member
  • Mac and Lyra
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 10:07:09 AM »
Well done for your patience.  Looking forward to our first walk with Mac and will take him to a field which is lamb proofed so he can't get out.  Mind you, I know that encouraging first signs can disappear as dogs mature and become more confident of being able to catch up with you at some later time !
Claire

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 11:06:39 AM »
Jarvis is getting better. We keep him interested by constantly throwing him a dummy to retrieve. It's on a long cord so we can haul him back in, as he seldom lets go once he's found it!! The whistle training we've done really helped. I am worried that soon he'll have a confidence to ignore my instructions, but we'll see...
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Well things have gotten better today. We went to our safe spot (its an ancient quarry that is now all grassed over) and were doing really well then I saw 5 dogs running down the bank towards us, I thought oh no this is gonna be bad, but no he went and had a good play (I recognised on of the owners and I know her and her dogs really well) The on the second call he came running over to me. One of the dogs was a show cocker and he behaved so well I let him have a few mins play before we had to go.  :angel: