Author Topic: Have a look at this an interesting article about mr Milan  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Have a look at this an interesting article about mr Milan
« on: August 13, 2007, 08:31:37 PM »
Just read this thought some of you who watch Mr Milans TV programmes might be interested. ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/31/opinion/31derr.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5090&en=a90240e104db46c9&ex=1314676800

Let me know what you think.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: Have a look at this an interesting article about mr Milan
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:41:29 PM »
I think his methods are completely outdated so therefore don't watch his program; but that's an interesting article to say the least.

Thanks for sharing that.  :blink:

ETA: Hopefully the more people that see him through open eyes and decide to not follow his advice, the better.  ::)

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 08:42:46 PM »
I like him even less now.

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:43:45 PM »
Ditto....was just about to say the same! 

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 08:46:47 PM »
Id like to meet him actually and see exactly what he does with my own eyes  :-\

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »
He is totally wrong about me as a woman.  I always discipline my OH before I show him any affection ::) :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 08:49:31 PM »
Id like to meet him actually and see exactly what he does with my own eyes  :-\

I would love to have a chat with him and debate the validity of his ideas and the welfare of his clients.
Mark

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:55:12 PM »
i only watch it because I'm compelled to by those teeth :005: ,its like hypnosis with a pair of pearly whites :D
i do really watch it only to see how stupid some dog owners are  :o last week the dog owners hadn't walked there dog for 3 years because they said "there only small so didn't think they needed to go for a walk " :huh:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:26:10 PM »
Great article - thanks for the link, Mark  ;)

(I don't want to meet him; there would be no point, as it is obvious from his website and the little I have seen of his shows that his mind is closed, and he is not prepared to debate his beliefs  ::))
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »
Can't stand the man
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »

He is totally wrong about me as a woman.  I always discipline my OH before I show him any affection ::) :005:
:rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 09:45:09 PM »
I think it has to be down to personal opinion I don't believe everything I read no matter whose written it. 

I am sure that in some instances his training works well and in others it doesn't but when you consider the other options that the americans use and the way that alot of their dogs are treated we would be deemed far too sentimental and I have to say we do create an awful lot of our dogs problems because of our inability to provide structure and the way that we spoil them not just in dogs but in children.

It wasn't all that long ago that dog behaviourists were not required these days pretty much everyones dog is being sent off to a behaviourist for one reason or another - my own included. 

I think you have to use what works and just like all of us are different and respond differently to different methods of training I think dogs are the same.  It will be interesting to see what changes to training methods happen over the next ten years if you look at the classes ten years ago they were nothing like they are now, twenty and you'd have been doing it the barbara woodhouse way.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 08:13:42 AM »
I think it has to be down to personal opinion I don't believe everything I read no matter whose written it. 

I am sure that in some instances his training works well and in others it doesn't but when you consider the other options that the americans use and the way that alot of their dogs are treated we would be deemed far too sentimental and I have to say we do create an awful lot of our dogs problems because of our inability to provide structure and the way that we spoil them not just in dogs but in children.

It wasn't all that long ago that dog behaviourists were not required these days pretty much everyones dog is being sent off to a behaviourist for one reason or another - my own included. 

I think you have to use what works and just like all of us are different and respond differently to different methods of training I think dogs are the same.  It will be interesting to see what changes to training methods happen over the next ten years if you look at the classes ten years ago they were nothing like they are now, twenty and you'd have been doing it the barbara woodhouse way.

I believe what I read in this case Tasha as it is backed up by sound behavioural scientificic methods.
Peoples knowledge of canine behaviour and how they learn and react to situations has increased so much that there is IMHO no need for some of the methods Milan uses.
I have seen his programmes and he made my blood boil.
Why?
Because I could see what he was doing was stressing the dog for a starter.
Mark

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 09:16:54 AM »
I think you have to give him credit for his work with death row dogs at least he has done something. I don't agree with everything, but then again I don't necessarily embrace the whole idea of positive only training. Whatever you do in life there are rules and there are consequences both positive and negative from all your actions so why is it so important only to have positive reinforcements for dogs when they would have negative reinforcements in their natural environment?
I love to see well trained dogs, and yes I do have issues that I would like to change with my own dogs, but where ever I've seen these dogs most have had an element of traditional training used as part of their training. I think fads will come and go and as Tasha said there will be critics for whatever methods are used and whats in favour now will be old techniques in a short time.
I read behaviour books and watch these programmes, go to dog training and I take a bit from all of them to suit my own needs.
I would also like to meet him and judge him for myself.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
I think you have to give him credit for his work with death row dogs at least he has done something. I don't agree with everything, but then again I don't necessarily embrace the whole idea of positive only training. Whatever you do in life there are rules and there are consequences both positive and negative from all your actions so why is it so important only to have positive reinforcements for dogs when they would have negative reinforcements in their natural environment?
I love to see well trained dogs, and yes I do have issues that I would like to change with my own dogs, but where ever I've seen these dogs most have had an element of traditional training used as part of their training. I think fads will come and go and as Tasha said there will be critics for whatever methods are used and whats in favour now will be old techniques in a short time.
I read behaviour books and watch these programmes, go to dog training and I take a bit from all of them to suit my own needs.
I would also like to meet him and judge him for myself.

Positive training is certainly not a fad.
Animal trainers of all types have been using it for at least 50 years.
The thing is though it has not been used with dogs for that long and is still taking a while to filter through to some dog owners who are still wrapped up in more traditional ideas.
The key to positive training is that the dog wants to perform the desired behaviour he is not compelled to do it with the threat of punishment.
I have said on here a number of times that I would much rather have a dog choose to be by my side rather than have the dog there cos if it wasn't it would get clattered.
I must admit I have not seen his work with these death row dogs you say he has worked with, but if he uses methods like I have seen him use on pet dogs then I am surprised he is still alive himself.
I am not saying compulsive methods do not work because history has proved that they do work on some dogs, but I do not want to Dominate my dogs and be a threat to them I want them to have a relationship with me based on trust and understanding.
I work with very reactive dogs at the Dogs Trust and using flooding and punishment like Milan does would see me in hospital for sure and the dogs at the vets to be PTS.
Mark