Author Topic: HELP -the perfect housedog, nightmare outsider  (Read 1706 times)

Offline jill1111

• Site Member
HELP -the perfect housedog, nightmare outsider
« on: November 11, 2007, 09:29:07 PM »
Can anyone advise. Molly is now 18months. The most perfect pet inside the home anyone could wish for.
Outside the perfect dog on training lead. Will sit, stay, come to command but let her off the lead and everybit of training goes. We can only get her to recall when she is good and ready. This may take anything up and over one and half hours. Then she comes back litterally crawiling. We have tried titbits, whistle, walking in oposite direction all to no avail. She does come to find you but as soon as she spots you she is away again in opposite direction. Tried games but she just doesnt want to know. Soon as she is releashed she away running for at least two hours. I know a lot of advice is to keep her on lead but feel if restrict her exercise she may become a nightmare in the home. Any advice as now at wits end.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: HELP -the perfect housedog, nightmare outsider
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:51:44 PM »
Do not despair  :D

Molo was a nightmare for recall - and I used to cry with frustration  :'(

I worked out that every time he ran off, and ignored me, he was being rewarded for it purely because he had "his freedom" and so I decided to stop him being rewarded for this "bad" behaviour.    I only let him off-lead in an enclosed tennis court, when I had no intention of recalling him - I used to sit in the corner of the court and let him run riot, I would rolls balls and play with other toys with him and if he did come to me, I would reward him, but make no attempt to interfere with his freedom until he dropped  :005:

To teach him recall, I used a long-line technique which is described on this website:
http://www.petbehaviourcentre.com/us/us_articles/us_longline.htm

For 12 months, he was exercised either on a short lead, or a longline - it meant I had to spend more time ensuring that he was exercised sufficiently, but it worked and a year later, I had a dog that recalled when I called him - even when we were on a COL meet with loads of distractions  :D

It takes a huge amount of patience and dedication, and it is incredibly frustrating at times - but it is well worth it, so good luck  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:52:15 PM »
feel if restrict her exercise she may become a nightmare in the home.
Absolutely right  ;) although a long line will probably be your answer (that's not an extending lead btw)

At what age did you first let her off lead?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline jill1111

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:56:27 PM »
Molly was first let off at 10weeks, for the first few months didnt encounter any problems. Tit bits seemed to worked. This is my first cocker spaniel. Have kept dogs for last 30 years and never encountered any problems. She a star in the home. The most loveable dog ever but outside she has become >:D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:00:49 PM »
Molly was first let off at 10weeks, for the first few months didnt encounter any problems. Tit bits seemed to worked. This is my first cocker spaniel. Have kept dogs for last 30 years and never encountered any problems. She a star in the home. The most loveable dog ever but outside she has become >:D

what other breeds have you had?  Cockers can be a bit of a shock - I had previous experience of GSD's and Molo was a HUGE learning curve  :005:  I now have two; they do have a way of capturing your heart.

It is unlikely that a cocker will ever have what I describe as a "bungy cord" recall response like collies and some other breeds display; it is possible to train a reliable recall in even the most independent of cockers, but the response may still be reluctant at times  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club