Author Topic: Wetting, Growling & Beer fumes  (Read 1187 times)

Offline caroljay

• Site Member
Wetting, Growling & Beer fumes
« on: June 16, 2004, 02:47:48 PM »
:x Hi Guys ,

As you may remember I have a rescue chocolate cocker spaniel aged now about 16 months , we have had him since 7 months old . His name is Coco and he is lovely looking . :D

My problem is he still has not settled in and I'm rather worried :cry:  . Ever since Coco came to live with us we have let certain behaviour problems go , as we felt he had been through a big enough ordeal having us as his 5th home in 7 months . But as time goes on he doesn't seem to get any better . :roll:  :roll:

Coco has a bad habit of eating shoes infact to date 15 pairs have been chewed to bits . When I shouted at him on Friday as I was at the end of my tether , he peed himself . Normally he is really good on that front and lets you know when he wants out to pee . All I can think of is that he was really scared . I didn't tell him off for peeing as it seems like it was out of his control .

Another thing is that when my partner Scott comes back in he from having a drink / beer , Coco goes mad and barks , he doesn't go for him but just the barking and growling in its self is frightning . :o

The last problem is that Coco is really clever and knows what you need to leave and go to work in the morning  8) he nicks your pants , bras , keys etc . Then he growls at you if you go near , when you pretend your not interested in what he has , he sits right next to you with his head bent down ( and those big brown sad eyes looking at you ) and growls at you, but he still wants you to come after it . Really confusing  :?  :? .

We do take him obedience classes , where he is brilliant and actually behaves himself for a whole solid hour .Infact so much so people comment on what a little angel he is . :o  Then obviously something changes on the way home and he turns into '' THE DOG FROM HELL '' . :twisted:  :twisted:

We have had pet therapists  :o , police trainers  :oops: , Hendon police dog trainers  :wink: etc to see him but to no avail . I just wondered if anyone had experienced the same problem and had any words of wisdom to help me in this time of suffering ( ie running out of shoes !!! ) . :?  :?

We both love the little monster  :D  :D  :D but I really need to know how to handle it , being nice isn't working and I now can't shout at him now as it frightens him ( this was the first time either me or my partner have lost our cool  :oops: ) . I know we will never know what he really has had to endure in his young existance but any help on how to manage him or understand him would benifit me and my partner greatly .

Carol , Scott & Cocox :lol:  :lol:  :lol:                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 03:13:02 PM »
The only thing I can suggest is making sure he can't do these things - keys on a hook up high, shoes locked away, or in a room where he can't get to them.

Honestly, he just sounds like a pup/dog that's being mischevious rather than bad - ours would still eat shoes, shred papers if we let him, we just have to be anal about not giving him the opportunity.

They are hard work, and so like toddlers, they are always up to something.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 03:20:19 PM »
I was once told it can take upwards of twelve months for a rescue dog to settle into his/her new home so I'm not surprised to hear that Coco is still settling in :D .

Obedience classes are one thing - the behaviour you are experiencing is not about obedience imho but his baggage from before he was with you.

You seem to have tried a lot of solutions. While this may be commendable in one sense - I do wonder if you actually given any of the programmes time to work before admitting defeat and trying something else. A dog that has baggage needs time, patience and dedication/commitment to overcome the problems.

Please don't get me wrong - this is not intended as a criticism but an observation. You need a good behaviourist who can work with you, your partner and Coco to establish boundaries and techniques for enforcing discipline without the result you recently experienced which is almost certainly fear induced - and from his past. But also to look at how you all interact to help Coco feel more secure as it seems that he has lots of insecurities and it looks like he was perhaps left alone for long periods which is why he is trying to get your things together when he knows you have to leave him.

How long do you leave him for? Do you have a specific routine? Try and make leaving him nice - give him a special treat - something like a stuffed Kong to keep his mind occupied.

Perhaps when your partner comes back from the pub - Coco is associating the smell with a bad experience in his past. I'd get your partner to have something really nice to give Coco as soon as he walks through the door - but more importantly - to totally ignore the barking and Coco until he calms down. He shouldn't look at or acknowledge Coco in anyway. You'll be amazed how effective this technique can be. As soon as Coco stops barking - lots of gentle praise and a special tasty treat.

As for chewing - you just have to make sure all shoes are out of his way. It's no good thinking he should leave them - we know he should - but he sees them as fair game. If he can't get them, he can't chew them.

This is going to take time and patience. Please do persevere - you will get there if you do :D

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 06:24:35 PM »
I agree with all Pammy has said. My mum is always saying to me when one of mine has chewed something that I shouldn't have left it there in the 1st place. While they never chewed my shoes anything else is fair game really if I leave it for them—underwear, pens, plants. Mine are now 2 and 1 year old respectively.

It does sound like he is associating coming back from the pub with another experience he's had in the past (and we all know how less tolerant some people can be when they've been drinking). Cockers can be hard work and if in the past he was punished a little too harshly for doing something that really comes naturally to a youngster then he's one confused little dog.

However saying that it some of this also sounds normal for his age.

With a lot of patience you will get there and you'll wonder what all the fuss is all about. Ignoring him at times and rewarding good behaviour are often the way to go.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 08:17:35 PM »
Coco sounds quite a little character and knows how to get round you.  He is obviously very intelligent and hopefully will "grow out" of the naughty stage soon :lol:   I note that you have been given some good advice in earlier replies, which should be helpful to you.  

I'm wondering in view of his colour if he is from working cocker lines and therefore has a need to be more active.

What sort of diet is he on I wonder as this can affect behaviour?                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 12:57:36 PM »

I'm wondering in view of his colour if he is from working cocker lines and therefore has a need to be more active.

Which could be why he feels the need to be naughty as he probably needs a lot more stimulation as well as lots of exercise                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!