Author Topic: fearfull of other dogs  (Read 896 times)

Offline bunny

• Site Member
fearfull of other dogs
« on: June 28, 2004, 06:48:30 PM »
hi elmo is terrified of other dogs, most but not all, i think it is down to my friends dog, she got a puppy the same time (a ratter) and when they have met everytime since it growls runs at elmo and on occasion nips at him, he cowls and lets it do what it wants or runs and tries to hide, and when walking now, if we meet other dogs he sits on the pavement, and wont budge till they have passed.
he feels ok if they are on the lead at a safe distance, whilst i chat to the owner, but can anyone give me some tips, or share if they had similar problems.
thanks
bunny and elmo                    

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
fearfull of other dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 11:51:46 PM »
Hi Bunny,
My dog Penny is also a real whimp, she adores people, but she is frightened of other dogs and theres only a select few that she doesn't cower at.

I decided to take Penny to dog obedience classes as our local one at Aspull was very large and full of alsorts of types of dogs. She spent the first lesson cowering under my chair and several more in my arms! but I decided to carry on. she soon realised that they all weren't out to eat her and she settled down. She still is of a more nervous disposition, but some of this is due to breeding.

I also bought some vervain and valerian from my local health shop which is good for nervousness.                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
fearfull of other dogs
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 11:10:02 AM »
Yes, I agree, training classes would really help.
He can get to meet other dogs under a more controlled environment.

At Lotties class last week, the first one, there was a little cavalier who was very timid.
The trainer let her off lead, while all the others had to stay on, and let her run around and explore. She could go up to other dogs if she wanted, but because they were on a lead, she was able to get away when she liked.

If you know someone with a more laid back, calmer dog, try to visit them.
That way he will learn that not all dogs are scarey.