Author Topic: aggro pup  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
aggro pup
« on: July 04, 2004, 10:11:26 PM »
Hi this is Rustysmum usually rustysdad but I have had enough  :(
He is out of control with the biting, I tell him to stop it and comes back for more even more angry growling and snapping. I have been brought up with dogs all my life and I don't remember any of them being like this :cry: Even my girls who are 11 years old and 8 years old are fed up with him, they can't even clap him that he wants to bite :evil: We have even tried changing his food from Iams to Bakers but he eats very little.
Please Please help I am at the end of my tether :cry: from Elle                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
aggro pup
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 10:21:30 PM »
:( Oh Rustysmum!  Please don't despair, it really is normal and also should only be shortlived, it doesn't last forever, believe me.  There isn't one of us on here that hasn't had a pup that bites and growls, the growling will be playful even though it can sound nasty :roll:   Your pup is pushing the boundaries to see how far he can get, again also perfectly normal :)  

Please don't change the food to Bakers, it does have artificial bits and bobs in, so is not really ideal for a young pup, try to chose a natural food, like Burns, Nutro etc!

Have you contacted the breeder?  Maybe if the breeder lives close enough he/she would be willing to come to your house and see exactly how your pup is acting, I am sure he/she will tell you its normal, but at least then you have peace of mind in knowing this from someone who has seen your pup "in action" so to speak :wink:

How old is your pup again?

I am certain some of the more informed guys than me will be along soon, to offer their advise and comments :)                    

Offline PennyB

aggro pup
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 10:25:39 PM »
As has been said on all the other posts this is normal or should I say a lot of people on here have been through what you're going through now with their cockers. I sympathise as Ruby really was quite demonic and my legs were raw every time she attacked them. A crate helps so you can all get timeout in the evening and a little peace (a crate is not a punishment though).

Have you tried time outs with him as often he's only trying to grab your attention. Sometimes no didn't get through to Ruby at all until she was older so I had to rely on timeouts until we'd bonded enough for her to 'listen' to me properly (Wilf's going through the not listening to 'no' again at 1 now that he's in his teens). And have you tried the Gwen Bailey book yet.

Scroll through the behaviour posts on this board along with those on the puppy forum here and you'll find many who were going through this problem. Also try posting on dogpages (dogpages.org.uk) as they have behaviour forum—you may get a lot of similoar advice here and sympathy from people who've been through it themselves.

Also why not have a chat with your breeder

I felt after Ruby had been at our house for a couple of weeks it felt like she'd been biting me for a year.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
aggro pup
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 10:34:46 PM »
Thanks for replying so quickly, I have taken what you have said on board we maybe try him with James wellbeloved it is suppose to be a natural food with no additives, he is 11weeks and going for his second jab on Wednesday and then we can take him out and that might help the boredom many thanks Rusty and Elle xx :)                    

Offline PennyB

aggro pup
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 11:36:34 PM »
Have you been socializing him anyway. I used to carry mine everywhere (buses, trains, high street, etc.) before they could go down for a walk so mine got used to the big wide world in safety.

It had been a long time since I'd had pups in the house and so had forgotten what it was like (I'd been brought up with dogs) and Ruby was my 1st as an adult and I thought I was the worst owner ever. It was easier the 2nd time around as the new pup would bite Ruby like a demon (just to get my own back LOL).

JWB may not be the answer you're looking for as at the end of the day this is also normal behaviour.

I know we joke on this board about demon pups but I guess its because most of us went through it and its now a distant memory.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
aggro pup
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 11:41:34 PM »
I know we joke on this board about demon pups but I guess its because most of us went through it and its now a distant memory.

Thats true Penny, its like when you have child number 2, you forgot all the reasons why you said you wouldn't have another, and they soon come tumbling back :roll:   But saying that, its soo worth it, babies and pups that is, its hard work, but you reap what you sow and its not long before everything clicks into place and like someone else said, you may not even notice that day :wink:   Then you have years and years ahead of happiness, erm well ok most of the time :lol:  :lol:                    

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
aggro pup
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 07:38:02 AM »
Rusty, have you read the FAQ section? There is some excellent advise there on playbiting. Also have you got a copy of The perfect puppy by Gwen Baily? again there is some excellent advise there.
Good advise from penny to have a chat with your breeder.
As everyone else has said this is puppy behaviour, they are just like human babies they have to be told or shown how to act in a manner we find acceptable. Is everyone taking the same approach when the puppy bites or gets carried away? You need to sit down together after reading the tips on play biting and decide how you are all going to react/deal with it, so the puppy is getting the same message from all of you. If you think the puppy is getting carried away remove him from the room for a few minutes, when her starts nipping the children a loud OWW will get his attention, if he does it again tell the children to end the game..turn your back on him and walk way, he will soon learn that nipping ends the games
A calm approach from you all will help as quick jerky movement and high pitched sounds excite puppies. Has he got some hard toys to chew? encourage him to sit quietly with his toys occasionally. Remember to praise good behaviour.

A quick word about food from your other thread...decide which food you are going to use and stick with it. He will soon learn there is nothing else on offer. Put the food down in a quiet area and leave it for 10 mins, if he hasn't eaten it remove the dish till next meal. You could add a little cooked chicken or raw or cooked minced beef to encourage him to eat. Cut out all treats and extras untill he starts eating. In my experience no cocker will starve it's self.

Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
aggro pup
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 03:35:17 PM »
Hi Elle,

We have a 12 week old girl and she is just begining to get the hang of no, but we have also done a lot of ignoring especially my 8 year old daughter as Abby treated her as a plaything. If she starts getting to excited nipping and play growling (yes she even curls her lip but her tail is wagging)  we stop what we are doing and do something that doesn't include her, nobody speaks to her or touchs her until she has calmed down she hates this and it will only take a minute of no attention and then she either goes to her crate or settle down at our feet.  I think this is in the Gwen Bailey book but as I have read that many puppy books the past few weeks I am not sure :roll:  I also noticed that this is what our other dog Billy did when he had had enough of her.  It does get better but as the others have said it will take time and lots of patience.

Michelle