Author Topic: Walking on the lead nicely......  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Walking on the lead nicely......
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »
I have taught my dogs not to pull with very simple methods. When/if they pull, I just stop walking and pay no attention to the dogs. When they stop pulling I start walking again. Sometimes I change the direction I am walking to complitely if my dogs pull. This way they have learned that it's me who says which way we are going and at what speed  :lol: ..                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2004, 12:02:35 PM »
In the same vein she also (although generally stays within sight of us) won't come back to us when called, unless absolutely exhausted.

Have you tried hiding from her?  I am known to dive behind trees/bushes etc. because Neo is very much a scent hound and this seems to make him deaf (although I don't generally think he's ignoring me, because he always looks surprised when he looks up to find me calling).

Never give chase either, walk in the opposite direction to Molly (hard I know).  Have you also tried using a clicker?  Start at home around the house, call her, and click and reward her when she comes and sits in front of you.  Then do it in the garden and if you still don't trust her when out you can do it on a long line.. Thing is, is to start with small distances and build up, try it in different places, but obviously it will be alot harder on her usual off lead time. :roll:

I also use an arms open hand sign so that even if Neo can't hear me he knows I want him to come.  I have also though about introducing a whistle.  Once they reliable come for a treat, then start to only reward half the recalls, pick the best ones so they're never sure when they'll get rewarded, as cockers are great at working out patterns!

Ok I'm going to shut up now because I sound like a dog trainer and I'm not!  Just something we've had to work on with Neo, cause he can get a bit lax in the old recall department!  :lol:  :lol:                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2004, 12:48:05 PM »
I have taught my dogs not to pull with very simple methods. When/if they pull, I just stop walking and pay no attention to the dogs. When they stop pulling I start walking again. Sometimes I change the direction I am walking to complitely if my dogs pull. This way they have learned that it's me who says which way we are going and at what speed  :lol: ..

This is the method I use with Brogan - works brilliantly if i am not in a hurry or walking with other dogs :roll:   We need to practise more as well - my fault for enjoying him being off lead   :wink:  

When my daughter walks Brogan he walks at heel all the way  :shock: He is never allowed off lead with her though - so pulling for anticipation is not there - put moi on the scene and hey presto - he wants ahead all the time - to get to B quicker!!  When he hits the end of the lead and we come to an abrupt halt - he will now return to my side - although I think to date this has taken 4 months to train  :shock:  Talk about having to be consistent.  Brogan won't touch food out walking - his treat is walking forward again.

I don't expect Brogan to walk at heel - he can walk wherever he wants but I do expect to be able to hold him with just a little finger and a loose lead!!  Starting out on an extending lead did a lot of our damage - got self rewarded for pulling the lead - however slight the pressure.  :?:

When I first started to tackle this problem - I used a 15ft training lead - to really give him a chance to have a successful loose lead - a quick change in direction instantly the pressure was applied - resulted in him having to catch up again - and back to a loose lead :D  We Walked in circles for weeks  :lol: We also kept some of our walks completely on lead to keep him guessing.  

He will pull on Saturday though rest assured!!!!! :twisted:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2004, 10:55:01 PM »
Hi There
Almost 2 weeks after posting and almost wondering wether I would ever be able to walk her with a collar and lead again as she pulled so hard she choked and was promptly sick  :shock:  I went out and bought a training harness.
It looks like a S&M type contraption as it has a collar with lots of D rings and also has a harness that threads thru the collar, behind the front legs and then clips under her chin. The lead is then clipped to the top of the harness bit.
When she pulls now she doesnt get pressure on her neck anymore but the harness tightens and must put pressure on her chest....
Well I think I might have a different dog. She now walks with me  :D  and i mean walk...she isnt trotting along anymore 3 feet infront. I am doing the stop when she pulls thing and ignoring and changing direction whilst she has the harness on as I am hoping we can go back to normal collar once she has learnt some manners. Will keep you posted!
Only hoping I can use the harness when we have our Bronze Good Citizen Exam in a couple of week *Fingers Crossed Everyone*
Thanks for your help
Janey x                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2004, 12:31:43 AM »
hey well my method which was working for us was to walk if the dog pulls  say {this way} tug lightly. and walk the oposite direction walk a few feet say {this way} and change back to direction carry on your route .
If the dog pulls again do the same carry on quite a bit more mabe 4 changes to get back on route . if the dogs really pulling spend time changing directions .
The object of doing this is to get your dog to listen and to keep his/her focus on you . I do mine on a loopy use a colla if you like its more effective im told.
Youl end up looking stupid but it does work  :lol: