Author Topic: Is behaviour linked to food?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline LesleyP

• Site Member
Is behaviour linked to food?
« on: July 12, 2004, 07:46:59 AM »
Hi all

As some of you may remember we have had a few problems since we rescued our cocker Bob.  One ongoing problem is his hyper activity, we have been given lots of good advice (working with a lady from APDT) but there is still a problem.  It has been suggested that the protein in James Welbeloved is too high for Bob and that we should try a lower protein food.

What difference in the protein levels will make a difference or is it trial and error? We much prefer dry food and Bob loves JWB and his coat is so glossy now (he was very dull and dry when we got him).  JWB has a protein level of 20%, we are thinking of trying Burns (I have found a local supplier and have used samples as sent by the website -Bob liked the food) which has a protein level of 18.5% - will this make a difference?  I really don't understand the protein levels in relation to hyper activity!

I am trying Bob on Naturediet (wet food) at the moment, which is only 10% protein, I am told I will see a change in him if it is the protein, almost immediately.  So far has been 2 days and no change.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Lesley & Bob                    

scoobie

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:10:27 AM »
Hi Lesley sorry that I can't help you regarding protein levels and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you but just a thought what about the additives etc in the food? I know they definately change behaviour in children so why not our pets?
Burns is a good food(I feed raw to scoobie) but I have fed him burns in the past and it's not full of nasty additives
Good luck
Edith                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 09:31:12 AM »
I don't think you can compare a wet food like Naturediet with a dry food like JWB as far as protein levels go as you're not comparing like with like. Naturediet is 75% moisture & to calculate the real protein levels, apparently you have to remove the moisture content first - Naturediet with 10% protein actually works out as 40% protein when you remove the moisture and so is not a low protein food. Having said that Naturediet is very good & not known for producing hyperactive behaviour. It's generally poor quality foods packed with artificial colourings & preservatives that can cause this sort of problem. Linda (Shandardel) has studied the connection between behaviour & diet so I'm sure she will be along later to advise you further.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 10:11:42 AM »
Is Bob a working cocker (I can't remember) as it could just be that he has a very high working drive bit like a working collie or springer and just needs the energy channelling in exercise and something stimulating.

As Jane said its often the cheaper highly coloured high addtive brands that would be affecting their behaviour but there's really probably not much difference as far as behaviour between the better quality foods.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LesleyP

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 12:12:55 PM »
Sorry this going to sound really stupid, but how would I know if Bob is a working cocker?  We know very little about him, not where he was born or to who.

Lesley                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 05:33:44 PM »
Sorry this going to sound really stupid, but how would I know if Bob is a working cocker?  We know very little about him, not where he was born or to who.

Lesley

Working Cockers can look very different from the show-type Cocker -they tend to have much shorter ears & look leggier with much less feathering (more like small Springers).

Jane                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 05:55:50 PM »
Or you can get half show/half working which can look like show type but behave like mad things                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!