Author Topic: Puppy ignoring me when trying to come back inside  (Read 843 times)

Offline sambennie

• Site Member
Puppy ignoring me when trying to come back inside
« on: July 15, 2004, 04:01:52 PM »
We have a 14 week old bitch called Rhudie, who so far has been an absolute angel.  However over the last week or so she has started not coming back into the house after going out for a pee.  We have a front door but the front garden is shared with our neighbour, and Rhudie has to go through a gate to the enclosed back garden.  Up till now once she has done her business we have come through the gate and she hops up the steps to the front door no problem, but she has started wandering into the neighbours garden and ignoring us as we try to call her back in.  We have been giving her treats etc when she has been coming in but this does not seem to work any more.  Does anyone have any ideas?  The neighbours front garden is relatively enclosed, but has a low front wall which, if she really wanted, Rhudie could jump over.  We are a bit worried.                    
Louise & Sam

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 04:06:18 PM »
I would take her out not just let her out and also keep her on a lead - even if it's a long line - piece of washing line would do and make her come using "come" and a treat when she's back. That way you control where she is and reinforce her actions as what you want her to do.

hth.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline sambennie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 04:13:17 PM »
Thanks for that.  Sorry, I didn't say so but we always go out with her to open the gate etc and to give her her treats when she does something :)  Good idea about the lead, it would be good not to have to use it but maybe just for a while till she learns not to run away... thanks again :)                    
Louise & Sam

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 04:17:22 PM »
I understand - but yes do use the lead for a while - it's not forever - just until she's got it firmly in her head what she has to do :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional