Author Topic: Following Me Everywhere  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Following Me Everywhere
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 11:37:51 PM »
Do you think if you move his bed from the conservatory to the living room in the evenings he might settle in the same room as you rather than walking back and forward? I think it sounds like he wants to be in his bed but also wants to know that you're still there. I don't think any of my 3 would be happy in another room if we were sitting in the living room, they like to be where we are. Occasionally Tilly will take herself off for a snooze in the bedroom but she always comes back in to check on us. If I tell Tilly and Rodaidh to settle on their sofa in the living room they will but if I get up and leave the room Rodaidh will always follow me unless I tell him to stay and even then he'll sit looking at the door til I get back. Caoimhe is practically surgically attached to me and although she settles well in her crate in the bedroom at night if she's asleep at any other time she has to be touching me, she's lying on my feet as I type this and if I move she'll follow me, she and Rodaidh almost always end up in the bathroom with me. I don't mind it tbh, I like them being around me.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 11:39:23 PM »
Milly is a velcro dog too!  ::) and yes, I've just got the one.

Offline aledlewis

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »
I get followed everywhere - the bathroom is my only private sanctuary and even then they both sit outside waiting.

If the bathroom door is slightly open, they sneak in and sit outside the shower like two peeping Toms!

I just think it's dead cute.

Offline sox

• Site Member
  • You don't have a life without a cocker
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 11:42:57 PM »
Do you think if you move his bed from the conservatory to the living room in the evenings he might settle in the same room as you rather than walking back and forward?

We have tried this and he always goes and lies down where his bed is in the conservatory  ph34r this is when his bed is in the lounge.........  >:(

He seems too like being in the conservatory rather than the lounge except when he is wondering.... if that makes any sense.

Will try this again tom night and see if that makes any differnce, Sox when lieing down is practically a foot warmer and also likes too get as close to me as possible, if he stays lieing down by my feet I have no probs with that at all.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »
 I was wondering if it's because we only have the one dog that they are more likely to want to have company.  It's just a thought!! :D

no, try living with 5 little shadows (more when the cats decide to join too)  ph34r ::) :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline sox

• Site Member
  • You don't have a life without a cocker
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 11:45:38 PM »
 I was wondering if it's because we only have the one dog that they are more likely to want to have company.  It's just a thought!! :D

no, try living with 5 little shadows (more when the cats decide to join too)  ph34r ::) :005:

I know that feeling too, you feel like a terrible mum when you have too move  :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 11:46:19 PM »
Maybe put his bed in the living room, close the conservatory door and give him a chew or something in his bed to keep him occupied, that might work to get him used to settling there.

I have 3 so it's definitely not just a single dog thing! Tilly isn't quite so bad as the other two though.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
I've had 2 of Surfer Rosa's Cockers staying a lot and they do it too now that they know me better, even to the point of them being in the little downstairs toilet with me! :005:

Puppy Duggie is starting to do it, but he's not always aware that I've moved at first if he's busy with a toy, it's so funny watching him race into the wrong room to find me. :lol2:

Would you not consider allowing Sox on the sofa for a cuddle with you when you're watching tv? Or you could sit on the floor with him. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 12:01:40 AM »
Roly follows me everywhere, however I do make sure that he can't follow me whenever he wants to.  Have child gate to stop him leaving the kitchen if necessary.  Misha, is the opposite, once she's settled down to sleep, she will stay put.  When I'm working during the day Roly will come and sleep between the wheels of my office chair which can be awkward if I get up quickly, I'm always worried that he'll get his fur or tail caught, so I just send him to his bed.  He has quite a good stay and if I ask him to stay he will do.  Most of the time he just wants to be able to see me, and I think I'd miss it if he didn't do it.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 12:43:53 AM »
Jenny used to follow me every where and when lois comes to stay he follows me aswell and now little penny follows me and prefers to sleep on my knee or on my feet.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline barb

• Site Member
  • Come Dancing!
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 03:04:42 AM »
Another velcro dog here too!  :005:
Pippa has beds all over the house  ph34r
She's fine when we go out though. On weekends if we're moving around a lot we get dirty looks as if to say will you guys either stay in one room or go out so I can sleep in peace!  ::)
I love having her close by, but like someone said feel a bit guilty disturbing her sometimes!  ph34r

Tip-toeing through the tulips!
Barb and Pippa

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »
Do you think if you move his bed from the conservatory to the living room in the evenings he might settle in the same room as you rather than walking back and forward? I think it sounds like he wants to be in his bed but also wants to know that you're still there. I don't think any of my 3 would be happy in another room if we were sitting in the living room, they like to be where we are. Occasionally Tilly will take herself off for a snooze in the bedroom but she always comes back in to check on us. If I tell Tilly and Rodaidh to settle on their sofa in the living room they will but if I get up and leave the room Rodaidh will always follow me unless I tell him to stay and even then he'll sit looking at the door til I get back. Caoimhe is practically surgically attached to me and although she settles well in her crate in the bedroom at night if she's asleep at any other time she has to be touching me, she's lying on my feet as I type this and if I move she'll follow me, she and Rodaidh almost always end up in the bathroom with me. I don't mind it tbh, I like them being around me.

this could be my three, they are the same apart from sleeping in the crate, they do everything you have said,  :lol2: and i like it like that, they are part of the family, Sox do you think he could be abit confused as you are sending him to his bed alot, could he be wanting to stay in with you but knows you are going to send him out again so is restless, if i kept sending any of mine out to their beds they would thinl they had done something wrong (not that i ever send them to bed as a punishment) they just wouldnt understand, i literally almost always have one or the other sitting on me, never mind next to me  :005: :005:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 09:10:21 AM »
Maybe put his bed in the living room, close the conservatory door and give him a chew or something in his bed to keep him occupied, that might work to get him used to settling there.

I have 3 so it's definitely not just a single dog thing! Tilly isn't quite so bad as the other two though.

Have 3 here too.....& all are followers too. Anyone else could leave the room & nothing  :shades: ...but I move & so do they......I'm used to it now & don't really mind.  We had a friends Bernese Mountain dog to stay last week & he was exactly the same.... not easy spending a penny with 4 dogs sat staring at you  ph34r >:( >:(

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline sal

• Site Member
  • Oska
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 09:28:39 AM »
.... not easy spending a penny with 4 dogs sat staring at you  ph34r >:( >:(

:005: :lol2: :005: :lol2:  Oska does this too but as soon as I reach for the toilet paper (sorry if too much info) he reverses back out and lies down and waits in the hall  ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 09:51:24 AM »
Jo - it's a cocker thing  :005:

.... not easy spending a penny with 4 dogs sat staring at you  ph34r >:( >:(

:005: :lol2: :005: :lol2:  Oska does this too but as soon as I reach for the toilet paper (sorry if too much info) he reverses back out and lies down and waits in the hall  ;)

Blimey I wish I was just stared at - if i don't shut her out she is sat on my lap for cuddles  :005: