Author Topic: How To Teach A Reliable Recall  (Read 71317 times)

Offline jackieant

• charlie
Re: How To Teach A Reliable Recall
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »
thanks mark for all your help and advice!
i have watched the video and im impressed ;) and undrestand now what i am actually supposed to do. you are truly amazing!
it is very good of you to share your talent with us.
i shall start on the recall work tonight
thanks again

Offline bondie

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
Thank you. Thank You!!! JB is  good at recall on our usual walks but when we go on holiday onto deserted beaches, he's "off with the fairies" and does his own thing. My attractions (and the goodies in my pocket) pale into insignificance compared with the delights of the sandunes!! Retaining starts NOW!!

Offline Ginger

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 06:38:37 PM »
Hi, I have just come across your post.  Bridie is 20 months old, in the house she is quite a good girl but outside I can't let her off at all.  For e.g. took her over the playing field today which is not secure, let her off and that was it, no matter how many times I called her back, she just took no notice.  Why is it she will do it in the house but not out and pay no attention to me whatsoever, she won't even come back for a treat?! Is it too late to start whistle training at 20 months? I'm sure if I read through loads of posts I will probably find the answer, but, desperation has kicked in today!!

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 04:47:24 PM »
no it's not to late at all :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline black taz

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »
Any suggestions of how to cope with "random" ignoring of recall.   I just seem to be taking two steps forward and one backwards with Taz.  he goes for weeks having a perfect recall, and then we will go on a walk and he completely ignores me and running as fast as he can in the opposite direction (only once per walk, when i finally get him back he goes back on lead), it would be easier in some ways if he always ignored me -then i would keep him permanently on lead, but with it being so random i never know when to expect it.  He does seem to be worse if i have met up with a friend - perhaps he thinks that he doesnt have my full attention!

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »
Any suggestions of how to cope with "random" ignoring of recall.   I just seem to be taking two steps forward and one backwards with Taz.  he goes for weeks having a perfect recall, and then we will go on a walk and he completely ignores me and running as fast as he can in the opposite direction (only once per walk, when i finally get him back he goes back on lead), it would be easier in some ways if he always ignored me -then i would keep him permanently on lead, but with it being so random i never know when to expect it.  He does seem to be worse if i have met up with a friend - perhaps he thinks that he doesnt have my full attention!

Is he following a scent (nose to the ground) or is he just ignoring you?

You prob just need to practice recall again. As fustrating as it is to be covering the same thing again.

You need something to break whatever it is thats taken his interest. I find it helps if i get my dogs if i revist attention to name exercises. Keep (a clicker if you use it) and treats about your person and when they are off doing their own thing say their name. If they look at you click and treat. And build this up so you can barely whisper their name and they look, or in the noisest, most destracting of places you can say it and they turn and look at you. You know you've cracked it when you can get them to look up from their dinner.  :005: Often if i can break mine away from whatever it is making them run away (usually scents) and get them to look at me they respond to my recall much better.

Offline black taz

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 12:53:37 PM »
Sarah - usually its a scent.  When i call him whilst he is trying to find the exact scent he will look up, but then the scent gets the better of him and off he goes, then i know it is pointless calling him  >:D.  If i catch him early enough then i'm O.K. but it tend to be when he is a bit away from me anyway.  In his defence he does come back eventually - i never go after him as i would never manage to catch him anyway, and usually within 5 minutes - and i can usually see him, albeit at a distance.  I read somewhere (the gundog website) that if they come back within a reasonable amount of time they want to be with you but cannot resist the distraction, whereas if they are gone for 15+ minutes, then they couldnt careless where you are.

Offline Ginger

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 09:37:17 PM »
Would like to give an update on Bridie's whistle training.  Amazing!  We are 4 days in to the long line whistle training. She was really put to the test for the first time tonight when another dog appeared in the little copse that we use.  We honestly thought that she would ignore the whistle - but no, every time, she came back.  She comes back like a bullet! Will keep this up for two weeks then move onto next stage. Then we go on holiday for a week so a little bit concerned about the break but hopefully my daughter will continue until we get back. 

I have been training her to 'down' in the field with a verbal command, should I being do that with a whistle as well?

Wish I'd seen your post earlier - hindsight is a wonderful thing  ;)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 09:33:39 AM »
Just received my whistle in the post and really can't wait to start the training. Will be sorting out the high value treat then getting straight on with it. Freyas recall has always been 99% spot on but with young Harvey to think of too I want to get it right. Can't wait, will update when I have some news  :lol2: Thanks Mark, advice like this from someone who knows thier stuff is truly invaluable  :lol:

Offline Ricka9

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
 ;) Thanks to AJW reminding me and giving me this link I have found this information extremely helpful.  Roxie comes every time I call at the moment, but needs to come to others, which she hesitates over.  I mean my husband and son in law - the latter will be looking after her during the day in September.

I will begin training at once and have found the step by step instructions very helpful.  I had not thought as far as having her off lead yet as behaviour on lead is not excellent - shes only a baby!  Noises and distractions, you know what I mean.  Anyway, wont hurt to add to the training - keep her interested - me too!

Keep up the good work.
If everyone treated everyone like a faithful dog treats its owner - what a world!

Offline mooching

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 06:06:45 PM »
A probably silly question here from a newcomer to all of this!

Once your dog has learned to respond to the whistle, do you still call them first and only blow it when they are on their way back to you, or do you then move on to blowing it to get them to come back to you?

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2010, 09:55:30 PM »
A probably silly question here from a newcomer to all of this!

Once your dog has learned to respond to the whistle, do you still call them first and only blow it when they are on their way back to you, or do you then move on to blowing it to get them to come back to you?

the ultimate aim is to get them to turn on a sixpence when they here the whistle but this process is to make the connection between whistle, coming to you and fab rewards.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Rachelb

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 02:02:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice :)
Rachel & Daisy

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2010, 09:30:09 AM »
Great advice and thanks for sharing it Top Barks.

Posie has been getting very good at her recall but it isn't 100% consistent. Usually when there are distractions such as scents, but she will often come back from greeting another dog. We've accepted this for now as she is only 6 months old. We tend to only call her when we know she isn't distracted, and then we'll do this repeatedly for a few minutes just to get it through to her.

She has only run off in an unacceptable diirection (like she knows that, eh?) once - she chased a low flying crow towards the road but she did stop before going through the railings and looked back to my wife then returned. Not sure if it was the barrier or the calling that did the trick, but it did scare the life out of my wife and she's been nervous about letting Posie off the lead anywhere since, hence looking at something more definite for a recall.

I've got the whistle ordered and we'll because we already have a good recall basis to work from we'll be using a slightly modified routine to the article. I'd appreciate some opinions on this.

We plan to add the whistle once she has started returning to us on verbal command then give the treat as usual. But also use the whistle around the house and garden to reinforce the recall/reward connection. So basically just adding the whistle to the call.

Does that sound reasonable?

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 06:35:11 PM »
Scarlett is doing great with whistle training!
today was our first day out on a long leash!!
But couple of times the scent on the ground was stronger than the whistle...
What do we do in this case?
I mean I whistled and she ignored me.
I whistled again and then she came but not immediately...
The treats are her favourite boiled sausage and only for whistle training...
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976