Author Topic: How To Teach A Reliable Recall  (Read 72221 times)

Offline Katie_and_Millie

Re: How To Teach A Reliable Recall
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
Wow thanks, I am definitely going to order a whistle and try this one! 

Any ideas on what to use for treats?  As I don't have an oven/cooker I can't cook chicken and have been using normal treats bought from the pet shop to train sit/stay etc. 

Are puppy choc drops ok?

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2011, 11:05:55 AM »

Any ideas on what to use for treats?  As I don't have an oven/cooker I can't cook chicken and have been using normal treats bought from the pet shop to train sit/stay etc.  

Go for something really special, the smellier the better.
Mine love garlic sausage, hot dogs but will work for carrots.  
Liver cake & pilchard cake are great if you can find somebody to make them for you  ;)
Or you can buy them online http://www.klassycaninebakery.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=142
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline seaangler

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »
Wow thanks, I am definitely going to order a whistle and try this one!  

Any ideas on what to use for treats?  As I don't have an oven/cooker I can't cook chicken and have been using normal treats bought from the pet shop to train sit/stay etc.  

Are puppy choc drops ok?

As I don't have an oven/cooker.......How do you cook then!!!!!!

You dont need a cooker to cook chicken..... boil the chicken.....in water..  :D

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
Or you can use a steamer to cook it. Tesco sell value precooked chicken chunks think they were about  £1.89ish
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline KEV 16

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Hi Mark
Just been reading your quote and the success people are having with it, I have a 9 month old cocker called Jess.
She is great around house at recall but rubbish when we are out say at beach or park which is only places she gets off lead,
I am going to follow your guide to the letter but wondering do I need to keep her on lead during this time or can I still take her to the beach and park and use my usual method when I let her off lead which is wait till she ready to come in or take chance to put her back on lead when I get it. When beach is quiet I just walk her back to car off lead she does get in no bother when I tell her. Wish I had read this quote when I first got her.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
if you are going to use the whistle, make sure you set your self up to succeed, if that means keeping your dog on a line then so be it.
The key here is making sure you use the best rewards and build up a history in a variety of situations of getting the behaviour that you want.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline KEV 16

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »
Thanx will keep her on lead till completed your guide for recall,will be hard it gives me a lot of pleasure to see her running about enjoying her self, but I really need a relyable recall so I can walk her off lead in other safe places where I can be confident at getting her back to me when I need to eg when we meet other dogs I am not sure of or getting near roads.

Offline Katie_and_Millie

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
Thanks.

I don't have a cooker/oven as I live in an Army mess, I have a microwave and that's it!  I will try asking the chefs if they will cook me some chicken or something. 

Offline black taz

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »
My friend is in the army and the Mess chef has cooked for her dogs in the past.

Offline max2011

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2011, 11:05:37 AM »
Hi, For the last 4/5 weeks I have been training Max to come using the whistle. I followed Top Barks sticky and spent a good 3/4 weeks just using it at home and in the garden. I use chicken which I save only for the whistle. Max came every time so last week I started outside on the long line. Again Max came every time so I have taken him off the lead. He has been brilliant and comes back each time he hears the whistle (i don't over do it maybe just 2/3 times a walk). Once I couldn't see him anywhere so risked blowing the whistle and thankfully he came running back.

My concern is that today for the first time I saw him hesitate when I blew it. He did come but the fact he hesitated has me worried. Is there anything I can do to get him back on track to make sure he will come?

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2011, 11:13:43 AM »
I have been working on this for a while also and now on my step 4 - I use little cheese cubes as he loves cheese and i have made sure its the only time he gets it - Its been great ! I shouted him the other day when we were out in the field - he started trotting back to me and then when i blew the whistle when he was trotting back he started running really fast towards me  :luv: Seems to be working a treat hehe
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »
Hi, For the last 4/5 weeks I have been training Max to come using the whistle. I followed Top Barks sticky and spent a good 3/4 weeks just using it at home and in the garden. I use chicken which I save only for the whistle. Max came every time so last week I started outside on the long line. Again Max came every time so I have taken him off the lead. He has been brilliant and comes back each time he hears the whistle (i don't over do it maybe just 2/3 times a walk). Once I couldn't see him anywhere so risked blowing the whistle and thankfully he came running back.

My concern is that today for the first time I saw him hesitate when I blew it. He did come but the fact he hesitated has me worried. Is there anything I can do to get him back on track to make sure he will come?

back on the long line and look at your reinforcers. Are they strong enough in that environment, remember food is only rewarding if your dog wants food. Wallace my fieldy much prefers the throw of a ball.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline grav

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2012, 10:14:19 PM »
my dog is coming up to 18 months is it too late?? normally very good when younger but gone a bit too cocky now, will tend to ignore and wander off also if anything gets his attention (other dog) he is off, very annoying. Will this technique help or is it too late? Also as i work in the day my father will take him out for a walk in the day and i will take him in the evening, my dad will let him off the lead in the field and so will I, will this affect the Reliable Recall training if we are letting him run around the field or is it still ok? Or do we have to basically knuckle down on him for a fe weeks?

Offline terryd

• Site Member
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
As above really but my dog is 7 years would the same method apply ?

Offline Jenna

• Bailey Boy!
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »
As above really but my dog is 7 years would the same method apply ?

We taught this to a neighbors dog who was 10 at the time. Worked like a charm! We did it exactly as written.