Author Topic: How to stop matty scratching doors  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: How to stop maatty scratching doors
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 08:45:12 AM »

Ebay's a good place to look - even the brand new ones are about half the price they are in the shops!  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline BabyB

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 09:57:27 AM »
Ebay is where I got ours.  But when we stopped using them I sold them to a friend at work.  She got a bargain  :shades: Think she paid me £30 for the two  ;) and they were less than a year old.

You could 'borrow' one from a fellow dog walker perhaps. I'd just ask when out and about if anyone had a crate you could borrow for a week or so.  Matty will either love it or hate it.  If you wanted to persist in crate training him, then you could then buy one.

Just an idea  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »
I was going to say try and borrow one for a couple of weeks (we don't have one so can't lend you one) or buy one on Ebay and then resell it on Ebay when you're finished with it.

Alternatively, don't know which rescue you got Mattie from but our local rescue where I volunteer sells crates pretty cheap, and they always do a couple of follow up calls after rehoming a dog and are always there for advice and support - maybe your rescue could help.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »
Have a look in the classifieds in your local paper, you might pick one up cheap.

Or freecycle maybe.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline mattys mum

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
ok I have my fingers crossed behind my back and I am saying this really quietly so that matty cant hear  :005: we might not need a crate yet as guess what Matty didnt start scratching til 6am today - I didnt let him get to howls or barks before opening the door saying no and pushing him back in (when he had settled about 5 mins later I went in and gave him the biggest good morning ever)

I know it could be a fluke but if he has cracked after three days of 'no and push'  I then just have to retrain myself not to lie there from 4am waiting for him to scratch and bark so that i can jump out of bed

Today he is not only gorgeous he is the best dog in the world  :luv:

How do i add pics is it insert image?

Mandy

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 08:48:28 AM »
Way to go Matty!!!! :luv:

If you go to the photo board, it tells you there how to post pics. I use photobucket image hosting website but there are other ways to do it.  ;)
Paula & Freddie x

Offline mattys mum

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 06:08:48 AM »
Thank you

I will do that

Matty has decided that one day a week is enough for a lie in ...scratching...5..5.15, 5.30, 5.45 oh well

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Re: How to stop matty scratching doors
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »
Ok, this may sound off but I agree a crate would be the way to go, I mean, he litterally wouldn't be able to scratch as he couln't get to the door to do it (I suppose he could still whine though  :-\). And if you're going to leave him there anyway then it may aswell be in a crate?? Sorry if that sounds mean, i'm not suggesting restricting him all the time until your ready to wheel him out, just that a cosy, dark crate would be nicer for him anyway probably than a bed on laminate in a kitchen that I'd assume doesn't have curtains? Join your local freecycle and post a 'wanted' add or put up a note in your vets/pet shop. I often see them at boots sales or auctions  :blink
Failing that maybe you could give him a stuffed kong when you go down in the morning to entertain him, but then I suppose that doesn't help the paws padding around. Maybe a rug to stiffle the noise?
As hard as it is 'ignore' I think is the best way however being a rescue this probably isn't the case. I'd have given up and had him up to the bedroom by now  :005: I understand what lack of sleep can do!
:
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline mattys mum

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »
Hello 'coco'

I would have had him in the bedroom - but the OH has the final say so that is not to be...

Kongs - so far doesnt touch them

So the search for a crate begins

Sorry if you have told me guys - whats the best way to get him to be comfy in it and not afraid etc

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 06:52:29 PM »

I've copied and pasted this from another thread where I explained how we crate trained Honey....  :D

We re-crate trained our dog aged 2yrs, as we couldn't get her to settle anywhere other than our house - visits to in-laws were a nightmare, as she would get us up at 5am, and as they had brand new solid wood doors, we couldn't leave her to scratch!  We ended up with her in our room at night, and then up and about at 5am, which wasn't workable - she was stressed at the idea of going to bed in the kitchen and I was getting worried about how my in-laws would "solve" the problem when she stays without us (they are lovely, but very much feel dog is a dog and should just get on with it!).  The first visit after crate training, we set the crate up in the living room (so any stress she had about staying in the kitchen wasn't transferred to the crate) and she slept through quite happily until 7-7.30 each morning (when the chickens probably woke her up!).

She had never really liked her crate as a pup, but I spent about a fortnight introducing her crate as a nice place (rewarding her with lots of treats every time she chose to go in, never forcing her, or even trying to encourage her to go in, always waiting for her to make the decision that she wanted to! - we did use a clicker initially to help speed this up, as I know Honey responds very well to the clicker).  I gradually built up to closing the door when she went in, and then eventually to leaving the room between treats while the door was shut.  Just building up the time gradually and keeping it fun and very much on her terms...

This meant when I took her away for the weekend, she viewed the crate as somewhere really safe and nice - we went on a T-Touch workshop, which was quite stressful for her, as there were lots of dogs she had never met in a room she'd never been in.... her crate was the one thing that was safe and familiar and she loved it... (although she did guard it from other dogs!!!  Hiding ) we stayed in the travelodge overnight and I had been expecting not to get much sleep, but I shut her in the crate for the first time overnight, and apart from barking when a bunch of people decided to have a conversation outside our room at 2am, she was fine....
We shut the crate overnight at home from there on in, and now at bedtime she races to her crate after her night-time wee, ready for her bedtime biscuit!  The only time she disturbs us overnight is if she REALLY needs the loo... and while we don't push the mornings too much, there is no batting the crate door in the mornings, she patiently waits until we come and let her out.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 06:54:09 PM »
I'd search threads on crate training - loads of advice on here. You will probably have to go really slowly at first - just treating for looking at it or sniffing it then moving on to putting treats inside with door open, treats inside with door closed, treats inside with door closed and you out of room etc etc.

Good luck.
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 08:23:49 PM »
Hello 'coco'

I would have had him in the bedroom - but the OH has the final say so that is not to be...

I don't mean you should do. Just that well done for sticking it out  ;)

Wherry and Giz just had a cosy bed, toy and half the crate covered with a blanket and they just seemed to take to it. I don't use one now for Giz but Wherry is still happy in hers. Neither of them touched kongs in the early stages but love them now. Treat biscuits and a pate 'stopper' and they're away  :blink:

Offline mattys mum

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 06:30:26 AM »
Hi everyone

My goodness when I posted on this site three weeks ago when we got matty, i said that I had forgotten what it was like to get a new dog and what to do and this is so true.

I so want Matty to be happy and settled and apart from the early morning scratching & howling & barking we are doing great.  He really is where I would expect him to be in 3 months not three weeks.

I cant believe how much I have deliberateted over how to help him settle (fast because I need my sleep sorry Matty) and whether to try a crate or not.  I am also extremely patient in the day but once I get to the 4am-5am stage I turn in ti mrs zombie .... even though when I am awake I know it will take time I then begin to get paranoid I am doing it wrong etc etc

We have access to a crate today (I rang around and a friend can lend us one) BUT NOW i am unsure whther to put it into the store next to the kitchen - this was the old bathroom and now has two cupboards about 3ftx6ft floor space, a radiator and no windows or the kitchen which is next to the store and he is used to but is nearer the busy front road and has a huge window and no curtains.  do i leave it in the room with the door open for the first few nights, do i partially or fully cover it? all the time or just at night ? how do I deal with Matty if he then still howls/barks in the morning... time for a lie down for me that is

i will read the info on the site and see if that helps

Thanks everyone for your support

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Did you try the crate yet?  :D

Offline mattys mum

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 02:13:50 PM »
Hi

Got the crate last night - Matty has gone in to be castrated today - going to set the crate up today and see how he reacts - my main worry is that once we are shutting him in he reverts back to barking and howling at 4-5 am

FIngers crossed