Author Topic: 11 month old misbehaving  (Read 2468 times)

Offline karenl

• Amber
11 month old misbehaving
« on: July 13, 2010, 03:16:03 PM »
been on here several times about our puppy , usually about her behavior, she has always been snappy and very strongwilled. we took her to a behaviorist several months ago and we were told that she is a nervous dog she is on calming tablets twice a day by recommendation , then she went on heat and was a nightmare got over that one and she did seem to calm down a bit , now she seems very hostile again and i am at breaking point with her she barks at my neighbours when she hears them at the side of the house and snarls and goes mad she wont listen to anything i try to try and stop her then she trys to bite me if shes really hyper! thats just the tip of the iceburg she has now started to bark at me around the house and growl, i have about had enough we seem to go from one thing to another . she is being spayed in two weeks time and hoping she improves after that or i don't know what else we can do to keep her i am exhausted and not enjoying her as you are supposed to , is this just her age i wonder or is she just a bad dog, don't get me wrong i am so attached to her now that the very thought of parting with her breaks my heart any advise would be appreciated.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: 11 month old misbehaving
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 03:30:04 PM »
What are you feeding her on?  :shades:

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
What kind of training programme have you been doing with her?

Millie

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 03:39:16 PM »
just about to ask the same thing
what do you do with her on a typical day, how many times dose she go out for a walk /run
do you work? how long is she left on her own in a day
do you take her to puppy training classes

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
Sorry you're struggling, It's very unlikely she's a 'bad' dog.... like the others I have questions too!

How have you been handling her when she's been snapping or growling at you?
Is she working or show type?
Has she had any medical problems and have you talked to her breeder?

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
is this just her age i wonder or is she just a bad dog, don't get me wrong i am so attached to her now that the very thought of parting with her breaks my heart any advise would be appreciated.

Neither... It's not just her age, as this behaviour isn't normal for a dog of any age.  But she's not a "bad dog" - she's obviously very troubled and expressing this through her behaviour.

What did the behaviourist suggest you did, other than putting her on tablets?  Generally medication should be used to enable behaviour modification to take place, not as the single solution...
Has she been checked by the vet for any physical problem?  If the vet is happy, it may be worth getting a chiropractor or physiotherapist to look at her too (our dog became very temperamental with other dogs, and it turned out she has a bad back, which we now manage with 6 monthly chiropractor visits and me massaging the muscle spasms in the meantime...).

It is very normal for a dog to bark at noises outside - Honey hates delivery people, would happily kill the postman, and barks at any noise which doesn't belong (last one was a horse in our front garden, so you can't blame her for being a bit confused!!!).  You need to train a "quiet" command to try and break the cycle (though, tbh, I haven't succeeded in this... however I can reduce the barking now....).  You could also try getting her to associate the noises with a good thing - in the same way that Top Barks helped his dogs with fireworks (if you search for "fireworks and cheese" you should see a link to a you tube video showing this - it's great!!!) - so whenever the noise starts, throw some yummy treats right by her...
Try not to get frustrated by the barking, as this may reinforce it - she may feel you are frustrated at the original noise rather than her barking, so bark more to scare away the thing that is upsetting you, iyswim...

As far as other behaviour, as others have said, if would be helpful to know more - exercise, training, diet etc, as well as how you respond to the behaviour (and some specific examples, as aggression can be so difficult to interpret!) - they all have an impact on a dog's behaviour.

I think you need to get a behaviourist out to see the behaviour (whether this is the same one, or a different one depends on whether the first one actually gave you usable advice!  :shades: ), but with more info we may be able to help you manage the situation while you are waiting for this... 

Also, I'd be reluctant to spay her while this is still an issue - the hormonal changes following the spay (as well as the physical pain from the op itself) could cause a deterioration in her behaviour, and if it is nervous aggression, spaying has been linked with an increase in this. 
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »
thankyou for your responses ,firstly she is a poor eater has been right from getting her and with the breeder! tried various things but now she is on biscuit mix and tinned dog food when she will eat it . she has been to puppy classes and is generally very obedient. she is walked twice a day  on lead for an hour and free across fields for her second walk, she loves to run free and never goes far away from us she always stops at gates etc.i am at home with her most of the time as i do not work now. she is a beautiful gold- show dog although she was bred as a pet not for showing. we haven't talked to the breeder.                 
when she has these strops which are very often now i have tried to ignore her , put her behind a stairgate when i can get near her, she is not good at being restrained so cant get hold of anything but her collar if i can.she is my first dog and i have tried hard to be a good owner to her but feel i am failing.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 05:34:44 PM »
Sorry to hear about your problems with your pup...I've read through your previous posts, but not the answers, so forgive me if I'm repeating what others may have said.

The first thing I though about was that you say you have problems restraining your pup (when trying to put her behind baby gates, etc.). This might be something that you can use clicker training for.....ie click and reward her for being calm. If you are agitated whilst you're trying to calm her/restrain her, this will make matters worse.

I don't know what your behaviourist said, but I know there a lot of dodgy folk out there, setting themselves up as behaviourists, but with no real qualifications whatsover. They can quite easily tell you that your dog is "nervous" or whatever; they "identify" the problem and then you have to cough up loads of money for "them" to sort itout. Was your behaviourist a member of the APBC?

Exactly what kind of food are you giving your pup? And how much training? Do you use a clicker? Cockers needs lots of mental stimulation to keep their active minds focused and even teaching your dog tricks, helps to keep her mind alert and tires them out as much, if not more, than exercise.

Sorry if this has already been said. My Chloe is my first ever dog, and whilst I haven't had the same problems as you, I recognise the importance of keeping her little mind on the go, as well as keeping her body healthy and active iyswim.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope that it won't be long before you'll be posting happy stories about your pupster  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »

One thing that springs to mind from your response that will help in the short term, while you work on the issues... you say you have to grab her collar?  A lot of dogs can find this very confrontational - what might be a better idea is to use her lead as a slip lead (loop the lead through the handle) and lead her to where you need her to be... this approach means you are not needing to invade her space while she is stressed....
In the meantime you can do as SkyeSue suggested, and clicker train her to go to a certain place on command.  You can also clicker train her to accept you holding her collar at times when you are both calm and relaxed...

Also, what brand of food is she on - that is what can often make a difference...  ;)

It also sounds like some fun training could help both of you - you to enjoy her company some more, and her to keep her mind occupied. 
Though this won't solve the aggression issues - you do really need a properly qualified professional to observe and help you with these, but it might help you both enjoy each others company more in the meantime!

You can also try handfeeding her - again this will help her trust you more and certainly won't do any harm!

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 07:09:43 PM »
the behaviourist has her own business and was recommended by our vet ,  i also think  ourpuppy needs more stimulation and we do try and play ball ect , i am not a shouty loud person who gets agitated with her i am quite calm and don't grab her in a rage  but I'm sure she senses that i do get nervous when she gets hyper ! will try your method of getting her back in though . she is on butchers dog food and biscuit mix at the moment we even chop up small pieces of chicken just to get her to eat it as she is such a faddy eater, one thing i didn't mention is that when my husband is home she hardly displays any of this behavior !

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 07:25:01 PM »
I don't know if I have anything useful to say because last week I was posting - "Upset because I am failing"! Just to say you are not alone in finding things a struggle.  :bigarmhug:

Freddie is our first dog and I am taking a long time to adjust to the changes dog ownership brings. One thing does spring to mind - Butchers is not a very highly thought of brand of food - you will find lots of threads on feeding and different brands. We feed Freddie Natural Instinct raw food (comes in 1kg frozen packs) and he loves it - but he is a gannet and will eat anything. Others will probably advise you on other brands - Freddie has a very sensitive tum and cannot tolerate kibbles.

If you feel like you need to offload, pm me as we wound like we are both a bit between a rock and a hard place at the moment but with the help offered on here plus good behaviourist advice for you, I'm sure we can get there!  :D
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 08:18:08 PM »

Ok - please don't think I'm being pushy or anything, but the behaviourist - what did she actually do? what did she advise? does she have any qualifications or accreditations?  As SkyeSue mentioned anyone can set up as a behaviourist - I could go out tomorrow, design myself a website and start charging for advice... (Ok, I'd need insurance first, but as it stands there's no regulation out there!)  There are some good people who haven't got qualifications, and there are people who have qualifications that really aren't worth the paper they are printed on, so it can be a minefield.  Your vet is unlikely to know much about behavioural issues, so won't necessarily know what to look for in a good behaviourist...  ;)

With the food, what brand is the mixer?  I can't see anywhere that sells a Butchers mixer, so I can't look at the ingredients... but the meat looks ok - the key is it being free of colourings etc!  Have you tried different flavours?  It is possible she has an intolerance to a particular meat, so it could be worth trying a new flavour and excluding all other meat sources for a while to see if this helps.

Playing ball is fine, but it's not mental stimulation... in fact it can make a dog over-excited and make it harder for them to focus... I know I really have to limit any ball play with Honey, as she gets so obsessed with it that she can't switch off... we've worked for 2 yrs to get it to the point where we can incorporate some ball play into our walks, once or twice a week... any more than that, then her tolerance of other dogs really starts to deteriorate!

I am sure you don't grab her in rage, but the mere physical action if confrontational to a dog.  It's obvious from all of your posts about Amber that you want to make this work and are very committed to her.  :luv:  Sometimes it's easier for an outsider to see the simple ways at reducing stress within a situation...  ;)  You are right, though, she will sense that you are nervous and this will feed her behaviour.

Another thing to consider would be T-Touch - this would not only help build a positive bond between you, but could also help her to reduce some of her anxiety.

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 08:23:25 PM »
thankyou i remember reading your post with great interest was going to respond but thinking about it didn't really know what to say to help you, hope that Freddy has got better for you i really hope that Amber will turn a corner too i will look into the food suggestion thanks.

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »
the brand of mixer she is on is morrisons own we tried a few others and she would not touch them , the butchers tinned food is natural nutrition three  different flavours in the pack , we also understand about not changing a dogs diet too often  but just getting her to eat something is an achievement . can i ask what is t touch ? cant find the info on the dog behaviorist right now but she has qualifications and as i said was recommended by our vet.she also said that Amber has nervous aggression and we should ignore her if she shows signs such as grumbling,

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 08:56:14 PM »

Can't find the ingredients of the Morrisons mixer, but it's worth checking whether it has any artificial colourants in...

T Touch http://www.ttouchtteam.com/ is a mix of bodywork and groundwork exercises which can help a dog increase in confidence and can help a range of physical and behavioural problems.

It doesn't sound like the behaviourist gave you any practical advice on how to help Amber  :-\ it's all well and good ignoring grumbling, but unless you teach her new coping skills, this isn't going to stop her doing it.