Author Topic: Sleeping  (Read 1175 times)

Offline LynznNeil

Sleeping
« on: July 05, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »
Our 7month old cocker has a bad sleeping habit we need help with. Instead of keeping himself amused when he wakes up in the morning he whines, bangs against the gate and cupboards to try to get out. At first I thought this was him needing the toilet so raced down to let him out. Now I think it's because he wants to be with us. I've tried ignoring him but fear the neighbours will hear & complain. All his toys are with him but he doesn't seem interested & when I go to him he is yawning. I know he's still young but is there anyway of helping to keep his amusement until a reasonable hour? Any help gratefully received.

Offline Sarah1985

Re: Sleeping
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 01:42:31 PM »
My two still do this at weekends but because they're in my bed I get nosed untill i respond. It's not a problem in the week as Im now starting at 6am. I beat them up  :005: I cant really blame my two as they are used to eating and pooing so early in the morning so their body clocks are wired this way even at weekends  >:(

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 03:31:37 PM »
Is the crate covered? if not that is something you might try, does sound like attention seeking behaviour

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »
All sounds very familiar - Freddie, 8 months, is the same. He was regularly awake at 5.30am but has got a bit better since going to 2 meals a day. Usually he wakes around 6.30am now but he barks on and off until someone goes down. In the week 6.30 isn't a problem because we need to be up then to walk him etc before school/work but would like a lie in at the weekend. We just take it in turns to get up. Once he's awake he just wants to see us.
Paula & Freddie x

Offline LynznNeil

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:35:03 PM »
He's not in a crate he's in the kitchen. So is the best thing to ignore him then? I have tried this but doesn't seem to deter him.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:37:56 PM »
It has taken Honey till now to allow us a lie in.  We managed to move our get up time from 6am (at her demand) to 7.30am (on our alarm) but don't want to risk pushing it further in case we undo our progress.
It was a long haul.  

It started with me setting my alarm for 5.45am - getting up BEFORE she started scratching and whining... then I would go down, let her out, then we would lie on the sofa together until it was time to get up properly.  I gradully set the alarm later... occassionally I'd have pushed it too far and she would wake us, but I always reset my alarm and got out of bed on the alarm (hoping she would hear and see that this was the cue, not her behaviour!).  It took months in the end, but we got there.  She is now crated overnight, and only disturbs us if she really needs the loo or something else is wrong.... I think she would probably lie in longer, but as I say, I don't want to risk it.

I think her getting a little older helped too, as she is generally less clingy now than when she was under a year...
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline mooching

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 11:44:08 PM »
He's not in a crate he's in the kitchen. So is the best thing to ignore him then? I have tried this but doesn't seem to deter him.

How would you feel about getting him a crate?

Offline LynznNeil

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »
He had one when we got him but wasn't interested plus our kitchen & house isn't very big. We're just going to perservere. Hopefully when he gets older he will become less clingy.

Offline mooching

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 08:55:38 PM »
It's just that with a crate you can cover it with something dark to help keep them asleep longer.

Our kitchen and house are small, but we find the crate invaluable.

Offline LynznNeil

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Update. We seem to have turned a corner. We brought a blackout blind at the weekend for the kitchen and it's pitch black in there for scooby. This seems to have taught him that it's not time to get up....the crying has all but stopped. Yippee. Fingers crossed this will remain.  :lol2:

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 08:05:11 AM »
Update. We seem to have turned a corner. We brought a blackout blind at the weekend for the kitchen and it's pitch black in there for scooby. This seems to have taught him that it's not time to get up....the crying has all but stopped. Yippee. Fingers crossed this will remain.  :lol2:

Glad to hear you've cracked it, there's nothing more satisfying, especially where sleeps involved! x  :lol2: