Author Topic: A poo eating question  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
A poo eating question
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:30:48 PM »
Wondered whether this should have gone under feeding  ph34r :005:

No, seriously.....as you may know, Lyla went off raw food a while back and it was always my intention to get her back on it which I did a week or so ago.  When they were both on a mixture of Land of Holistic Pets and Healthy Paws I had no trouble.  Now Lyla is back on Natural Instinct, I caught Kali today eating Lyla's poo.  My question is not how to stop her (although I would like to) but rather, what do you think is in the NI that Kali is obviously lacking and trying to supplement her diet with by eating said poo? :-\ ph34r :embarassed:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline raauty4

Re: A poo eating question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »
put some tinned pineapple into your dogs meal (vets give me this tip ) and it works

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:41:27 AM »
Thank you for that and I will probably try it eventually  :blink: but I was more concerned with what is missing in Kali's diet that she finds Lyla's poo so attractive  :-\

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:10:42 AM »
put some tinned pineapple into your dogs meal (vets give me this tip ) and it works

so you feed tinned pineapple to a dog that doesn't eat it's own poo to put off the dog that does eat the poo?  Sorry but that makes no sense to me  :lol2:

Sheryl -  I think it's the amount of protein in the raw fed poo that makes it appealing - that's apparently why cat poo is so attractive to dogs as well as there is a far higher protein content in cat food than in dog food.... :020:

helen & jarvis x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »
So really the answer is just picking up instantly to stop any problems I guess.  What a shame for Kali.....I would so love to have her back on raw too :-\  Hey ho!

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
I just think if something different is being fed they just find it just as irresistably tasty when it comes out the other end too  :020:

Ruby has been on Burns chicken and rice for a while (7.5kg bag),and ignores her poo  :angel:

BUT,we changed to pork and potato five days ago and she just lurrrves to clean up after herself  >:D  :020:

Though i expect the novelty of a "new" flavour to wear off in a week or so  :lol2:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 05:28:37 PM »
I just think if something different is being fed they just find it just as irresistably tasty when it comes out the other end too  :020:

Ruby has been on Burns chicken and rice for a while (7.5kg bag),and ignores her poo  :angel:

BUT,we changed to pork and potato five days ago and she just lurrrves to clean up after herself  >:D  :020:

Though i expect the novelty of a "new" flavour to wear off in a week or so  :lol2:

I think burns poo eating is quite common :dunno:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »

We had Alfie on Burns not long ago and although he didnt actually eat his poo he did find it very interesting and would stand there smelling and licking it for ages unless we called him away :020: dirty boy!
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:41:56 PM »

obviously very tasty then...... :lol2:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 05:40:15 PM »

We tried this but it didn't ahve any effect. The vet said it has to be FRESH pineapple, as the chemical that deters them isn't present in tinned  :huh: He had already stopped the habit by then, so I never found out if it's true/

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 05:51:56 PM »
She was at it again this morning (obviously I was too slow ph34r) and it is definitely just Lylas poo she is eating.  That is two mingers I have now! ph34r >:(

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 11:12:56 PM »

Katie  - whilst having grown out of eating her own poo - thank goodness, she does love waiting for Smudge to 'go' and he does have Burns. But a good strong 'leave it' command seems to be halting this habit.

When Smudge was small he used to eat Suzie's poo and she was fed Winalot tinned......and someone told me then was feed a bit of Winalot on his Burns and that seemed to work in that he stopped the habit.  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline maggieann

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 11:44:07 PM »
Last winter Torin started eating poo again - he used to do it when he was a pup. I bought Fresh Pets Deterrent to put in his food http://www.pongypets.co.uk/ it definitely helped.  :blink:
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline mattys mum

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 06:01:58 AM »
Matty eats everything >:(. In the garden it bird, fox, rabbit, cat and his own poo and anything else he can find the smellier the better it seems.

When we are out if its on the floor its his - really frustrating

We believe its because before being rescued he had to scavenge?

He leaves if we say leave but he is very sneaky

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 09:11:54 AM »
Matty eats everything >:(. In the garden it bird, fox, rabbit, cat and his own poo and anything else he can find the smellier the better it seems.

When we are out if its on the floor its his - really frustrating

We believe its because before being rescued he had to scavenge?

He leaves if we say leave but he is very sneaky

Oh yes indeedy - they can be.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.