Author Topic: Penny lying on her back when meeting people  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Sarah1985

Re: Penny lying on her back when meeting people
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
Dexter does this all the time. The dog behaviourist at obedience class say hes got impeckable (sorry about the spelling) doggy manners and that if you dog is doing that you've got nothing to worry about with regards his temperament.

Hes brave enough to go the biggest dog in there and roll over and not have a problem. Dexters often used a stouge for aggressive cases because hes like this. Yes if we're labeling it its prob submssive but I personally dont think thats a problem.

Why is a dominant dog a bad thing and now a submissive dog is a bad thing. If its not causing a problem for us or the dog why label it? Ignore them

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 08:31:26 PM »
Mole does this and he will be 2 in September. He is the quieter of our two in the sense of meeting other dogs............he will run the other way and Baja will go and play  :005:

I was playing with a 10 week black lab yesterday and when Mole found us, he dropped to the floor and lay on his back whilst the pup sniffed him all over, he's used to seeing this pup at day care and has known them since they were born, but he still chooses to lay back and let him walk all over him  :005:

I wouldn't worry  :D

Offline Abbi

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »
Sounds just like Abbi (15 mths). She often rolls on her back when greeting another dog and I've never thought it was a problem. She just generally gets lots more fuss from other owners who have a bit of a laugh at her. I really wouldn't worry at all. 

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 10:12:59 PM »
Yes other owners thinks shes a happy soul and she is always being fussed and we have a laugh and I say Im buying her knickers.I am usually quite okay but I think some people dont know what spoilt is.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline angie68

• connie
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 01:49:23 AM »
Connie has always done this and i think she always will.  We can go into the field and meet people with dogs and she greets them all like this and five minutes later we meet them again and she greets them like this again and this could go on like this all day meeting & greeting Connie style.  :005:
We often get strange comments from people but just laugh it off as we know she is friendly and very gentle and just wants to say hello in her own special way.  :luv:
Angie & Connie

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 06:38:08 AM »
Me too!!!
Smartie has always doen this, when meeting people or other dogs. I used to think it was because she was so scared, but reading on here, it's not necessarily so!
It's a standing joke outside DD primary now, she will roll over for everyone, and they all think they have taught her the command "drop and roll" :005: Haven't got the heart to say otherwise!!!! :005:

Offline black taz

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 01:05:29 PM »
Taz does this frequently.  We went to obedience class on Monday night, and hadnt been for about 4 weeks.  he went around each dog in turn, rolled on his back and let them sniff/lick his bits.  I just call him a tart and smile - he's not hurting anyone :luv:  I think it is quite endearing.

Offline Pip895

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 05:28:40 PM »
Saffi is another one who spends a great deal of time bearing all – sometimes to other dogs but more often to their owners. :005: 
My daughters school had a pet day. During the pet parade the dogs were lead round a circle of seated children - Saffi practically had to be dragged round on her back  ph34r– she was quite determined that they should all have the pleasure of tickling her tummy.  :005:
In the winter in wet weather I used to dread meeting people – she was quite prone to jumping up – I would shout DOWN - to which she would promptly lie straight on her back usually it seemed in the middle of some muddy puddle. >:(
I don’t think it has anything to do with being spoilt – more about being desperate to please :luv:.

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 07:22:37 PM »
Another tummy flasher here. Bonnie Boo very often will roll onto her back when meeting other dogs or people. I never gave it a thought really ,better that than aggressive
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Alfiethecocker

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »
Another one here,  :005: i seem to think its sweet  :luv: i wouldnt worry about it  :D