Author Topic: 2 dogs running off  (Read 627 times)

Offline puppy love

2 dogs running off
« on: December 08, 2011, 01:11:12 PM »
I think I have a serious problem that I really need to rectify. I have Indie who is 4 and Saffie who is 2. On their own whilst out, they are excellent, responsive and well behaved. But, I have never been able to walk them off lead together, it just takes one look from either of them and they are off, running at full speed and everything is on their terms. I have lost them for 2 hours at a time and just gone home and then they turn up together. We live in the country so no main roads, just miles of fields around us. I walk them 1 on the lead and then 1 off but just recently, my oh wants to crack this and we have started to let them both off again. They are ok some of the time. I have read absolutely every thread on here about recall so I know that I need to stop them before they get that look. They don't seem to be food orientated and they don't want to play with a ball. I can't find anything that they absolutely love to distract them. I really can't. I have tried Saffie on the long line but she knows it's on there and it alters her behaviour. Can anybody help with a way forward. if you say separate training, well I can't fault them on their own! I think this issue will always be there.
Mims Saffs & Ins xxx

Offline Sarah/G

• Donator
Re: 2 dogs running off
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »
Maybe work on the one who has the strongest recall, If you can get one back, then the other will too.
React in the little window of time where you can see they are thinking about doing a runner, and recall then.
If you can crack it ofcourse, recall the stronger one, really fuss and treat this one whilst recalling the other one ?
Hope you manage to sort your situation, you have maybe already tried this though.
sarah.
Sarah & Brodie.

www.whatthewoof.co.uk       "Now live"

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: 2 dogs running off
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »
I would start doing training walks with both of them - individually first and then together. Training walks help improving the bond, their responsiveness and help decrease the distance they range in. This is what my training walks look like:

1/4 of the walk playing with you! Play ball, tuggie, hide and seek etc.  - interacting with you!
1/4 of the walk training! Obedience, tracking, searching etc. - some of this will overlap with play!
1/4 of the walk settling down! Dogs need to learn to switch off when necessary, just sitting down and doing nothing for a few minutes during each walk helps with that and helps refocus them!
1/4 of the walk doing doggie things! Doing whatever they like (whithing reason of course  :005:)

You don't have to do these things in blocks as such, it should just roughly work out that you spend at least half of your walk interacting with your dogs (playing and training), some of it resting and some of it the dog can do doggie things. You will find that over time, they will pay more attention to you, will be more responsive and will feel less of a need to run off.  ;)
I would make EVERY walk a training walk until their behaviour has improved to a level you are happy with, and then add them just as and when you think they need a bit of a top up.  :D
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk