Author Topic: "clomicalm" - For Separation Anxiety  (Read 2760 times)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
"clomicalm" - For Separation Anxiety
« on: March 29, 2005, 12:41:50 PM »
Hiya!

I was at the vet on Saturday with Sophie for her final booster jag - all over for another year!!  :D

Whilst there I spoke again to the vet about the ongoing problems we are having in calming Sophie down whilst we are not in the house.  

I have tried a lot of the methods that COL users & the vet have previously recommended and been on the web reading up furiously on Separation Anxiety to the point where I feel I am an expert myself!

The vet recommended "Clomicalm" for a period until we can get her settled into a routine without her being so stressed everytime I leave the building!

It is very similar to Prozac for humans and in no way remedies Separation Anxiety, but allows the dog to be calm enough whilst you are working on a behavioural program with them.

Does anyone have any experience of using this as prescribed by their vet?  

Sophie does not seem to be getting any better with just the training alone, and I am considering using these tabs starting at the end of this week as I am off for 2 weeks from Friday and it would give me time to do some training without her getting so worked up!  :(

Thanks again guys!  :)
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 01:40:16 PM »
We used this for about a 4 month period for Libby to try and settle her in exactly the same circumstances. The first week or so it made her very 'drained' and lacking in energy, unfortunately it didn't help Libby at all. We stopped using it in the end. However, don't give up hope, it can work wonders for many dogs, it just didn't for ours. Good luck with it though, keeping fingers crossed for you.

Stu.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 01:45:59 PM »
Don't know about that one but a friend sent me this link:

Bioforce

It seems the RSPCA are looking for a more natural remedy for SA.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 01:52:57 PM »
I wonder if these are similar to Bach Rescue Remedies then?  :huh:

Sound similar - but the doseage of 7 drops 3 times a day - good grief, if I gave that amount of Bach to my cat I would have to scrape her off the ceiling!!  One or two drops and she is totally spaced out!  :P

I don't think it would have much effect on Sophie however!!  Have tried Bach with her, but not tried these yet!

As I said, the Clomicalm is a very short term help as it is a drug after all, and I think has only been tested for periods of no longer than 12 weeks (that was the length on the report that I read anyway

http://www.clomicalm.novartis.us/product_l.../en/index.shtml

I will keep a note of Bioforce details though in case I need something for after I used Clomicalm - if I decide that is what I want to do. ;)

Aileen & Beau xx

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 02:03:30 PM »
That sounds about right, we probably did try it for 3 months then an extra month as advised by the vet. I have spoke to other people who did have success with Clomicalm.
We didn't try any alternatives, but the non drug based products are always worth a try

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 04:19:01 PM »
Well, I have phoned the vet and Sophie will be getting her dose of "Prozac for dogs" from tomorrow!

I will be getting a 30 day supply from tomorrow night as it can take anything from 2-4 weeks to take effect according to their website   :o

As I am off from Friday for 2 weeks, I thought it would be best to start asap then she could be calming down in time for my return to work........that's the theory anyway!!  :P
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 11:04:22 PM »
Hi!

Just thought I would add that when I got home tonight, Sophie calmed down within 5 mins of me arriving (the ignoring her on my return must be paying off!) and it was not the usual 2 hr hyperventilating session that has been happening in the the past weeks!  :P

Paul said that she was barking when he got home at both 12pm & 3pm - but it is her first day back in the crate with us back out at school for a few days so I expected that  ;)

She is shattered tonight though - and has slept most of the evening, she is just having a nosey just now cos I am eating toast!  :P  

So, hopefully the doggy Prozac will help get us over the final hurdle on the road to calmdom!!  :rolleyes:
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 07:42:44 PM »
Hi,
I would say that my dog Penny has separation anxiety. We couldn't get passed the beginners obedience class because she couldn't do sit and stay, even when I was just a step away from her.

She was always good and quiet if left at home, but if she came with me in the car she would go into panic mode as soon as I tried to get out of the car (even if someone else was in the car)

I increased the amount of iron and iodine (kelp) she was having in her diet and made infusions of Vervain and Valerian which are great herbs for nervousness. She has improved.

Good luck with the medication, hope she improves.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 08:59:45 PM »
Hi Karen,

I know how you feel!  We are getting there slowly but surely with Sophie's training - and I can manage to get a few steps further as each couple of days go by.  I make her sit, stay for everything now!!  Dinner, treats lead on, lead off etc etc!!  ;)  She makes me laugh when she sits as she just looks so keen to please and she can't get her bum on the floor quick enough!  :D

I finish work tomorrow for 2 weeks, and I am going to get stuck in with the training.

Sophie started on the doggie Prozac (!!) last night, and had diahorrea today  :(  but it is listed as one of the side effects so I am hoping that will only last for a day or so.  Paul accidentally left her out of her crate when he went out with his friends to play this afternoon.  Although Sophie could see him out of the window, she still managed to leave a poo trail all around my living room and on the chairs where she had been jumping about!  :angry:   And that was despite Paul taking her out only 10 mins before hand!  Poor soul!

I have been given the number of the pet behaviouralist from the vet and I will phone her tomorrow to get a training plan for Sophie to co-incide with her medication.

At £26 per fortnight for the tablets - lets hope she gets the idea sooner rather than later!  :P

I am sure I will have letters after my name by the end of all this!  ;)
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »
Oh Dear....I hope that the doggy prozac works for Sophie.
You have tried so many things...something has to be right eventually.
Good Luck and keep us updated on her progress. :)

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 04:07:58 PM »
Have a look at this webpage.

Holistic Pet Supplies
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline JaneES

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 11:28:57 PM »
I tried Clomicalm years ago for Oliver - didnt work for him I am afraid.  I used to use the Bachs Rescue Remedy to help calm and relax him especially for the shows.  He still has seperation anxiety from me but not half as bad as he used to be in his younger days.  
Good Luck with Sophie
Jane (owned by Charlie, Frankie,Jaymae & Callum)

Offline Mollys Gang

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 02:13:12 PM »
<_<
Hi
I went to our local health food shop and found they had lots of things for animals eg i picked up a tonic for my puppy who is timid, but they had drops for dogs like yours and lots of other problems e.g. bossy dogs etc the make of the drops are Bioforce (animal Health) they have a web page all about the different things they cover, www.bioforceshop.co.uk or you could try www.bioforce.co.uk
hope it helps, it will be alot cheaper than the vets and its a herb!

Mollys Gang

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 12:50:05 PM »
Hi guys!

Just a quick update as we are now ending our 4th week of the Clomicalm......

Sophie has calmed down dramatically.   :D

She is still barking when we are out - but nowhere near as much as before, and my neighbours have confirmed that it is not a constant thing, but just if something disturbs her she will bark for a while as though she has remembered that she is in herself!  ;)

She no longer sleeps in her crate at night - no need as she sleeps in her own dog bed in my room, and just checks once or twice through the night that you are still there.  As soon as you say "go back to Sophie's bed" - she is straight back in and off to sleep.

She has even started going to bed herself!  I can be watching the tv late on at night and she will disappear into my room & curl up in her bed!  Totally unheard of and unimaginable before!  :P

It has not made her lethargic in anyway - quite the opposite, as she is more confident now she really enjoys her walks and runs about a lot more than before when she was a bit of a "lady" and far too dainty for a Cocker!  :lol:

Long may it continue.........however, I am now terrified that after she has been weaned off the Clomicalm in a few months she will revert back to how she was before!  :huh:   Or will she have the confidence by then to know that barking gets her nowhere, and we will be back each time that we leave her?

Is it a memory thing, or are the drugs doing all the work just now?  :(

Aileen & Beau xx