Author Topic: I am so worried. Where has my good boy gone?  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
Re: I am so worried. Where has my good boy gone?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »
Maureen you can buy mega long leads which i think are at least 10 metres  :shades:  it still does give them a lot of freedom to run too  :shades:
All you need to do is attach it to Luism, throw it on the ground & if he starts to wander off just put your foot on it. 
At least this way until you can get soe more advice you know he will be safe  :shades: :luv:

I can really understand how worrying it is for you  :'(  Alfie did have a stage of bogging off for a while but to lose Luis for that amount of time must have been heartstopping for you  :'(

Oh wow...that sounds possible.....I am going to try the lead idea in the immediate time...... Thank you. Xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 05:24:52 PM »
Hopefully Mark will come back with some good advice for you Maureen, but a least in the meantime, with the long line, he will be getting quite a bit of freedom. Would he not respond to a whistle?  :luv: :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 05:31:37 PM »
Oh Maureen, I can hardly think of anything more frightening.  Thank Heaven he is OK.  I agree with the long lead idea, you will feel safer using it and I hope Top Barks can help.   :luv:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline fr1day

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »
I can't imagine how frightened you must have been when he disappeared! Just wanted to say that we use a 10 metre long line for our Wallace. We've only had him for just over 1 year and we've tried everything to improve his recall but he has a REALLY high prey drive, and though he is getting better we can't trust him 100%. At first I was really bummed about having him on the lead all the time cause our other cocker is brilliant off lead and loves to run around. But with the long line Wallace does still get to have a good sniff and really enjoys his walks... Plus I have the peace of mind that nothing will happen to him (as I fully believe that if he caught the scent of something that he would bolt).

All in all just wanted to reassure you that they still get to have great walkies and be cockers on a long line!

Best of luck with Louis!

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »
I bought a 10 mtr long line for Ozzy to bring to the beach with us - just in case he decided he was a water spaniel!  I needn't have worried - he won't go near the sea, doesn't even go far from our feet, so we haven't even used it. But I think it would be ideal - at least Luis will have some freedom.  I'd keep hold of the end though - 10 mtrs isn't all that long if he decides to do a disappearing act again, and you'd still have the same problem if he was more than 10 mtrs in front of you when he took off!!!  Don't know why I didn't think of it before, it was only last week that I got ours from Amazon.

Would he not respond to a whistle?  :luv: :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx

I've been training Ozzy to the whistle just for recall.  He goes hairing across the park when he sees one of his doggy pals, and ignores me calling, but it's only taken a few days and he comes back really well to the whistle.  He does always get a treat though, so, if Luis doesn't particularly like treats I suppose that might be a problem.  Good luck with mark at Top Barks - hope he can help.

Offline Sarah/G

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
Aw Maureen how scary.
Brodie went through a phase of doing a runner, the little ....Angel.
He would be off if he caught scent of something, and especially the ladies who maybe coming into season.
I think its entire males, wanting.............. :luv:
Sarah & Brodie.

www.whatthewoof.co.uk       "Now live"

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »
These are pretty cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50ft-LONG-DOG-HORSE-TRAINING-TRACKING-LEAD-IN-VARIOUS-COLOURS-SIZE-LARGE-/230856532378?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item35c01f219a

Just ordered one from Amazon....than you. X

We have one of these also, its been really useful.

Would it be possible to motivate him with a new toy that he only has at special times? Rio was a nightmare for chasing birds when she was about a year old, would go completely deaf and run for miles - absolutely terrifing! We got her into a tennis ball, she was only allowed it for treats (used with the long line) and after a little bit of training, the ball was more exciting than the birds and she (touch wood) never ran off again. She still only has tennis balls when she's out and about and it does the trick  :D

Hope you can work something out, its so scary when they go out of sight, especially for so long.  :bigarmhug:

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »
Sorry to hear this I know you was worried when we were out with you when we came. Having the longer line will give him more freedom and I am sure Mark will be able to help.Hugs to you
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 11:00:48 PM »
I have a lot of sympathy for your situation. Barney's recall isn't good at all. Over time we have got better at managing it and he has improved a little. At one stage he was disappearing I almost every walk. Things we found helped were treating every time he came back or checked in with us of his own accord. Never getting cross with him (sometimes very hard) but if he thought we were cross with hinge would give us a very wide berth. As has been suggested, running off would often get him to follow. We also used squeaky toys but it sounds like Luis isn't interested in those. A raw chicken wing brings Barney back like a shot but it's not a very practical thing to carry   :lol2:
There ate some places Barney doesn't get to be off lead. They tend to be places he is very familiar with and where he gets over confident and perhaps bored. If we are somewhere new he sticks with us much better. He does also have a good stay which we deploy too.

Good luck. Hopefully, you can find a good trainer to work with.

Offline aqualiv

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »
My male unneutered cocker used to run off all the time and also escape from our garden regularly. Would you not considered getting him done?
Cocker Spaniels are like beer...you have one ...then another...then another...then another...!

sarahR

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »
I know what you are going through. Ozzie is fine most of the time but then she 's off after rabbits in the nearest hedge. She has started going thru one hedge and accross the field to the next hedge and completely ignores you. We have also been trying loads of things to keep her interested in us.  She is now on a long lead most of the time as the sheep have arrived back for the winter and we aren't risking letting her off. Fortunately we have a big garden so play lots of games in there to give her a good run round.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
I can entirely sympathise with you. It's awful when they disappear and even a few minutes can feel like a lifetime. I have some issues with Penny as well, as she has a really high prey drive, and while her running off chasing birds etc is not quite so bad where I can see or hear her, we have really thick pine forest on some of our walks and I just can't take the risk. I try to make sure at least one of our walks is in a safe place that I can let her off freely, so that if we walk through forestry land, I keep her on the extending lead. I've not found a long line that useful in thick cover because it gets tangled up, but the extending lead is a fair compromise.

I don't know whether it would work with Louis, but I keep Penny quite hungry in the day time. It has made her much more food orientated, where she used to be indifferent to treats unless they were really high value such as sausage. It also stopped her leaving half or all of her meals as she used to do. I cut down the amount of food I was giving her over a few days, even though she's very slim and it went against all my instincts, and eventually it got to the point where she woofed down her meals and din't leave anything. Now she's in the habit of eating properly and is maintaining her weight again, and will pretty much work for any titbit, even kibble.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline AnnetteP

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »
Hi Lily Freya

I would say you need to go back to basics and walk trouble on his own for a while and practice recall on a long lead (not the retractable ones - a training one) and to be honest training is a two way thing, so going to a good training class with other dogs and a good trainer could work wonders for both of you.  Good luck