Author Topic: I am so worried. Where has my good boy gone?  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
Re: I am so worried. Where has my good boy gone?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
So sorry to hear Luis went missing Maureen, I bet you were past yourselves   :o

Lottie gets "deaf" when she smells rabbits  >:D and there are places we walk where she has run onto the railway track after them :016: needless to say I always have her on the lead when we pass there now.
She normally responds to a whistle but when she gets the urge nothing would bring her back ph34r

I hope Mark can help or point you in the right direction at least, glad to hear Ollie and Gracie are being good  :angel:

give the 3 of them a squidge from me  :luv:
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
Hi Lily Freya

I would say you need to go back to basics and walk trouble on his own for a while and practice recall on a long lead (not the retractable ones - a training one) and to be honest training is a two way thing, so going to a good training class with other dogs and a good trainer could work wonders for both of you.  Good luck

Absolutely agree.......this is great advice.

Went out with Luis today......and OH walked the others.  It seemed to work. Xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »
Glad you have seen some improvement already Maureen.

He probably just needs a little reminder! I'm sure you will be able to get there together.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline jujuli

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 08:00:55 PM »
I have recently posted about a very similar problem to yours.  When we got a new pup (not a cocker, a Vizsla) Charlie kept running off.  It was very scary and very out of character.  He just stopped listening and got really hyped up, he wasnt bothered with any of his treats.  For a while I walked them separately and spent some time doing some less exciting walks with him in areas I know he doesnt get so distracted, I have an overflow campsite field me which the owner gives us permission to use in the winter.  This gave Charlie a chance to calm down, spend some time with me, so I could go back to basics with recall using the pups very long line.  This really helped and I started to walk them together again. However, Charlie then started barking at me a lot on our walks and constantly which only stopped when I put him on the long line, each time starting again when I took it off, so he is walking at the moment quite happily on the very long line, usually trailing and if I am near areas I know he could run off I can pick it up.  But for some reason it has really relaxed him.  Its very hard to understand sometimes... I hope you can work something out with yours soon. I am sure you will be able to enjoy your walks again soon.

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 07:26:34 AM »
Thank you so much for all your help and advice everyone.......I have read all your tips with interest.

We are going to talk with a recommended trainer, who lives nearby.....but we have also heard from Mark, so if we are not happy we have the option of visiting York.

Will let you all know how things progress........until then, it's the long training lead for our boy. Xxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »
Fortunately our two have not run away from me, but a few weeks ago I was out with them and my daughters 7 year old cocker Jess. My two kept coming back, but I couldn't see Jess anywhere, I was calling her but still no sign. Then a couple came over and said have you lost a black cocker? She has just nearly been knocked down, then suddenly another dog owner appeared with her in tow and informed me she had just nearly caused an accident.

She has NEVER done that before and is normally always around my feet, so it just goes to show you never know what they are going to do.

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 07:55:46 AM »
Fortunately our two have not run away from me, but a few weeks ago I was out with them and my daughters 7 year old cocker Jess. My two kept coming back, but I couldn't see Jess anywhere, I was calling her but still no sign. Then a couple came over and said have you lost a black cocker? She has just nearly been knocked down, then suddenly another dog owner appeared with her in tow and informed me she had just nearly caused an accident.

She has NEVER done that before and is normally always around my feet, so it just goes to show you never know what they are going to do.

This is my problem exactly John.  I have never really had him back to heel....but never an uncomfortable distance away either.  The problem has just started to get a bit worse......and we lost him, as you know, for 40 minutes.

The long lead has arrived, and we have been trying controlled recall.  Still a bit hit and miss......but we will have to persevere, as the consequences are not even a consideration, hey?

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2012, 08:07:19 AM »
I hope you can see an improvement soon, Maureen.  They are such a worry when their behaviour changes like this  :huh:
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2012, 08:08:58 AM »
I hope you can see an improvement soon, Maureen.  They are such a worry when their behaviour changes like this  :huh:

Thanks Wendy.  Luckily, Gracie and Ollie and governed by their 'bellies'.....so at least two come back for treats.  :005:

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »

Hi Maureen

Just picked this post up today, sorry for the late response :buttkick:

Don't think we met Luis at the last meeting at Marsden but I'm very sorry to hear your having problems :'( I know if Miya was missing for forty minutes I'd be passed myself :012:
If the trust is gone where your not sure he's going to return to you, then for your own Peace of mind it has to be the extended lead and gradually build up your confidence again :cool4:
Perhaps testing his return off lead in safe areas to start with and if he's not motivated by treats try throwing his favourite toy in the direction you want him to be :happydance:

I'm sure you've already tried what I'm suggesting, but I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Hope you see some improvement soon.

Mel.

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 12:14:41 PM »

Hi Maureen

Just picked this post up today, sorry for the late response :buttkick:

Don't think we met Luis at the last meeting at Marsden but I'm very sorry to hear your having problems :'( I know if Miya was missing for forty minutes I'd be passed myself :012:
If the trust is gone where your not sure he's going to return to you, then for your own Peace of mind it has to be the extended lead and gradually build up your confidence again :cool4:
Perhaps testing his return off lead in safe areas to start with and if he's not motivated by treats try throwing his favourite toy in the direction you want him to be :happydance:

I'm sure you've already tried what I'm suggesting, but I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Hope you see some improvement soon.

Mel.

Thanks so much Mel.  I am honestly open to all ideas.

You are right, though, about giving him freedom where we can, and in safe areas.

We have a big open meadow down the lane from our house, and we let him run free there.  He is never out of sight....and strangely comes back or follows our direction.  Our problems have been on the moors.....he just suddenly shoots off, and we have no idea why.

Sadly, he has never been motivated by treats or toys.  Ollie will turn inside out for either....and Gracie is proving to be similar....but Luis...NO.

Hopefully, we'll get him sorted.  But, thank you so much for taking time to share ideas.  I love this forum....I always learn something. Xxx

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »
If he is motivated by scents then perhaps do some more traditional type training with him? Millie loves chasing and searching so I do this with her to keep her interested. I can't let millie off lead in most places unless it's structured 'training' or she runs off.

Millie