Author Topic: My spaniel is driving me mad....  (Read 5862 times)

Offline JulieM

Re: My spaniel is driving me mad....
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time  :bigarmhug:

I think Ruby Tuesday's idea is a good one. A simple thing we do is instead of feeding Florence her kibble in her bowl I scatter it in the garden, then she has to run around sniffing to find it. It takes her about 5-10 minutes to do this (and only takes me about 30 seconds to throw!) I think it gives her good nose work and gets her working a little bit. I have a little one too so tend to do this whilst my daughter's having her breakfast, then she's out of the house and not begging for food off us.

Hope things improve for you all soon.  :D

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 08:14:01 PM »

I think, realistically, you need to make the time for your dog.  I totally understand that it is hard juggling the needs of children and dogs - I have a 2 young children and a 5yr old dog (who has always been rather on the complex side as far as training needs go!).
But, at the end of the day, all responsibilities were acquired by our choice, so it's up to me/us to ensure all get their needs met.  Yes, training has diminished over the past 7 months, but we do not do child activities unless there is a plan in place to meet the needs of the dog.  This means we don't join morning groups, so we can walk the dog, before going out to child activities in the afternoon.  If weather is poor, we simply put on waterproofs... If it is horrendous, or a child is too ill, I ensure the dog gets 30mins training throughout the day.  It can be very difficult, and I really *should* do more, but it really does help. 

We have ensured that Honey has a reasonably solid "leave it" command, so food held by my toddler is generally safe, but she will steal any food left lying around... so it's down to me to make sure she doesn't get the opportunity (and, in time, my children, to learn not to put food down if they want it back!!!!).  She can be very whiny when she is excited, and getting myself, 2 children and a dog ready for a walk does tend to result in very annoying whining... but generally a couple of simple commands "Sit" "down" etc, with rewards, resets her mute button for a while!!!  Fortunately she's not particularly whiney in the car - we spent a long time when she was a pup handfeeding her in the car - but she has adapted very well to changing from travelling on a passenger seat (with dog seat-belt) to crate in the boot - so a change of travelling position may help - it's worth giving it a try.

At 3.5, your toddler is old enough to be involved in some basic training (even just passing you treats at first), which can make it easier to find the time for some fun short-bursts of training, and will help to integrate your dog into your family dynamic.

I hope you don't think I am being too harsh in what I am saying - I really do understand how hard it can be to continue to make adaquate time for a dog, but I really think if you are able to, you (and he) will be much happier - and it will model proper responsible pet ownership for your son.  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 04:52:31 PM »
sorry to hear you having a tough time, i know how hard Jethro can be at times & i dont have any children to deal with (dont think a child-like husband counts  :005:). On top of the other good advice given do you have any friends with kids or dogs or both that you could meet up with in the day to go for a walk together or a play date? (leaf kicking for dog & kids would be great at this time of year) just wondered if it would give you a bit of a breather. would maybe wear both's energies down? depending where you based there maybe a COLer that might be able to help you. Think getting you child involved in basic training is a great idea, would be like a game for both.

The phase never work with kids or animals is right there hard work! Would timetabling play/training sessions help?

Keep smiling I'm sure it will get better & COL's here as a outlet.  :bigarmhug:
Run Free my little Laddie xxx