Author Topic: Rant about other peoples dogs!!!  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Pip C

• Zac
Rant about other peoples dogs!!!
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:26:41 AM »
Thanks to an irresponsible person on the beach this morning, we had a stressful walk. >:(

We were having a lovely time running around, playing, practising walking 'with me', until from about 100m a black lab came running towards us.  The owner was running and in a world of her own.  The dog didn't attack Zac but it was very domineering and overpowered him more than I would have liked.  Zac wasn't playing with him, he was playing with Zac. >:(

I took hold of Zacs line (he usually runs with it on so I can grab it if necessary) and tried to walk away but the dog was relentless ignoring the womans calls.  Eventually he responded to her and we carried on with our walk.  Well on the way back I could see her  in the distance again, but thought that we would be back at the car before we got near them.  Well the dog saw Zac again and came charging over.  No growls or anything but the dog was leering over Zac who was squriming in the sand.  He didn't seem overly distressed but I'm not 100% sure, however I was getting distressed!  I know he needs to experience dogs like this, but I usually let them last for short periods to start with but I had no choice as the dog was again not responding to woman.  When the woman reached us she casually said sorry its not my dog and walked off with headphones in ignoring my sharp words! >:( >:( >:(

I am fuming as it ruined our walk and now I am concerned that this woman and dog will be on the beach every morning, and we do love our walks on the beach.

What would you all do in this situation?  I didn't know whether to pick Zac up or try and get the dog off him, so I'm afraid that I stood feeling helpless. :'( :'( :'(

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: Rant about other peoples dogs!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »
Hi Pip, I share your frustration its so bloddy annoying when this happens. My pups not perfect and the odd time she has run off to join another dog I have ran after her (not easy at my age) and put her on a lead and apologised to the other dog owner. Its just bad manners to ignore this behaviour.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Deblk

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:40:05 AM »
Indeed very upsetting and annoying. I think in this situation it is all about ignoring the other dog and to carry on with your walk to the best of your ability. I do suggest though not to show fear or anger as your baby picks up on this and will react accordingly. Also not a good idea to pick Zac up as that can also lead to showing fear and also will encourage the other dog to maybe jump up at you. I totally understand though and would want to do everything in my power to protect my baby but sometimes you have to let them get on with it. Of course a different matter if the other dog is attacking then that is really when you need a stick which I have to say is always a good thing to have with you anyway. Be brave and try and act as if everything is normal :)
Catch you later :)

Offline Lovely

Rant about other people's dogs
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »
It is sooo annoying. Don't pick your dog up as it will encourage other dog and not help your dog's confidence. You really do just have to try and ignore the other dog, not easy. If she's there again i'd have strong words. I've got myself a shillelagh for aggressive dogs, muggers, random nutters. I'll argue with the police after i've pummelled the attacker into the ground x
Ali

Offline Pip C

• Zac
Re: Rant about other people's dogs
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »
It is sooo annoying. Don't pick your dog up as it will encourage other dog and not help your dog's confidence. You really do just have to try and ignore the other dog, not easy. If she's there again i'd have strong words. I've got myself a shillelagh for aggressive dogs, muggers, random nutters. I'll argue with the police after i've pummelled the attacker into the ground x

What is a shillelagh??? :D

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
Indeed very upsetting and annoying. I think in this situation it is all about ignoring the other dog and to carry on with your walk to the best of your ability. I do suggest though not to show fear or anger as your baby picks up on this and will react accordingly. Also not a good idea to pick Zac up as that can also lead to showing fear and also will encourage the other dog to maybe jump up at you. I totally understand though and would want to do everything in my power to protect my baby but sometimes you have to let them get on with it. Of course a different matter if the other dog is attacking then that is really when you need a stick which I have to say is always a good thing to have with you anyway. Be brave and try and act as if everything is normal :)

A stick sounds good to me! :D

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »

A heavy piece of blackthorn stick with a large heavy end.

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:08 AM »

A heavy piece of blackthorn stick with a large heavy end.

Sounds like a good piece of kit to carry.  Is it ok to use it on irresppnsible dog owners too  :005:

Offline scotsclyde

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
I've got myself a shillelagh for aggressive dogs, muggers, random nutters. I'll argue with the police after i've pummelled the attacker into the ground

I can see using such violence on an aggressive dog but an over bouncy dog?

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »
I've got myself a shillelagh for aggressive dogs, muggers, random nutters. I'll argue with the police after i've pummelled the attacker into the ground

I can see using such violence on an aggressive dog but an over bouncy dog?

I'm sure the idea is only meant for aggressive dogs, but i can see it being useful to deter dogs and possibly use to put  barrier between pups and an overly enthusiastic dog.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
I had this happen to us...After putting Charlie on his lead and walking way, the woman did come over and move her dog OFF my dog (after me almost dragging the dog away) - she said "he's not mine, he's my relatives hahaha" I could have slapped her in the face, I don't care who's dog it was, I just wanted it off Charlie (he was unhappy AND being bitten).

I'd be tempted to pick Zac up and walk in the other direction; at least then she might get 'some' hint!
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
I do carry a thumb stick Its great to use as a division, most dogs are a little wary of a long stick, I have never raised it or hit a dog but I would if there were real signs of aggresion

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
How would I know if zac was really unhappy with the situation?  Might sound like a stupid question but would he start whining or something.  Not sure what a pup does when its being overdominated. :huh:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
How would I know if zac was really unhappy with the situation?  Might sound like a stupid question but would he start whining or something.  Not sure what a pup does when its being overdominated. :huh:

Riley is a really playful pup (just turned 1)  he is very social and wants to play with everyone, He isnt overpowering or rude though, he waits to see if the other dog wants to play and if it doesnt he goes away.
He plays with a 8 month old bearded collie (huge) and very bouncy, a couple of times Riley has sort of backed away and looked over at me, its then I know he isnt happy.
You will know with Zac,s body language if he isnt happy.

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »
I think if the other dog had actually let him play he would have been ok instead of just overpowering him. >:(