Author Topic: Anyone else got a non barking cocker ??  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Striker4912

Anyone else got a non barking cocker ??
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:38:47 AM »
We have had striker since last September and I think I have only heard him bark twice. Once was at my partner when he came home from work coz he had his hood up and the other time at my partners grandad coz he just didn't like the look of him. He will greet strangers as if he has known them his whole life waiting for a stroke. Is this normal cocker behavior . I'm not complaining its great that he's not a barker.

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
Re: Anyone else got a non barking cocker ??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
I wish  ;) :shades:
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:59:24 AM »

You took the words right out of my mouth :005:

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »

You took the words right out of my mouth :005:

Me too.  Pippa barks when excited, impatient, cross, worried, playing, hungry, wanting attention, telling Barney off, people knock at the door or walk past the back window etc etc etc.  I thought it was a cocker trait because Barney, who's a basset fauve, only barks to warn people away from the house. 

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:15:45 AM »
Another noisy one here - I would love Coco to be quiet but at 7 I recognise that is not to be.  :-\  Whenever we go to any doggy events, she is always the noisiest one there  >:(  I do think generally that show type cockers are quite a vocal breed so, yes, you are probably in a minority ;)  Think yourself lucky though, it can do your head in when they will not shut up  >:( :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline dawn

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 08:30:36 AM »
Before Henry was two he hardly ever barked! Ever. In fact I wasn't sure what his bark sounded like.

Now at two years he sometimes barks at the postman, if a car parks outside the house, or if something spooks him. Maybe once or twice a week. He too is a confident dog and greets everyone as if they are his long lost friends.  :005:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 08:35:10 AM »
Another noisy one here - I would love Coco to be quiet but at 7 I recognise that is not to be.  :-\  Whenever we go to any doggy events, she is always the noisiest one there  >:(  I do think generally that show type cockers are quite a vocal breed so, yes, you are probably in a minority ;)  Think yourself lucky though, it can do your head in when they will not shut up  >:( :005:

I'm sure Jasper has got worse with age, he's 8 and persists in barking in the garden - fancy a swap!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 08:37:50 AM »
Maisie barked barely ever until she was well over two years old...late developer!

At three years old she now does the occasional 'oof'  when the post hits the floor or if she sees something through the window that's unfamiar but that's it really. Oh and no, she's not that keen on policemen's hats  :huh: She never barks for food, balls, toys, all the things they often do bark for.

She's just a quiet, very calm little girl. She's def not your tear round the garden kind of cocker. Not cockerlike at all really! Shes happy, contented and loves cuddles tho! We've come to accept that's how she is.

Offline katie94

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »
Well, our neighbour has nicknamed Rufus "Ronnie" ..........luckily they have a dog so are very understanding :005:

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »
Penny doesnt bark alot, a lot of my friends have never heard her bar,k he barks at dogs on the television and gets mixed up and barks at tigers. got She makes a little bark if we have somethong nice to eat ,she is so quiet she doesnt talk either I rather miss that as Jenny was a proper chatterbox and Lois is always  barking and wooing She doesnt do early morningd=s either sorry if off post.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »
Another noisy one here. And she has also started Ruby, who rarely barked, howling at the postman, at dogs on TV etc etc  :005:

Gotta love em tho!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 09:35:46 AM »
Jazz didn't bark ever....................till Bailey arrived >:D >:D >:D

She is now nearly 21 mnths and Bailey is nearly 10mnths.  Bailey will bark at anything and everything and now she sets Jazz off.

Enjoy your peace it may not last forever :005: :005: :005: :005:
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »
Gemma rarely woofs.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »
working cockers shouldn't  :shades:  it's considered a bad trait - you don't want barking dogs on a shoot.  I would think a majority of the noisy ones on here are show cockers?

Jarv only barks when someone comes to the door and sometimes when he's trying to make Rodaidh play  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »
working cockers shouldn't  :shades:  it's considered a bad trait - you don't want barking dogs on a shoot.  I would think a majority of the noisy ones on here are show cockers?

Jarv only barks when someone comes to the door and sometimes when he's trying to make Rodaidh play  :lol2:
One of the reasons Nerys failed as a gundog  :005: