Author Topic: Orijen puppy food  (Read 5889 times)

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
Re: Orijen puppy food
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
Hummm, slightly disquieting when it's supposed to be one of the best dog kibbles out there. I wonder if they've made similar mistakes with their Acana range of foods as well. Think I'll get in touch with them to check.

Going by the new guide I may well have been overfeeding both Chaz and Milly as puppies but they're just about the right weight for their size now and they were both weighed at the vets a few weeks ago.

I've an order in for two 13kilo bags at the moment, one of Orijen and one of Acana but they're both for the adult version which doesn't seem to be mentioned in the revised guide. I'll check the feeding guide printed on them when they arrive.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Don't think it detracts from the quality of the product but it's not the sort of mistake that should have been made by an award winning company.

Bob.

Offline dantheman

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 07:01:20 AM »
Exactly Bob!
I, as a new to dogs guy, have found it very difficult to work out and Woody has had various amounts of food over the last few days and now is loose, thanks very much Orijen!

Thanks to bern foods, Karen, their food nutritionist, finally sorted it all out!
Woody is now on 150g a day see how he goes, should really be only on 120g, but after his 2 days of over 200g didn't seem fair :)

Offline dantheman

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »
I'm LOST!
Contacted Orijen in Canada and they have gone on Woodies weight and age etc he should be on 150g per day, NOT 120g that the UK guys say :(

Even on 160g he still seems hungry! hoping puppies can have John West tuna in spring water as he has just downed 2 cans of it, in as many minutes.

Just wormed him too with Milbemax chews cos I'm now thinking he is either really really greedy or got worms.

How do I spot worms?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 08:21:31 PM »
I'm LOST!
Contacted Orijen in Canada and they have gone on Woodies weight and age etc he should be on 150g per day, NOT 120g that the UK guys say :(

Even on 160g he still seems hungry! hoping puppies can have John West tuna in spring water as he has just downed 2 cans of it, in as many minutes.

Just wormed him too with Milbemax chews cos I'm now thinking he is either really really greedy or got worms.

How do I spot worms?

The link below may help you - not sure it will tell you everything - but it will be a start.

http://www.pethealthinfo.org.uk/dogs/health_worms.html
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline dantheman

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 07:56:27 AM »
no worms, he's plain greedy!

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 04:03:59 PM »
To be sure about worms you could get a poo sample checked for worms, including lungworm if you wish, without having to go via your vet.

Wormcount.com was mentioned on the forum earlier in the year and several members, ourselves included, sent samples away for testing.

We had the results e-mailed to us within a few days and find it really helpful to keep an accurate check on the efficiency of our worming procedures.

Bob.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 04:21:43 PM »
To help you further if you need it, you will find it under 'Wormcount' dated 17th October in the Health section.

Sounds like a really useful service  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 09:33:33 PM »
We had our second Wormcount kits delivered last week (£15 for both worm egg count and lungworm kits), collected all the samples and posted them back.

The results were e-mailed to us today and both Chaz and Milly are completely clear of both faecal worm eggs and lungworm larvae  :D.

We'll be repeating the test every six months as £15 per dog is a small price to pay for peace of mind and knowing your worming treatment, Advocate in our case, is doing its job.

Bob.