Author Topic: Suggestion(s) for things to chew  (Read 1515 times)

Offline VeeBee

Suggestion(s) for things to chew
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:28:51 AM »
What do you give your dog to chew?

I am in need of suggestions or ideas of things I can give Margot to chew.
She loves stag bars, however she has had one or two recently that were worn down within a few days.
I am reluctant to give rawhide chews, as I am unsure of their quality and origins.
Dentastix go though her like a dose of salts.
Burns deer ears are a Sunday afternoon treat.
I feel uncertain at giving nylabones, why would I want to give something made of plastic to my dog to chew.
Is there any thing else that I could give Margot to satisfy her natural instinct to chew.
Thank you in advance.

Hope I have posted in the right place. x

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Suggestion(s) for things to chew
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 07:50:55 AM »
Cow hooves are great. Last ages and cheap. I get the 'unstuffed' ones.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:59:25 AM »
I buy cow ears and rabbit ears online from Zooplus. I won't give them pig's ears as they're very rich and would probably go straight through William. Chicken feet are another favourite, but not so easily sourced.

Louis likes rawhide chews and is a very careful chewer, so is allowed one under supervision if he's having a nervous day, bless him. The only ones I buy are from Farm Food http://www.farmfood.co.uk/dogfood/premium-quality/farm-food-rawhide/premium-quality-rawhide-dogchews.html because they are genuine cow hide and not some unknown dodgy far east imports.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »
Pizzle!
Goes down a treat with our Ellie

Offline black taz

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
cows hooves fan here ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »
This company had a stand at Paws in the Park last month and I bought the beef super chews and beef jerky, both of which have gone down well and the super chews lasted longer than most chews I give them. Ro and Caoimhe demolish most chews in a matter of minutes but those lasted for a good few hours which is almost unheard of, I'll definitely order more when we run out:

http://www.barfpetfoods.co.uk/dog-treats/chews.html

I also order ostrich tendons, duck and turkey necks and venison ears, sinews and trachea from Zooplus as Tilly can also have these occasionally but they don't tend to last all that long. They get the occasional pizzle and 'normal' rawhide as well but again they don't last too long.

They love buffalo trachea which are about a foot long. They're quite rich so they only get them occasionally but they last for a good hour or so. They're hard to get hold of though, I had to order the last lot from the US.

Rodaidh has a couple of Nylabones which he absolutely loves; Tilly and Caoimhe would never look at them but Ro has always been a proper chewer, as in he likes to chew for its own sake rather than just on something edible, and even now at 6 years old he'll very often lie there having a good old go at one of the Nylabones. Because he can grip them between his paws and they're really hard he can really go for it and it seems to satisfy him more than edible chews - he also chews them to calm himself down if he gets wound up.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 05:50:24 PM »
Can thoroughly recommend pizzles too. I get mine from here, very good quality - each one lasts the dogs about an hour, sometimes the girls don't finish them. I get a kilo at a time from here:

http://www.natural-treats.co.uk/pet_treats_wholesale_2.html#
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 06:11:18 PM »
sofaz, cooshuns, shooze, bootz, undyware, bookz, magyzeens, carpit, doormatz....
I haz lotz more but I can heer Mummee commin.
Luv Archie. x

P.S. If mummee iz watchin den i lyke pizzle and hoofs and a big joocie raw bowne best of all.  ;)

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »
sofaz, cooshuns, shooze, bootz, undyware, bookz, magyzeens, carpit, doormatz....
Luv Archie. x

P.S. If mummee iz watchin den i lyke pizzle and hoofs and a big joocie raw bowne best of all.  ;)

:005:  :005:

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 08:06:12 AM »
Luv Archie. x

Haz yoo bin at my howse Archee??

:rofl1:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
Don't wish to alarm anyone, but one of the vets down our way have taken stagbars off their shelves as they have had a number of dogs come in with broken teeth through chewing on them. I don't know how many or the circumstances, but thought I would pass it on as a precaution.

I admit I did have one for Minstrel, but have taken it away, not so good for puppy teeth me thinks.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline lottiescat

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »
Mine love stag bars and natural root chews, both are expensive but last a while.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
We've been trying a slightly softer alternative to stag bars, Fallow deer antler chews that we found in a local garden shop. Milly and Chaz both love them as they can get a good grip with their paws and, although they seem slightly softer than stag bars, they still last several days before they get too small and need to be binned.

They're known as Farmfood Antlers and have a website, www.farmfood.com

Bob.

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 09:54:38 PM »
Stag bars and cows ears here  :D

Abbie & Reggie

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 07:37:24 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Nicola.  I've just ordered some of the beef super chews and some dried sprats which will be great torn up for training treats.