Author Topic: adopting a rescue cocker spaniel from Hungary  (Read 5526 times)

Offline margaret48

• Site Member
  • LEO
Re: adopting a rescue cocker spaniel from Hungary
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »
Dogstar looks fantastic, I have a friend who lives in Sri Lanka, she owns a B & B and restaurant over there.  She is very dog friendly and has a few dogs herself, I must tell her about the foundation, you never know she might do a bit of volunteering.

Offline ruby n millies mum

• ruby and millies mum
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2013, 08:17:39 PM »
hes a beautiful dog ,

please be careful buying any animal from abroad, i work for my local police  force and we see many cases of fraud were the offenders will advertise animals for sale or in need of a home from abroad and once you are hooked they will tell you a tale that the animal is either stuck at customs or become ill in transit. i dealt with one and a woman paid out her life savings to help a cat, she lost thousands !!

same as buying animals in this country do your research.............good luck

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2013, 09:27:46 PM »
Whatever the pros and cons of adopting from abroad, this just proves that your heart is certainly in the right place  :clapping:.

Hope everything works out well and that your new furry one settles in and starts to enjoy his new life.

We have both a rescue cocker and one bought as a puppy from a breeder. They're both equal members of our doggy family but I must admit to having a soft spot for Milly, our rescue  :luv:. She didn't have the best start in life but, thankfully, she's settled very well with us and I hope we've been able to make up for her previous experiences.

Bob.

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »
Well said, Bob. Anyone who gives a home to any animal in need is to be applauded. The greatest gift is the gift of love.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »
That's untrue - Good rescues offer lifetime back up and in fact have agreements that you sign saying if circumstances change the dog will go back to the rescue.

I'm not for one second saying this could happen with this dog but what happens if a dog from a foreign rescue doesn't work out for the new owners? Does it go back to the country it came from (I think not) or does it place further burden on the already full to bursting English rescues? (which is already happening)

I wish you all the best with your new arrival and hope he gets on well with your similarly aged other rescue  ;)

This is so very very true.  Not only will a good rescue offer free advice for the lifetime of the dog, including sometimes 1-to-1 training sessions, but will always take the dog back if things don't work out.  If they are full to bursting, they usually have a waiting list of dogs whose owners want to hand them over, but a dog coming back to the rescue will jump the list and go in the next available kennel.

Re rehoming from abroad, I guess a dog is a dog getting a home regardless of where it's from.  Sometimes though, I do think the money spent transporting these dogs to the UK (whose rescues are indeed full to bursting) would be better spent carrying out a massive sterilisation programme in the country of origin, or trying to educate and alter local culture with regard to it.  Just my opinion.

Best of luck with your new little one anyway, and sorry if I've gone off topic.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 08:01:35 PM »
 Sadly though now loads of dodgy rescues and people now jumping on the importation of dogs.

As has just been said money would be better spent on neutering and education programmes in the countries of origin rather than fueling this trade
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2013, 12:51:01 PM »
I have looked further than my own locality as has Margaret  ;).  What is the real difference between me adopting from the other end of this country or adopting from Ireland or Croatia?  I don't really understand what the problem is.  Why have a "racist" attitude to rehoming?  A dog is a dog, no matter what country it happens to be in.

I totally agree, a dog is a dog is a dog in need, however, the money it costs to transfer a dog from abroad to here could be spent on improving the situation in the home country of these dogs which would address the underlying issue rather than fire fight the symptoms! That's why I am more inclined to support organisations that work in those countries, like the Dogstar Foundation in Sri Lanka for example.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »
Well said, Bob. Anyone who gives a home to any animal in need is to be applauded. The greatest gift is the gift of love.

Totally agree..... I can see the pros and cons. I would have never even thought of rescuing a dog from another country... Didn't even know you could do it to be honest   ph34r

Abbie & Reggie

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »
I have looked further than my own locality as has Margaret  ;).  What is the real difference between me adopting from the other end of this country or adopting from Ireland or Croatia?  I don't really understand what the problem is.  Why have a "racist" attitude to rehoming?  A dog is a dog, no matter what country it happens to be in.

I totally agree, a dog is a dog is a dog in need, however, the money it costs to transfer a dog from abroad to here could be spent on improving the situation in the home country of these dogs which would address the underlying issue rather than fire fight the symptoms! That's why I am more inclined to support organisations that work in those countries, like the Dogstar Foundation in Sri Lanka for example.

The charity my sister is adopting through is www.actionaidforanimals.com and they do also work within Croatia to educate and fund the sterilisation of street dogs as well as looking to rehome current strays both within Croatia and abroad.  My sister wouldn't have donated £200 to the charity for nothing  but is willing to pay £200 to rehome a dog.  In actual fact, a generous guy had already donated to the charity to pay for the particular dog's vaccinations, microchip, pet passport and travel to his new home (once found) so the £200 my sister is paying will actually go to fund shelter places for other dogs and the charity's education/sterilisation programmes so it's a win-win situation.

Offline margaret48

• Site Member
  • LEO
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2013, 11:44:56 PM »
That is also the charity that is helping get Daniel over too, I think the minimum fee is £210 per dog, but I donated more because I think it is a worthwhile cause.  Which dog has your sister picked?

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2013, 04:05:13 AM »
She's adopting Rem.  He looks like a real mix, something like spaniel x dachshund x collie  :lol2:

Offline tenaille

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »
Well done to all of you that adopt, at the end of the day its dogs homed and loved whatever the circumstances.