Author Topic: Stupid Cocker owners  (Read 6485 times)

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
Re: Stupid Cocker owners
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 08:00:32 PM »
I am amazed you remained tactful!!

I take that as a compliment, I am not known for my tactfulness most times. 

Was meant as one  :D
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Mel B

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 08:38:06 PM »
When mentioning to people in passing that I was getting Florence spayed (she had op last Monday) some expressed their surprise that I was not going to have a litter with her. A couple saying specifically "think of the money"!! It's very sad and irresponsible.

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »
Especially as Pets4homes etc is full of WC litters with "lots of FTCH in their pedigree" >:D that some people won't have a clue about and then the puppies or young dogs end up back on there or in rescue due to changing commitments, allergies, needs too much exercise and so on. It is so heartbreaking  :'(

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 09:58:47 PM »
I was new to this 9 months ago when i got Tilly from a pets4homes advert. I think I was lucky in the fact that I could not ask for a more loveable dog that has the most kindest nature and lights up my day every day.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 02:32:34 AM »
I once had a huge argument with a working cocker owner re this - his comment was that she cost so much so they wanted to recoup their money. He's not spoken to me again - I guess it didn't help that at the time I had a lovely springer foster who had spent her 1st 5 years in a shed so it was very emotive for me and am afraid I didn't hold back (when usually I'm a little more tactful).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 08:03:36 AM »
I once had a huge argument with a working cocker owner re this - his comment was that she cost so much so they wanted to recoup their money. He's not spoken to me again - I guess it didn't help that at the time I had a lovely springer foster who had spent her 1st 5 years in a shed so it was very emotive for me and am afraid I didn't hold back (when usually I'm a little more tactful).

Yes because that's why people have dogs... to earn some extra cash...  >:( How stupid can people be.

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »
Well done for speaking out. Maybe it will make them reconsider once they've had time to digest your words!

I very much doubt it.

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »
Tell them to contact me, I have a 17 day old litter and so far has cost me £1470 without including the cost of food for mum.  All pups are reserved, so definitely not advertising.  This is before worming, feeding the litter, KC registering and micro chipping

Wow. Like I said, I haven't the faintest idea of what it takes to breed a litter and I am sure that couple I met yesterday haven't either. Although money should never come into it, it does for obvious reasons play a factor, but I am sure most reputable breeders do it for the love of the breed and not the wonga.

I doff my hat to all breeders (obviously the good ones)

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »
Yes, there really are no words to describe people like this - irresponsible and stupid doesn't even cut it! My Twiggy is a rescue. She was bought somewhere in Kent as a puppy, and her owners took her out to Bulgaria to use her for breeding - presumably they thought they would make plenty of money from her so that they could afford to remain there and it would give them an income!  She had one litter, and I think they all died, so they used to lock her in the house and go off for days at a time, leaving her to her own devices. They eventually stuck her into a friend's kennels and left her there! When I went to see her, she was so thin that every rib was clearly visible, had never been groomed and was in such a sad state. For all that, she is a little angel. After being spayed, I put her on a good diet and clipped away all her matted hair - she didn't even murmer.  :luv: I really have no words for stupid people who play with dogs' lives in this way. (Glad I didn't meet those people, by the way! I live further up the coast at the moment, and we go to Cresswell Beach most days while I am here).

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
Yes, there really are no words to describe people like this - irresponsible and stupid doesn't even cut it! My Twiggy is a rescue. She was bought somewhere in Kent as a puppy, and her owners took her out to Bulgaria to use her for breeding - presumably they thought they would make plenty of money from her so that they could afford to remain there and it would give them an income!  She had one litter, and I think they all died, so they used to lock her in the house and go off for days at a time, leaving her to her own devices. They eventually stuck her into a friend's kennels and left her there! When I went to see her, she was so thin that every rib was clearly visible, had never been groomed and was in such a sad state. For all that, she is a little angel. After being spayed, I put her on a good diet and clipped away all her matted hair - she didn't even murmer.  :luv: I really have no words for stupid people who play with dogs' lives in this way. (Glad I didn't meet those people, by the way! I live further up the coast at the moment, and we go to Cresswell Beach most days while I am here).

Oh we should organize a meet up at Druridge Bay, or somewhere betweenCresswell and Tynemouth
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »
I've come up against this quite a few times.  I think the best argument is to bang on and on about all the pitfalls and just how VERY expensive it can be to whelp a bitch and produce a healthy litter.  (There's a very good sticky on COL somewhere about pitfalls and costs of breeding.)  As these people are simply interested in making a quick buck, cost in vet bills etc. is the best argument to use against it.

Offline paulsutt

• My beautiful Max 22/11/99 - 18/09/13
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »
It's amazing how stupid and ignorant some people can be.

Really pees me off  >:D >:D

Offline Willowpaws

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »
Sadly we have a puppy farm next door - thankfully no cockers (mainly terriers, but a few bigger breeds)  and it makes me furious. She started with one terrier, had a litter to "make pocket money" and 2 years later they have 30+ bitches. She has a few KC reg norfolks, norwich's and a few others, and gets around the 4 litters/one per year by crossing them and selling loads of unregistered mongrels (but for pedigree prices nearly)!  The worrying thing is she "rescues" dogs (these ones in the paper that people give up because of allergies or whatever) and then adds them to her breeding group. No thought to breeds (anything free/cheap) and certainly no health testing/thought of breed standard. So sad that this still goes on and that people still buy from these places (her litters sell within a week of going on P4H and they are not cheap!!)

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »
I was only talking to someone yesterday at work, who has a friend with a labradoodle, who has bred her to have a litter of more labradoodles. Selling them for £800 each, because "she wants her to have one litter before having her spayed", although she is not keeping any. Oh, and she works full time - she is going to take a week off around the due date, but otherwise is just going to let the dam "get on with it".

Let's hope she doesn't have any problems then!

And I've lost count of the number of people who have suggested I have puppies from Lottie,  more often than not then asking me how much purebred cockers sell for. I certainly wouldn't do it while working full time - I would like to breed one day, but only when I can devote my time to it, and I've researched it fully!

And it won't be from Lottie - she is booked in for her op on the 17th March  ph34r

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 10:58:25 PM »
we thought about a litter from Gemma because we want another small cocker and had inquires if we were going down that road. but decided against it after finding out what is involved etc.
 Our little ginger pocket rocket will stay unique  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----