Author Topic: Puppy puddles so frustrating  (Read 538 times)

Offline DiJon

Puppy puddles so frustrating
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:13:51 PM »
Ozzy is now 12 weeks old and is dry during the night and day when crated. We put him out and he has a mega big wee usually followed by 2 smaller ones. The problem seems to be indoors, he comes back in and at times seems to have a little wee, there is no warning he just stops whatever he is doing and wees. We have tried puppy pads which he just drags all over  the room or just eats and we put him out after every play session and every 20-30 minutes or after a nap.
Di & Jon

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Puppy puddles so frustrating
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:31:01 PM »
aaH at 12 weeks he is still so young he doesn't know when he needs to go - he just goes, bless him he  has no control over it at all...and it will be some time before he does.  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »
Don't worry, it will click eventually but at 12 weeks, I'm afraid you could have accidents for a good few months yet.  He just doesn't know that he always has to go outside yet.  My rescue dog is 11 months old.  We've had her two months and she still has the odd wee in the house but its getting rarer as time goes on.

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:52:31 PM »
12 weeks is tiny! He's just like a toddler, he has no idea he needs to go until he needs to go right now!  ;) Bladder control will imorove with time. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't worry. You'll get there.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 12:17:45 AM »
I'd ditch the puppy pads as well if I were you. Plus as others suggest 12 weeks is very young - he will eventually get it but it does take time.

If it happens it happens.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 12:41:08 AM »
You could start (if you are not doing so already) using a cue word/phrase when you take him out into the garden - to start with I used 'good weewees' in a happy voice whilst Minstrel was actually doing a wee. Now I tell him to 'go weewee'..and he does...I still praise him. (You can use the same system for poops too -  only change the wording obviously).

Hopefully he will get to know that doing a wee/poop outside is good - only praise the ones outside, don't tell him off for accidents indoors.

But like everything else puppy, it takes time and they all seem to have their own pace for learning.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline DiJon

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 06:35:53 AM »
Thanks for all your support and advice. Sometimes we do forget he is only 12 weeks, we got him at 7 weeks and our older cocker Tia we got at 12 weeks, so there has been more of everything with Ozzy. :005:
Di & Jon